Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Dual Master Cyl on mid 50's Studebaker

Folks---- a few ?'s

Is a Dual master far better than SINGLE master, IF IF , a future front disc brake conversion is planned ? Does the TURNER brake frame mount dual master have enough "PUSH" with the foot to actuate the full hydraulic pressure needed for good stopping?

Lastly, is my old single master cyl just fine enough for disc brakes ? THANK U ALL

Originally posted by 63looks59 View Post
    Folks---- a few ?'s

Is a Dual master far better than SINGLE master, IF IF , a future front disc brake conversion is planned ? Does the TURNER brake frame mount dual master have enough "PUSH" with the foot to actuate the full hydraulic pressure needed for good stopping?

Lastly, is my old single master cyl just fine enough for disc brakes ? THANK U ALL
    Is safety a concern to you?
    With the single action master cylinder, if a brake line gives way you have NO brakes.
    With a dual master cylinder, if a brake line gives way, you still have 2 wheel brakes that will still be in service.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

I did a Turner dual master and disc brake conversion on my 52, along with all new hard lines and complete system rebuild. It's got great pedal feel and I can lock them, so plenty of power.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171027_123223.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1723956
      3H-C5 "The Blue Goose"

Comment

Originally posted by gjamesk View Post
        I did a Turner dual master and disc brake conversion on my 52, along with all new hard lines and complete system rebuild. It's got great pedal feel and I can lock them, so plenty of power.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]76090[/ATTACH]
        I did the same install on the Lark, with an eye for future disc brake upgrade (only have a few hundred miles on rebuilt drum brakes).

Comment

YES, worth every penny....
          I nearly lost my 2R5 about 2 blocks from the SNM due to a blown rear wheel cyl that had been sleeved and failed. Single pot MC lost all it's fluid in a couple pushes. went straight thru a stop light with no emergency brake, as the rear linings were coated with DOT 3.
          DID YOU KNOW YOU CAN DRIFT A STUDEBAKER?

Comment

Originally posted by gjamesk View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]76090[/ATTACH]
            What master cylinder is that?

Comment

Is a Dual master cyl Required For front disc brake conversion OR can the single master function fine for front disc ????

Comment

A single will function.................Now, define "fine". There's a big safety reason for dual master cylinders. The dual MC cost is about the same as a single and the re-plumbing is pretty simple and not expensive. To be even better, replace all the steel and rubber lines. Even the newest Studebaker brake lines are over 50 years old and have been corroding on the insides and rusting on the outsides all that time.
                Is a Dual master cyl Required For front disc brake conversion OR can the single master function fine for front disc ????
                sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                1950 Champion Convertible
                1950 Champion 4Dr
                1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                1957 Thunderbird

Comment

The safest way to brake is to drive as though the car might loose the brakes the next time you step on the pedal. Don't drive to the limit, like so many of today's fools on the road do. I've had modern dual master cylinder cars loose brakes on one side, and the pedal goes almost to the floor and scares the crap out of a person. I like my cars original, so I stick with the single master, but make sure the whole brake system is in good shape, and I always switch to DOT 5 silicone on my older cars.

Comment

What I am asking is what is the brand and part number or application of the master cylinder that is pictured.

Comment

Originally posted by 5brown1 View Post
                      What I am asking is what is the brand and part number or application of the master cylinder that is pictured.
                      That's the "Corvette style", available from most big hot rod stores and countless websites.

I purchased this one for my '51: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Unive...Bore,4316.html

I also bought a remote reservoir setup for it. I'll be installing it this weekend, I'll let you know how it works out.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                        That's the "Corvette style", available from most big hot rod stores and countless websites.

I purchased this one for my '51: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Unive...Bore,4316.html

I also bought a remote reservoir setup for it. I'll be installing it this weekend, I'll let you know how it works out.
                        I am a believer in split braking systems. This one that Matt posted looks good and is even less cost than a new replacement single system cylinder (I remember when they were $9.95.).
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

After the scare I had, i believe in Dual Pot MC's. Did you know that the emergency brake won't work if you coat the rear linings with fluid?

Comment

Here again, is the often overlooked judging rule regarding not penalizing owners for items changed for safety reasons. And I can't think of anything more important than brakes for safety! Even the Amish have taken to adding hydraulic brakes to their buggies. I have not installed dual master cylinders to any of my vintage cars, but I know I should.

Reflecting back, I recall 1964, my first car, was a 1955 four-door hardtop Buick Special. We had some relatives come to visit us who lived on the coast. Up until that time, I don't think they had ever been over a hundred and fifty miles inland! At our home on the N.C./S.C. state line, (near Shelby, N.C.) they were in awe of our rolling hills, and already acting as if they were in the mountains. We overloaded two cars, my 1955 Buick, and our 1953 Pontiac family sedan, and headed to the Blue Ridge Parkway! Me, a very inexperienced driver, and that old Pontiac with my Dad leading the way.

Back then, it was a great adventure. Zero cars with dual master cylinders. Our flatlander relatives might as well been on the moon. We had a terrific time, but in retrospect, it was really a dangerous excursion. My dad had schooled me on brake stabbing/checking rather than brake riding, and I listened. On that trip, we smelled lots of overheated brakes from others and a common site was people pulled over so their overheated brakes could cool.

Yesterday, I rode my motorcycle 165 miles on some of those mountain roads. Completely different era, and technology. Even the bike has ABS brakes. Probably all of us with the ability to do the work should summon up the energy to do the dual master upgrade on any of our cars we plan to use in public.
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I lost the brakes on my 51 Caddy hearse (6000#) once. Luckily I was approaching a light and had slowed down. I grabbed the E brake and got it stopped but have converted a half dozen older cars since then to dual circuit masters. You'd be sunk if it happened in the mountains.
                              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
                              X