Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: 63 GT front end rebuild

Looking for advise on what to buy
    A local suspension shop in business since 1928 & local members have used closes at the end of October
    I called to get in before he's gone forever and can get an appointment in 2 weeks. The owner said he won't order parts but would install whatever I bring him. At first I though the entire SI front suspension kit at $1300 was the way to go. I don't want to waste money on parts I don't need. What would you buy?
    There is slight but not excessive king pin play. The car tracks straight but has play in the steering wheel
    I was thinking all rubber bushings in upper & lower A arms. What about metal bushings?
    I have to order soon to have parts in time.
    All advise appreciated.

order everything available

let thee shop decide what parts are not good. Return what is not needed. jimmijim
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Found part of my problem

Whatever these wheels are - they're wrong
      Sway bar has ground down the inner threads to the cords.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0720.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	1723935
      Attached Files

Comment

Your wheels are so wrong. May be for a front wheel drive car. jimmijim
        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

My goodness how did you ever turn right or left ? Cheers

Comment

The sway bar is not touching the tread face. I'll bet the camber is way negative and/or the car has toe-out to scrub that edge off like that.

Comment

I agree. By looking at the wear and no feathered edge, I'd say the camber is way off.

Comment

...have you looked to see if the outer tie rod ends are also rubbing??

Comment

Outer tie rods are clear

Comment

Well that's a good thing!

Comment

After all was said & done, I had A arm bushings, king pins, sway arm bushings & new coil springs installed
                      i saw the old A arm bushings that were so worn, the side of the metal sleeve holding the rubber was worn through.
                      the previous owner said I needed a new steering box but all the slop came from the worn out parts not the steering box. It tracks straight & no play in the wheel.
                      on a bittersweet note, my car was the last one to pass through this shop’s doors after 90 years of operations.
                      My car is in the background on a news feature of this location

Comment

The (((ad))) leading to the clip is SIX minutes ..... l o n g .....
                        64 GT Hawk (K7)
                        1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Sorry, I don't own the TV station

Comment

Originally posted by Chartrain View Post
                            After all was said & done, I had A arm bushings, king pins, sway arm bushings & new coil springs installed
                            i saw the old A arm bushings that were so worn, the side of the metal sleeve holding the rubber was worn through.
                            the previous owner said I needed a new steering box but all the slop came from the worn out parts not the steering box. It tracks straight & no play in the wheel.
                            on a bittersweet note, my car was the last one to pass through this shop’s doors after 90 years of operations.
                            My car is in the background on a news feature of this location
                            https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/lo.../287-608361130

Good spring shops are getting hard to find. Down here in Austin there's no such thing as building springs from scratch...

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
                              The (((ad))) leading to the clip is SIX minutes ..... l o n g .....
                              The ad didn't run for me. BTW, was that jack stand on the rocker panel or the frame? I hope the latter!
                              Chip
                              '63 Cruiser
                              '57 Packard wagon
                              '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
                              '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Working...
                              X