• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well Done Custom

sigpic
    Dave Lester

Yup!
    Done by my late friend & Studebaker mentor Dennis Mills, who thought that pretty roofline was just wasted on the ugly '58 front end.
    Basically lost the tail fins, and mounted sedan front clip.
    Tail end of the hood is grafted just ahead of the cowl, to allow the '54 hood to meet the new windshield.
    Miss you Mills!

Comment

THAT CAR IS GORGEOUS ! ! ! ! I love it. It is indeed a beautifully thought out project. Where can I see more pictures?
      sals54

Comment

Originally posted by skyway View Post
        Yup!
        Done by my late friend & Studebaker mentor Dennis Mills, who thought that pretty roofline was just wasted on the ugly '58 front end.
        Basically lost the tail fins, and mounted sedan front clip.
        Tail end of the hood is grafted just ahead of the cowl, to allow the '54 hood to meet the new windshield.
        Miss you Mills!
        Kudos to your brilliant friends dream come to life. This car should stand as a testament to his vision.
        And my thought exactly on the waste of that very pretty roof line, lost on the ugliest front end ever to grace, (and I use that word with prejudice), any front end of any car.
        Very nicely done.
        I always envisioned a project like that, but with the 56 front clip. I love it this way.
        More pictures if you have them, please.
        sals54

Comment

I agree with all the above, but it needs a 2" chop.
          Jerry Forrester
          Forrester's Chrome
          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

I like it!
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Very cool idea!
              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Still need pictures... Who's got em?
                sals54

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                  Kudos to your brilliant friends dream come to life. This car should stand as a testament to his vision.
                  And my thought exactly on the waste of that very pretty roof line, lost on the ugliest front end ever to grace, (and I use that word with prejudice), any front end of any car.
                  Very nicely done.
                  I always envisioned a project like that, but with the 56 front clip. I love it this way.
                  More pictures if you have them, please.
                  You think ‘58 Studebaker is an ugly front end? Maybe you need to look at a ‘61 Plymouth! (Then you can also note the similarity of the ‘61 Plymouth to any recent Lexus.)

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                    Still need pictures... Who's got em?
                    I am not even on Facebook and I saw pictures from the posted link.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                      I am not even on Facebook and I saw pictures from the posted link.
                      I find no pictures; just a 24 second video. Where are the pictures you find?

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
                        I find no pictures; just a 24 second video. Where are the pictures you find?
                        I didn't see any still photos, just the video. To me, that falls in the "picture" category - a visual image.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

[QUOTE]Then you can also note the similarity of the ‘61 Plymouth to any recent Lexus.)[QUOTE]

Omigod, you are correct with the exception of the quad lights! Unbelievable, history does repeat itself..

Bill

Comment

[QUOTE=Buzzard;1128754][QUOTE]Then you can also note the similarity of the ‘61 Plymouth to any recent Lexus.)

Omigod, you are correct with the exception of the quad lights! Unbelievable, history does repeat itself..

Bill

I dissagree. Though you might wrangle an extremely faint resemblence, given the common "pinch" between the 61 Plymouth and the Lexus grills if you squint enough, the Lexus is FAR FAR uglier.

Comment

[QUOTE=bensherb;1128798][QUOTE=Buzzard;1128754]
                              Then you can also note the similarity of the ‘61 Plymouth to any recent Lexus.)
                              I dissagree. Though you might wrangle an extremely faint resemblence, given the common "pinch" between the 61 Plymouth and the Lexus grills if you squint enough, the Lexus is FAR FAR uglier.
                              I agree about the Lexus front end/grille. I have noticed that their TV ads now show much of the car and only briefly show the front. The only current one that I see as worse is its "cousin", the Toyota Avalon. To me, it looks like it was in an accident and the front wasn't rebuilt.

I am a little partial about 1961 Plymouths because my father bought one in 1961 and kept it until he traded it in on a 1964 Fury. I came very close to buying a new 1961 Plymouth hardtop, but decided to keep my 1957 President Classic a little longer.
                              Last edited by studegary; 09-26-2018, 05:26 PM. Reason: missing w
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                              X