Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Year of Manufacture Plates - Massachusetts... One or Two Plates??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Year of Manufacture Plates - Massachusetts... One or Two Plates??

Does Massachusetts allow year of manufacture plates on antique vehicles?

This should be a start:

To drive in Massachusetts, a vehicle and trailer needs to be properly registered with the RMV, and the vehicle owner must have a legally acquired title.

Visit the RMV's Online Service Center for over 60 transactions that can be completed online and skip the trip to the RMV.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yes. Vehicles must be 26 years old or older. If pairs were issued, one plate may be used.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

The plate or plates must be taken to the Mass. Registry of Motor Vehicles for inspection when you register the plates to your car. They have to be legible, not too bent or rusty, and cannot have been repainted. Of course, once they have been approved, they never have to go back to the Registry again...

If you have old plates from a number that has been in the family for a long time, you can have one modern car registered with the current year plate and one old car with a YOM plate having the same number. My wife inherited her grandfather's plate number (and a pile of old plates), has it on her Ford Edge, and I have the 1964 plate with the same number on my Studebaker Wagonaire.

Carry a copy of the Mass. YOM regulations in your glove compartment because not all policemen know the details, and the rules in other states are different. We recently got pulled over in NH by a local cop who didn't think you could drive on the highway with YOM plates. He was polite, but wanted some explanation.
        Gary Ash
        Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
        ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
        '48 M5
        '65 Wagonaire Commander
        '63 Wagonaire Standard
        web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

In Ohio , I only have to run a plate on rear because a 1946 , during war to save metal only issued one plate.
          Randy Wilkin
          1946 M5 Streetrod
          Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Thanks guys...

I'm not from MA but I "inherited" a single plate a bit rusty but undamaged otherwise and was just wondering if it was worth anything. I'm having it sent out to me and once received, I'll post a pix...

Comment

I remember one year of Massachusetts license plates that rusted badly. 1963 or 1964 are the years that stick in my mind.
              We had a cottage on a lake in NH and had a visit from relatives who lived in Weymouth Mass and the plates were quite rusty. I mentioned it to my cousins and they shushed me and said don’t mention it to my uncle as he was upset about it. Seems he had a new Ford and didn’t like the rusty plates on his new car.
              sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
              Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
              "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Working...
              X