Sometimes...I get distracted...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sometimes...I get distracted...

One of my often used complaints is "how far behind I am in keeping up with chores." Same complaint about my projects. This past week, I have spent several days trying to sort through the clutter, scattered tools, and miscellaneous junk...er...treasures lying around. It is a never-ending process. I start one project, stumble upon something that sparks an idea, and before I know it...hours have slipped by, and I have more clutter.

Today's early project...mow some grass. Simple, right? But, while retrieving the mower fuel can, the corner of my eye caught a glimpse of a long forgotten practical joke I played on my wife years ago. It was when I was doing a lot of traveling. She, who is almost allergic to fresh air(slight exaggeration), has never had to cut a blade of grass since our marriage on new years day 1971. So, while I was traveling, I called home one day and she said that if I would buy her a mower that didn't have to use a pull rope to start, she would mow the lawn. As a joke...I presented her with an antique manual push reel mower! As you can imagine...she was not impressed.

Anyway...today, I thought about how some guys take a lot of pride in their lawn care skills (not me) and spend big bucks on mowers in an attempt to get that professional stripe pattern seen on golf courses and sports fields. So...today's distraction found me digging through scrap and debris to fashion and cobble a hitch on the old cobweb-laced reel mower. A little lubricating, and I was all hitched up for the experiment.

It was over a decade ago that I spent five or ten bucks at a yard sale for that antique mower...finally, today, it made my wife laugh!

And...I'm even more behind on my chores.

[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Cool John, this set-up reminds me of my youth cutting the lawn with the sulky Gravely mower we had. My dad had a lawn sweeper that he adapted to the sulky to sweep up the clippings, and it worked relatively well except on occasion it would get stuck and then flip forward. This was a bit dangerous as the sweepers handle bar was long enough to give me a good hard smack in the back of my head. So be careful that your mower arrangement doesn't come back to bite you and give your wife some extra satisfaction. Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Colgate Studebaker View Post
      This was a bit dangerous as the sweepers handle bar was long enough to give me a good hard smack in the back of my head. Bill
      Having met you for the very first time this afternoon and having dinner with you and your lovely wife Patti, I can say. that statement explains a lot. <G>
      Jerry Forrester
      Forrester's Chrome
      Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

... worked relatively well except on occasion it would get stuck and then flip forward. This was a bit dangerous as the sweepers handle bar was long enough to give me a good hard smack in the back of my head. So be careful that your mower arrangement doesn't come back to bite you and give your wife some extra satisfaction. Bill
        Thanks for your concern, Bill. In this experiment, I took into account the safety issue and made the hitch rigid enough to lessen the chances of a forward flip. To me, this was an exercise to satisfy my curiosity, but will not be a practical application anyway. First, my mower is set up to provide a satisfactory stripe pattern. Second, is that I have taken the time to set my deck height to cut the grass at a true 3-inch height. The vintage reel mechanism has difficulty with that height and the cutting height differential is too much for it to handle. Third, although it is funny to watch the reel spit out so many clippings at power mower speeds...I don't think it would hold up very long or stay together. Even after I lubricated it to spin freely, and it is built about as tough as a sledgehammer, it was never intended to be run at the speed of a riding mower.

Bottom line is, I spent about two hours of curiosity time, for about twenty minutes of entertainment. Actually, it was all fun, but I'm still behind on important stuff. Then, to compound my things, later in the day, I managed to snap the main drive belt on the Hustler mower. At least...on a positive note, I had just finished with mowing chores when the belt gave up. Even that mishap gave me my first opportunity to use the winch I installed on my ATV (last year) for a real purpose. The winch pulled the mower into the barn so it will be out of the weather until I can find and install a new replacement belt.

I have several mowers, all rescued from folks that had given up on them. However, the Hustler is the only "NEW" one I ever bought. My problem with Hustler is that I have yet to find anyone selling them that lives up to the name, HUSTLER.

Maybe this coming week, I can get back to something important...like giving my Studebakers much needed attention.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Cool John, this set-up reminds me of my youth cutting the lawn with the sulky Gravely mower we had. My dad had a lawn sweeper that he adapted to the sulky to sweep up the clippings, and it worked relatively well except on occasion it would get stuck and then flip forward. This was a bit dangerous as the sweepers handle bar was long enough to give me a good hard smack in the back of my head. So be careful that your mower arrangement doesn't come back to bite you and give your wife some extra satisfaction. Bill
          How about this one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EyxYJiBsXs There is a previous thread on it, but the link to that video of the garden tractor-trailer clip is no longer present: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...amusement-ride

Craig

Comment

That's one way to make sure that your lawn is absolutely, positively, mowed to perfection. Just watch out for any stray animals and you should be fine.
            Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

I the last several years I have realized that many of us are too obsessed with perfectly mowed lawns. The manicured acres with perfectly cleaned fence rows leave no place for rabbits and other small creatures to exist. A lot of what we do is driven by what we fear the neighbors might think. Leaving "edge" also allows blooming plants to provide for bees also.
              Anyway, the reel mower thing is cute. I'm glad to see you are having fun with it.
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                I the last several years I have realized that many of us are too obsessed with perfectly mowed lawns. The manicured acres with perfectly cleaned fence rows leave no place for rabbits and other small creatures to exist. A lot of what we do is driven by what we fear the neighbors might think. Leaving "edge" also allows blooming plants to provide for bees also.
                Anyway, the reel mower thing is cute. I'm glad to see you are having fun with it.
                You mean critters like this??? Not the case around here. In fact, this one was caught stealing "GROUNDHOG BAIT." Viewing this little critter tugged at my heart. Any of you that recall our dear recently departed forum member, Lark Parker, will probably recall his signature line..."Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway." Which for those who paid attention to his posts, opinions, and how he adapted to his life's troubles, realize his intelligence went much deeper than the absolutely "crack you up" humor in which profound life lessons were gift wrapped.

[IMG][/IMG]

Dale...suffered the loss of his wife and serious health issues...he made the best of a bad situation. Here, this little possum, not knowing his fate, found a way to relax, and take a nap. Of course, the fact that I had fed him a piece of steak and a crispy creme donut didn't hurt. I turned him loose only to recapture him three days later. So, after an 18-mile drive deep in the mountains, he has an opportunity to eat (or be eaten) without fear of me trapping him. By giving him access to a less crowded highway, hopefully, his stroll will be more peaceful.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

John, I realized you were just extending your "fun'n" with the Mrs., but it sure made my memories of several slaps to the back of my head. I never had the ingenuity to figure out how to prevent it, so Jerry has proof of the effects it has left. Bill

Comment

Working...
                  X