Need Lark V8 brake info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Need Lark V8 brake info

To improve the braking of my '51 Champion, a club member has supplied me with front and rear backing plate assemblies from a V8 Lark for what should be pretty much a bolt-on upgrade. I'm in the process of getting good Lark V8 brake drums (11" front, 10" rear) now to put on my car's hubs. But I would also like to have copies of the exploded brake diagrams and parts lists from a Lark chassis manual just so I'll have some confidence that I've accumulated all the correct and necessary parts. And if I find I need something, having the part number is a good start to finding the part. I don't imagine the Lark brakes vary significantly from year to year, but I'm thinking somewhere around '62-'64.

If someone would be willing to Xerox those pages for the front and rear brakes, exploded diagrams and part number listings, I would really appreciate it. The Lark manuals are going for around $50+, and I'd rather put that money into the brake drums.

Also, if anyone has experience with this swap, I'd sure like to hear any advice or suggestions you have. I'm wondering whether the stock '51 master cylinder for a six-cylinder car will be alright with the new brakes, or should I use one from maybe a Commander V8 or Lark model? All input will be appreciated.

My address is 557 W. 25th Street, Merced, CA 95340 and I'll be glad to pay you for your time and trouble.

Thanks.

Your diagram is on its way. Luck Doofus

Comment

I would check master cylinder part numbers and use the one for the 11"/10" Lark brakes, just to keep everything compatible.
      sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
      1950 Champion Convertible
      1950 Champion 4Dr
      1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

You'll find the chassis parts manual there:http://www.studebaker-info.org/Tech/...hp309x331.html
        Just scroll down to the section that concerns you.
        Self-adjusting brakes appeared in 1963. I strongly suggest to study the shop manual too before doing anything.
        Nice day to all.
        sigpic

Comment

I did this swap a few years ago, it worked out well; the hardest part was trying to find drums that weren't maxed out so I could get them all turned before installation. Mine was a Commander so I rebuilt the M/C that was on the car.

Comment

All of the CAR Master Cylinders from 1951 to 1964 with under the floor M/C's interchange, because they are ALL 1 Inch Bore and Piston size, both 6's and 8's, but I would definitely replace your Old one with a fresh. clean, New one.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

OR even a replacement, dual chamber MC for even more safety. I would personally have opted for a front disc brake conversion also, but 11" drums will be a vast improvement also.
              Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              All of the CAR Master Cylinders from 1951 to 1964 with under the floor M/C's interchange, because they are ALL 1 Inch Bore and Piston size, both 6's and 8's, but I would definitely replace your Old one with a fresh. clean, New one.
              sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
              1950 Champion Convertible
              1950 Champion 4Dr
              1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
              1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Working...
              X