Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'56 Golden Hawk does the quarter mile in 7.8 sec.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Xcalibur View Post
    The fastest Stude-engined quarter I recall ever seeing was 9.99, which I still have the vid of, in a GT quite some time ago. It was by the guy in Alabama (whose name escapes me without going back to my old writings and finding it) who got his heads and cam from Jim Lange (the B'ville record holder, not the one who died years ago in the Northeast, as is sometimes confused here).
    Maybe you're thinking of Bo Burt from Montgomery, AL?

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Reminds me of being told by a former Stude owner that his stock '53 with the 232 had been clocked by a highway patrolman in Montana at 140 mph. I kept a straight face, honest.
      Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
      jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by paintim613 View Post
        Reminds me of being told by a former Stude owner that his stock '53 with the 232 had been clocked by a highway patrolman in Montana at 140 mph. I kept a straight face, honest.

It must have had overdrive.
        Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
        50 Champion 2 door*
        53 Commander K Auto*
        53 Commander K overdrive*
        55 President Speedster
        62 GT 4Speed*
        63 Avanti R1*
        64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Maybe, that was the number the HP gave him, to hike up the price of the ticket.
          Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

I have a timing slip packed away somewhere from my Dads heavily modified 56J. 1/4 mile 12.89 at Daytona in 1960.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

The 1/4 mile time of 7.8sec is correct.

(Must be, I read it on the internet)
              The funniest thing about this signature is by the time you realise it says nothing important, it's too late to stop reading it.

Comment

Supposedly, highway patrolman told him the next morning when they saw each other at a restaurant. Stude guy said he outran the highway patrolman the night before.
                Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
                Maybe, that was the number the HP gave him, to hike up the price of the ticket.
                Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
                jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

Me bad........I mean the new Mustangs of the last several years.
                  Originally posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
                  Maybe with a JATO rocket strapped on!

Comment

Sal are you old enough to remember the street racers running under the connecting highways in Queens before the road was finished???
                    Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                    I don't know what all you slugs are driving, but my 67 Champion Lark with the Ford motor will turn 1/4 mile times in the 7s all day long. And hit 140 in second gear. Sheesh. Ya just gotta keep yer foot in it, that's all.
                    Oh, I forgot... that's after it gets dropped out of the back of a C 130 at 20,000 feet. Minor detail.

Comment

Working...
                    X