Engine idles rough, sputters bad when throttle opened up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Engine idles rough, sputters bad when throttle opened up

I have a freshly rebuilt 289. The timing is set, dwell at 30 to start and the valves adjusted to .026 cold. It starts right up, but has some miss and when I open up the throttle, it bogs down big time and mis-fires. Although I have been out of practice for 20 years, I think I rebuilt the carburetor correctly! But I may have missed something. I can't seem to find any vacuum leaks as well. Any thoughts why I can't get this thing to smooth out rev up like a new motor should? BTW, the carb is a 2bll Stromberg WW.

Thanks.

Was it running strong BEFORE the Carb. Rebuild? Knowing that, would rule out many other issues including Electrical ones.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You should hook a vacuum tester to it. The readings will tell you the whole story.
      Nice day to all.
      sigpic

Comment

More info please, did this start right after the re-build or later.cross wired? bad fuel pump, dying coil or condenser? more clue's please.Luck Doofus

Comment

verify you have the firing order correct , its easy to get a couple of plug wires mixed up will cause miss/bog and will still start idle well enough
          sigpic1957 goldenhawk

Comment

The engine had blown head gaskets when I purchased it and ran bad. So I can't compare with that after the rebuild. It has a new coil and condenser, points cap and rotor. I suspect I must have done something wrong in rebuilding the carb. I'm just trying to pinpoint what I may have missed. What should I look for in a vacuum reading?

Comment

18436572 All checked.

Comment

Have you done a compression check with the new head gaskets?
                You haven't mentioned the year of the car. Does it have a PCV valve?
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

It's a 64 Hawk with full flow and PCV valve. Not done a compression check yet. It was bored out and a valve job done. At this point, I just assumed it should have just ran fine off the bat. Pretty much everything is new. Reground cam, new lifters, pistons and the crank polished. And all new bearings.

Comment

If the PCV valve is stuck or corroded, that will affect the fuel to air ration significantly.
                    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

My PCV valve was bad and leaking. I plugged the inlet at the throttle plate and it made no difference. Still wont rev up.

Comment

What's in the tank for fuel?
                        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Originally posted by jostanton1 View Post
                          What should I look for in a vacuum reading?
                          Here is a link to an example:https://www.classiccarrestorationclu...oubleshooting/
                          There are many others. You just have to google vacuum tester readings.
                          For what it's worth, I've seen such troubles caused only by defective spark plugs.
                          Nice day to all.
                          Last edited by christophe; 09-19-2018, 11:57 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Starting to sound like a really lean mixture. when you cleaned the carb did you remove the main jets, takes a special tool most of the time. a lot of Sif,Fonk, and Gradeu collect above the jets. Luck Doofus

Comment

I am taking the carb in for a professional rebuild. I think I blew it on my rebuild as I could not remove the jets. Thanks everyone for the tips!

Comment

Working...
                              X