Replacement 6x15 wheels for radial tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: Replacement 6x15 wheels for radial tires

Does anyone have a good source for replacement wheels for Studebakers. I'm looking for a 6" wide by 15" wheel, standard offset which can handle radial tires. Please don't suggest any tank like wheels that Cocker tire sells or going to a junk yards for a match and mix festival, or $100.00 wheels from Summit. there has to be a better solution.
    Jim Ober
    Jim Ober

I got mine at an RV outlet. They were "take offs" so they were new wheels.
    Peter Bishop

Comment

What's wrong with wrecking (junk) yards or Craigslist. A lot of Ford and Chrysler models used 5 X 4.5 wheels although they are getting hard to find in the 15" size.

If you can't stomach those sources in your price range, Google the bolt pattern and size you want and forge ahead fearlessly.

Avanti, Bob

Comment

Originally posted by oberjim View Post
        Does anyone have a good source for replacement wheels for Studebakers. I'm looking for a 6" wide by 15" wheel, standard offset which can handle radial tires. Please don't suggest any tank like wheels that Cocker tire sells or going to a junk yards for a match and mix festival, or $100.00 wheels from Summit. there has to be a better solution.
        Jim Ober
        There's a lot of info on the Forum if you search for it on this subject, but if you'd like new 15 x 6.5 black painted wheels, they're available from Factory Chrysler Parts, stock code 04684922; 04472543, for $84.21 each.

Can't use "dog dish" caps though, only full wheel covers.
        Last edited by 56GH; 09-18-2018, 09:00 AM. Reason: Morre info
        Bill L.
        1962 GT Hawk

Comment

The 1963 Lark Regal we own has been running radials on original wheels for over 20 years with no problem. Just my experience with this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by oberjim View Post
            Does anyone have a good source for replacement wheels for Studebakers. I'm looking for a 6" wide by 15" wheel, standard offset which can handle radial tires. Please don't suggest any tank like wheels that Coker tire sells or going to a junk yards for a match and mix festival, or $100.00 wheels from Summit. there has to be a better solution.
            You shouldn't have any problem finding the following wheels, especially when you consider where we live.

Whiz down to Brantford Street in Sun Valley and hit all the yards. Look for 1979/91 Crown Vic*/Grand Marquis, 1980/91 Town Car.

5 lug wheels on a 4 1/2" bolt circle: Some of these cars have 15" x 6," some have 15" x 6 1/2" wheels.

You can also use 15" x 6" 1977/79 LTD II(not an LTD!), Cougar/Thunderbird/Ranchero wheels.

*LTD name changed to Crown Vic in 1983, but then Ford offered 1983/86 LTD/Marquis. These are Fox body mid-sized (unit body) and usually have 14" wheels.
            Last edited by WinM1895; 10-02-2018, 10:23 AM.

Comment

I've got 2 of the 90s era Crown Vic black rims. 15" x 6" (iirc) They didn't fit on the back of my 60 Lark wagon. They're available, I've only had tires mounted on them then demounted once I found they didn't fit in the wells. Not free, but I'm flexible.

Comment

I'd also check back spacing unless other members have used these successfully
                I just pulled off 2 15 inch front wheels that ground the first row of tread on the tire down to the cord from rubbing on the sway bar when I turned. Stock StuClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0721.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	1723963de backspace is 31/2 while these were 41/2 so 1 inch further inboard. Swapped stock Stude back wheels to front for proper clearance.

Comment

You have to remember when going to larger width rims, that you should try and keep the center line of the wheel over the mid point between the wheel bearings. Equal distribution on either side makes for the best fitment and mechanical satisfaction. This makes you LOOK at both BACK SPACE and OFFSET. Too much pressure on either wheel bearing will cause some problems later.
                  64 GT Hawk (K7)
                  1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I checked, the rims I have are 6" backspace. With 215 sized tires, they wouldn't clear the fenders on the rear of my wagon.

Comment

Dave Thibault. He’s a Stude vendor in Maynard Ma. He is an expert in this area, and provided me brand new powder coated wheels ( factory correct off white) for our 66 Daytona. 15x6 and ready for radial tired. Made a world of difference. Look him up, you won’t be disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketchy26 View Post
                        Dave Thibault. He’s a Stude vendor in Maynard Ma. He is an expert in this area, and provided me brand new powder coated wheels ( factory correct off white) for our 66 Daytona. 15x6 and ready for radial tired. Made a world of difference. Look him up, you won’t be disappointed.
                        I believe the OP was looking for something REASONABLY Priced!
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Might look at the Wheel Vintiques website.

Comment

I have used 15" Ford Ranger steel wheels from late 90's to end of the Ranger production. The base slotted wheels have the lip needed to secure the wheel disc. Optional spoke steel wheels don't have this lip, so the wheel cover won't attach. You also need the larger Ford lug nuts with any of the newer Ford wheels.
                            I have run these with 225-75 series tires on my 66 Daytona with no problems. The wider wheels do improve the handling and ride.
                            sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                            1950 Champion Convertible
                            1950 Champion 4Dr
                            1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                            1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by dclerici1 View Post
                              Might look at the Wheel Vintiques website.
                              Beware of these wheels....I ordered 9 wheels to get 4 straight wheels, these came through Summit Racing.
                              Take the wheels and have them checked for run out and out of round PRIOR to painting, if you don't you own them.
                              Summit was very good on the return of the bad wheels, so hats off to them for excellent customer service.
                              Bill Foy
                              1000 Islands, Ontario
                              1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X