Thread: Replacement 6x15 wheels for radial tires

Champion Member

Replacement 6x15 wheels for radial tires

Does anyone have a good source for replacement wheels for Studebakers. I'm looking for a 6" wide by 15" wheel, standard offset which can handle radial tires. Please don't suggest any tank like wheels that Cocker tire sells or going to a junk yards for a match and mix festival, or $100.00 wheels from Summit. there has to be a better solution.
    Jim Ober
    Jim Ober

I got mine at an RV outlet. They were "take offs" so they were new wheels.

Peter Bishop
    Director,
    Northeast Zone

Silver Hawk Member
    What's wrong with wrecking (junk) yards or Craigslist. A lot of Ford and Chrysler models used 5 X 4.5 wheels although they are getting hard to find in the 15" size.

If you can't stomach those sources in your price range, Google the bolt pattern and size you want and forge ahead fearlessly.

Avanti, Bob
    , ,

Quote Originally Posted by oberjim View Post
    Does anyone have a good source for replacement wheels for Studebakers. I'm looking for a 6" wide by 15" wheel, standard offset which can handle radial tires. Please don't suggest any tank like wheels that Cocker tire sells or going to a junk yards for a match and mix festival, or $100.00 wheels from Summit. there has to be a better solution.
    Jim Ober
    There's a lot of info on the Forum if you search for it on this subject, but if you'd like new 15 x 6.5 black painted wheels, they're available from Factory Chrysler Parts, stock code 04684922; 04472543, for $84.21 each.

Can't use "dog dish" caps though, only full wheel covers.
    Last edited by 56GH; 09-18-2018 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Morre info
    Bill L.
    1962 GT Hawk

Speedster Member
    The 1963 Lark Regal we own has been running radials on original wheels for over 20 years with no problem. Just my experience with this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by oberjim View Post
    Does anyone have a good source for replacement wheels for Studebakers. I'm looking for a 6" wide by 15" wheel, standard offset which can handle radial tires. Please don't suggest any tank like wheels that Coker tire sells or going to a junk yards for a match and mix festival, or $100.00 wheels from Summit. there has to be a better solution.
    You shouldn't have any problem finding the following wheels, especially when you consider where we live.

Whiz down to Brantford Street in Sun Valley and hit all the yards. Look for 1979/91 Crown Vic*/Grand Marquis, 1980/91 Town Car.

5 lug wheels on a 4 1/2" bolt circle: Some of these cars have 15" x 6," some have 15" x 6 1/2" wheels.

You can also use 15" x 6" 1977/79 LTD II(not an LTD!), Cougar/Thunderbird/Ranchero wheels.

*LTD name changed to Crown Vic in 1983, but then Ford offered 1983/86 LTD/Marquis. These are Fox body mid-sized (unit body) and usually have 14" wheels.
    Last edited by WinM1895; 10-02-2018 at 02:23 PM.

I've got 2 of the 90s era Crown Vic black rims. 15" x 6" (iirc) They didn't fit on the back of my 60 Lark wagon. They're available, I've only had tires mounted on them then demounted once I found they didn't fit in the wells. Not free, but I'm flexible.

Commander Member
    I'd also check back spacing unless other members have used these successfully
    I just pulled off 2 15 inch front wheels that ground the first row of tread on the tire down to the cord from rubbing on the sway bar when I turned. Stock StuIMG_0721.jpgde backspace is 31/2 while these were 41/2 so 1 inch further inboard. Swapped stock Stude back wheels to front for proper clearance.

President Member
    You have to remember when going to larger width rims, that you should try and keep the center line of the wheel over the mid point between the wheel bearings. Equal distribution on either side makes for the best fitment and mechanical satisfaction. This makes you LOOK at both BACK SPACE and OFFSET. Too much pressure on either wheel bearing will cause some problems later.
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

I checked, the rims I have are 6" backspace. With 215 sized tires, they wouldn't clear the fenders on the rear of my wagon.

Commander Member
    Dave Thibault. He’s a Stude vendor in Maynard Ma. He is an expert in this area, and provided me brand new powder coated wheels ( factory correct off white) for our 66 Daytona. 15x6 and ready for radial tired. Made a world of difference. Look him up, you won’t be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy26 View Post
    Dave Thibault. He’s a Stude vendor in Maynard Ma. He is an expert in this area, and provided me brand new powder coated wheels ( factory correct off white) for our 66 Daytona. 15x6 and ready for radial tired. Made a world of difference. Look him up, you won’t be disappointed.
    I believe the OP was looking for something REASONABLY Priced!

Champion Member
    Might look at the Wheel Vintiques website.

I have used 15" Ford Ranger steel wheels from late 90's to end of the Ranger production. The base slotted wheels have the lip needed to secure the wheel disc. Optional spoke steel wheels don't have this lip, so the wheel cover won't attach. You also need the larger Ford lug nuts with any of the newer Ford wheels.
    I have run these with 225-75 series tires on my 66 Daytona with no problems. The wider wheels do improve the handling and ride.
    1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dclerici1 View Post
    Might look at the Wheel Vintiques website.
    Beware of these wheels....I ordered 9 wheels to get 4 straight wheels, these came through Summit Racing.
    Take the wheels and have them checked for run out and out of round PRIOR to painting, if you don't you own them.
    Summit was very good on the return of the bad wheels, so hats off to them for excellent customer service.
    Bill Foy
    1000 Islands, Ontario
    1953 Starlight Coupe

Speedster Member
    Depending on the car, either ranger wheels or custom made. On the rear of the ‘59/‘60 wagons the offset needs to be big for 6” wide wheels, I used fwd mini van wheels (downside is you can’t run stock hubcaps...large or small). The front wheels are custom made disc brake hoop with Ford shoebox inners with a 3” backspace. Quality made and run true......all from used parts to keep the cost down.

Collins custom wheels in Bellflower, Ca.
    They also have used wheels and LOTS of hubcaps for sale.

Same with me.....running radials on Champ since the early eighties and my Hawk came with radials in 2014....never had a problem......
    Quote Originally Posted by sochocki View Post
    The 1963 Lark Regal we own has been running radials on original wheels for over 20 years with no problem. Just my experience with this issue.
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

I also run radials on my original 1950 Champion and Land Cruiser wheels, and have no problems.