Thread: 1958 Packard Hawk on Display at the Gilmore Car Museum

1958 Packard Hawk on Display at the Gilmore Car Museum

I posted several pictures on Vintage Ford Forum, so there is no need to post them all again here, but here are a few pictures of the 58 Packard Hawk they had on display. For those who have not been to Gilmore, it's near Hickory Corners, Michigan, which is just about 12 miles north of Kalamazoo. I first heard about Gilmore about 7 years ago, and have been going back every year.

013.jpg014.jpg016.jpg017.jpg
    Here's a link to VFF.
    https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...re-model-a-day

Nice. Pretty close to stock. Other than the dash paint colors,(it could be the lighting), and the chrome headlight rims, and red wheels. I still miss ours.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bezhawk View Post
    Nice. Pretty close to stock. Other than the dash paint colors,(it could be the lighting), and the chrome headlight rims, and red wheels. I still miss ours.
    Those chrome headlight rims really detract from it (IMO).
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

I have to agree with you there stuegary.. Makes it look like a bug eye as the headlights really stand out ..
    Love my Lark

President Member Jerry Forrester's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    Those chrome headlight rims really detract from it (IMO).
    I like the chrome head light rims.
    What would really set it off, is if the entire nose was chrome plated. <G>
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
    I like the chrome head light rims.
    What would really set it off, is if the entire nose was chrome plated. <G>
    I know you deal in chrome Jerry, but do you really think that would be an enhancement? How did it work for the '55 Studebaker? I have a '55 President Coupe, and I have always thought all that chrome made them look awkwardly heavy (if not gaudy). I wish they had only tweaked the '54 front for the '55 model.

Not just Studebaker, but through the years, there are several times I think that Auto designers "regressed" rather than upgraded their previous models.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

Quote Originally Posted by jclary View Post
    I know you deal in chrome Jerry, but do you really think that would be an enhancement? How did it work for the '55 Studebaker? I have a '55 President Coupe, and I have always thought all that chrome made them look awkwardly models.
    I don't think it looks as awkward as it does on 2009 & later Acuras. I don't find that heavy chrome beak of a grille on those cars and SUV's enhances them in any way at all.

Craig

President Member
    We stopped off at Gilmore two years ago, thanks to suggestions here on our forum. It is absolutely stunning as they have complete buildings designated to specific marques such as Cadillac and Lincoln. If you get near that neck of the woods it is truly a must see. We tried to do it in one day but in reality two would be much better as I know we missed a fair bit of detail.
    Bill

President Member Commander Eddie's Avatar
    I have seen '55s with the chrome in front replaced with paint (body color) and they look really nice. They look more like the Packard Hawk front ends that way. DSCN4549.jpgDSCN4013.jpg
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Silver Hawk Member
    And then there's gold plating; some like it enough to pay big bucks for it and some don't.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
    We stopped off at Gilmore two years ago, thanks to suggestions here on our forum. It is absolutely stunning as they have complete buildings designated to specific marques such as Cadillac and Lincoln. If you get near that neck of the woods it is truly a must see. We tried to do it in one day but in reality two would be much better as I know we missed a fair bit of detail.
    I did allow myself two days to go through it all. As I stated in the recent thread on the close-by Hudson-Essex-Terraplane collection in Shipshewana being auctioned off, they all should have ended up there in a new building dedicated to Hudson.

Craig

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 8E45E View Post
    I did allow myself two days to go through it all. As I stated in the recent thread on the close-by Hudson-Essex-Terraplane collection in Shipshewana being auctioned off, they all should have ended up there in a new building dedicated to Hudson.Craig
    Craig, we agree on the collection. I am sure Eldon Hostetler would have considered putting his beautiful cars in the Gilmore if he had any idea of the outcome of placing them in Shipshewana.

President Member Jerry Forrester's Avatar
    I know you deal in chrome Jerry, but do you really think that would be an enhancement? How did it work for the '55 Studebaker? I have a '55 President Coupe, and I have always thought all that chrome made them look awkwardly heavy (if not gaudy). I wish they had only tweaked the '54 front for the '55 model.

Not just Studebaker, but through the years, there are several times I think that Auto designers "regressed" rather than upgraded their previous models.
    Did you see the big G after the statement? I guess a wink is as good as a nod to a blind horse. <G>
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Golden Hawk Member

You can't blame the designers/stylists for the 1955 nose. Bob Bourke fought it and lost to management that was trying to make the car look more like a Buick.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Golden Hawk Member
    I don't think it looks as awkward as it does on 2009 & later Acuras. I don't find that heavy chrome beak of a grille on those cars and SUV's enhances them in any way at all.

Craig
    I agree. Shortly after they went to that styling, I went into the Acura showroom and told them that I would not buy another Acura as long as they had that snow plow front end. The rear end styling of the TL during most of that period was also "strange". My Acura was before they went to that weird styling. I assume that you know that Acura has gone away from that weird styling including the snow plow front end.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

President Member
    Eddie,
    I highly agree with the body color transformation. It makes a huge improvement (at least in my humble opinion) and yes, tends to reflect the future Packard Hawk front styling.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    I assume that you know that Acura has gone away from that weird styling including the snow plow front end.
    Yes, Acura slowly backed away from it a little more each year from 2014. Only the current ILX has traces of that unhappy grille.

Craig

Golden Hawk Member
    Yes, Acura slowly backed away from it a little more each year from 2014. Only the current ILX has traces of that unhappy grille.

Craig
    The ILX receives a major redesign for 2019. The grille will go to the new corporate grille of an opening with an "A" in it.
    What I call the snow plow look and Acura referred to as a shield will finally be gone from all Acura models.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968