Thread: 289 wagonaire has slight surge suddenly

Speedster Member

289 wagonaire has slight surge suddenly

My wagonaire has suddenly developed a slight surge, seems like at lower speed and cruising speed. It is similar to what you feel when a/c compressor kicks in. It has pertronix ign and new plug wires and spark plugs. It has been running great after overhaul and finding bad plug wires, just noticed this surging when going to show this weekend. Not sure where to start to diagnose the problem.

I'm quite new here and no expert but here's what I would try....

Did you fit the new wires, pertronix and plugs all at the same time? If so, I would remove each item seperately and replace with original to see if you can eliminate which one may be at fault. The only other thing I can think of is the fuel pump perhaps?

Hope you find the problem soon.

Steve.

Did you Power the Pertronix Module with a Pertronix Flame Thrower 40,000 Volt Coil?

And if so, did you give it the full 12 Volts in "Run Mode" WITHOUT the Pink resistance wire from the Ign. Sw. or a remote Resister block per the instructions?

It is always also good to separate the the #5 and #7 Spark Plug wires, and do not run them Parallel, if you have to, they can cross though. This is to prevent crossfire.

What kind of Carb. are you running? They are often the cause of surging along with several others.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 09-17-2018 at 12:24 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

President Member
    Don't know anything about electronic distributors, but slight surge on a steady throttle is often the result of a lean fuel mixture?

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StudeRich View Post
    Did you Power the Pertronix Module with a Pertronix Flame Thrower 40,000 Volt Coil?

And if so, did you give it the full 12 Volts in "Run Mode" WITHOUT the Pink resistance wire from the Ign. Sw. or a remote Resister block per the instructions?

It is always also good to separate the the #5 and #7 Spark Plug wires, and do not run them Parallel, if you have to, they can cross though. This is to prevent crossfire.

What kind of Carb. are you running? They are often the cause of surging along with several others.
    Yes I have the flame thrower coil and running full 12v. It's the Stromberg 6-132 carb. I am thing that is most likely where the problem is. I had a lot of trouble with it in the past, but last time I took it apart and cleaned it has been working good, other than I get terrible gas mileage (10mpg). It idles smooth as a babies butt but when I speed engine up and hold it, then it does the surging thing. When i went to pull the car around to the house it backfired, so I thought maybe it spit the vacuum hose off, but its ok. Doesn't really seem like ignition, but anything is possible.

Golden Hawk Member
    Surging is most likely a fuel issue.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

President Member
    Agree. My tractor would surge and it was very annoying. If I drive 15 miles I can get non-moonshine gas and it does not surge. No-our^%$#@!!*%$## politicians will not allow farmers to put anything but ethanol in a farm fuel tank. I hate those weasels.