intake manifold observation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: intake manifold observation

Im switching my 259 over to 4bbl and something that I have seen before caught my brain in a different way today.

To my understanding the stock 4bbl intake manifold is a dual plane intake because of the divider running down the middle.
    What are those cut outs for directly under the mating surface for the intake to carb?
    Do they even out pulses, they for drive-ability?
    Do those cut outs make it a single plane? 1.5 plane ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0612.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	1759459
    Attached Files
    Last edited by what huh; 09-15-2018, 02:53 PM.
    Charles

1961 Lark Regal VIII 259/auto -- Lucy

Just regard it as a balance tube, something that most factory multi-carb setups have.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Looks like a square bore Intake for the smaller secondary throttle plates on a Carter WCFB 4 Barrel.

It was cast March 15, 1962 for a '62 Model.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 09-15-2018, 04:50 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Interesting, I just checked the manifolds I have and one is like yours, the another is totally seperated left and right with just a thin bridge between front and rear, and the third has a single large hole left and right but still totally seperated.

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
          Interesting, I just checked the manifolds I have and one is like yours, the another is totally seperated left and right with just a thin bridge between front and rear, and the third has a single large hole left and right but still totally seperated.
          The first with the balance slots is regular Stude. If AFB, also used on R2. The second is likely R1 since they did not have the slots. The third is likely a 2 bbl conversion.
          78 Avanti RQB 2792
          64 Avanti R1 R5408
          63 Avanti R1 R4551
          63 Avanti R1 R2281
          62 GT Hawk V15949
          56 GH 6032504
          56 GH 6032588
          55 Speedster 7160047
          55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            It was cast March 15, 1962 for a '62 Model.
            Is there a chart somewhere where the casting dates can be interpreted? I have a manifold very similar with the date 2 23 M
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

So I thought it would be easy to find a adaptor to put a Holley on my engine.

This intake has spread-bore mounting but square-bore holes. The Holley has square bore butterfly’s and square bore mounting

I would like to keep the plenum in my adaptor plate but all the ones I find are all open.

I might make my own, I got a 1” thick piece of 6061
              Charles

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
                Is there a chart somewhere where the casting dates can be interpreted? I have a manifold very similar with the date 2 23 M
                I believe 2 23 M translates to February 23, 1958. Likely a 58 model manifold. I believe they skipped the letter Q because it is similar to the letter O.
                78 Avanti RQB 2792
                64 Avanti R1 R5408
                63 Avanti R1 R4551
                63 Avanti R1 R2281
                62 GT Hawk V15949
                56 GH 6032504
                56 GH 6032588
                55 Speedster 7160047
                55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

A machine shop with a milling machine could easily modify your manifold to accept the carb you want to use. It's done often in the Studebaker world.Two barrel manifolds can be milled and new holes and mounting studs for 4 barrels are done all the time.
                  Originally posted by what huh View Post

This intake has spread-bore mounting but square-bore holes. The Holley has square bore butterfly’s and square bore mounting

I would like to keep the plenum in my adaptor plate but all the ones I find are all open.

sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                  1950 Champion Convertible
                  1950 Champion 4Dr
                  1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                  1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by what huh View Post

I don't quite follow what you're talking about. "Spread bore mounting" ? Holley carbs just have a different, slightly larger, pattern than Carter carbs have. The Edelbrock #2696 carb adapter is a four hole, no open plenum adapter and will fit a spread bore carb to a square bore manifold and has both Holley and Carter bolt patterns. Should be able to flip it to put a square bore carb on a spread bore manifold. https://www.marineengineparts.com/ed...to-spread-bore

What Holley carb are you wanting to use , a 6210 spread bore? Or 4150/60 square bore? The 6210 is a replacement for a Rochester Quadra Jet and has a different mounting pattern than the other carbs.
                    Last edited by bensherb; 09-17-2018, 11:53 PM.

Comment

I have a 4160 390cfm

The adapter plate that you linked doesnt match the holes in the manifold or the carb at the same time, just one or the other based on how you flip it. It may work but puts unneeded turns or sharp edges in the path that fuel will unvaporize(wrong word probably) back into a liquid.

I know it’s just 259 but I like tweaking and learning
                      Last edited by what huh; 09-18-2018, 04:20 AM.
                      Charles

Comment

It sounds like you have a manifold for a Carter WCFB, which has yet another different bolt pattern. If that's the case you need this adapter, it will fit either the standard Holley or Carter carb to your WCFB manifold or the Holley to the AFB manifold. https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Holle...hoCdZAQAvD_BwE

If you really want to make a spacer/adapter, make it from phenolic it'll help with heat soaking and fuel percolation. The currently available fuel boils quickly and anything you can do to avoid it is a good thing.
                        Last edited by bensherb; 09-18-2018, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
                          It sounds like you have a manifold for a Carter WCFB, which has yet another different bolt pattern. If that's the case you need this adapter, it will fit either the standard Holley or Carter carb to your WCFB manifold or the Holley to the AFB manifold. https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Holle...hoCdZAQAvD_BwE

If you really want to make a spacer/adapter, make it from phenolic it'll help with heat soaking and fuel percolation. The currently available fuel boils quickly and anything you can do to avoid it is a good thing.
                          YEEES! That’s exactly what I’m looking for, I bought it.

Thank you, I still have the slab of 6061, I may still make it over the winter but cruisers weekend in ocean city, MD is coming up quick
                          Charles

Comment

Working...
                          X