Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: intake manifold observation

  1. #1
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Cape May, NJ
    Posts
    364

    intake manifold observation

    Im switching my 259 over to 4bbl and something that I have seen before caught my brain in a different way today.

    To my understanding the stock 4bbl intake manifold is a dual plane intake because of the divider running down the middle.
    What are those cut outs for directly under the mating surface for the intake to carb?
    Do they even out pulses, they for drive-ability?
    Do those cut outs make it a single plane? 1.5 plane ?

    IMG_0612.jpg
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by what huh; 09-15-2018 at 05:53 PM.
    1961 Lark Regal VIII 259/auto -- Lucy

  2. #2
    Silver Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Trochu, Alberta , Canada.
    Posts
    5,382
    Just regard it as a balance tube, something that most factory multi-carb setups have.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

  3. #3
    Golden Hawk Member StudeRich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ferndale, WA, USA.
    Posts
    28,277
    Looks like a square bore Intake for the smaller secondary throttle plates on a Carter WCFB 4 Barrel.

    It was cast March 15, 1962 for a '62 Model.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 09-15-2018 at 07:50 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner




  4. #4
    President Member bensherb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Tracy / Goleta Ca.
    Posts
    860
    Interesting, I just checked the manifolds I have and one is like yours, the another is totally seperated left and right with just a thin bridge between front and rear, and the third has a single large hole left and right but still totally seperated.

  5. #5
    President Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wimauma, FL, USA.
    Posts
    759
    Quote Originally Posted by bensherb View Post
    Interesting, I just checked the manifolds I have and one is like yours, the another is totally seperated left and right with just a thin bridge between front and rear, and the third has a single large hole left and right but still totally seperated.
    The first with the balance slots is regular Stude. If AFB, also used on R2. The second is likely R1 since they did not have the slots. The third is likely a 2 bbl conversion.

  6. #6
    Silver Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Seligman, Az USA.
    Posts
    5,045
    Quote Originally Posted by StudeRich View Post
    It was cast March 15, 1962 for a '62 Model.
    Is there a chart somewhere where the casting dates can be interpreted? I have a manifold very similar with the date 2 23 M
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

  7. #7
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Cape May, NJ
    Posts
    364
    So I thought it would be easy to find a adaptor to put a Holley on my engine.

    This intake has spread-bore mounting but square-bore holes. The Holley has square bore butterfly’s and square bore mounting

    I would like to keep the plenum in my adaptor plate but all the ones I find are all open.

    I might make my own, I got a 1” thick piece of 6061

  8. #8
    President Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wimauma, FL, USA.
    Posts
    759
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Webb View Post
    Is there a chart somewhere where the casting dates can be interpreted? I have a manifold very similar with the date 2 23 M
    I believe 2 23 M translates to February 23, 1958. Likely a 58 model manifold. I believe they skipped the letter Q because it is similar to the letter O.

  9. #9
    President Member thunderations's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,541
    A machine shop with a milling machine could easily modify your manifold to accept the carb you want to use. It's done often in the Studebaker world.Two barrel manifolds can be milled and new holes and mounting studs for 4 barrels are done all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by what huh View Post
    So I thought it would be easy to find a adaptor to put a Holley on my engine.

    This intake has spread-bore mounting but square-bore holes. The Holley has square bore butterfly’s and square bore mounting

    I would like to keep the plenum in my adaptor plate but all the ones I find are all open.

    I might make my own, I got a 1” thick piece of 6061
    1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

  10. #10
    President Member bensherb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Tracy / Goleta Ca.
    Posts
    860
    Quote Originally Posted by what huh View Post
    So I thought it would be easy to find a adaptor to put a Holley on my engine.

    This intake has spread-bore mounting but square-bore holes. The Holley has square bore butterfly’s and square bore mounting

    I would like to keep the plenum in my adaptor plate but all the ones I find are all open.

    I might make my own, I got a 1” thick piece of 6061
    I don't quite follow what you're talking about. "Spread bore mounting" ? Holley carbs just have a different, slightly larger, pattern than Carter carbs have. The Edelbrock #2696 carb adapter is a four hole, no open plenum adapter and will fit a spread bore carb to a square bore manifold and has both Holley and Carter bolt patterns. Should be able to flip it to put a square bore carb on a spread bore manifold. https://www.marineengineparts.com/ed...to-spread-bore

    What Holley carb are you wanting to use , a 6210 spread bore? Or 4150/60 square bore? The 6210 is a replacement for a Rochester Quadra Jet and has a different mounting pattern than the other carbs.
    Last edited by bensherb; 09-18-2018 at 02:53 AM.

  11. #11
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Cape May, NJ
    Posts
    364
    I have a 4160 390cfm

    The adapter plate that you linked doesnt match the holes in the manifold or the carb at the same time, just one or the other based on how you flip it. It may work but puts unneeded turns or sharp edges in the path that fuel will unvaporize(wrong word probably) back into a liquid.

    I know it’s just 259 but I like tweaking and learning
    Last edited by what huh; 09-18-2018 at 07:20 AM.

  12. #12
    President Member bensherb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Tracy / Goleta Ca.
    Posts
    860
    It sounds like you have a manifold for a Carter WCFB, which has yet another different bolt pattern. If that's the case you need this adapter, it will fit either the standard Holley or Carter carb to your WCFB manifold or the Holley to the AFB manifold. https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Holle...hoCdZAQAvD_BwE

    If you really want to make a spacer/adapter, make it from phenolic it'll help with heat soaking and fuel percolation. The currently available fuel boils quickly and anything you can do to avoid it is a good thing.
    Last edited by bensherb; 09-18-2018 at 12:52 PM.

  13. #13
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Cape May, NJ
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by bensherb View Post
    It sounds like you have a manifold for a Carter WCFB, which has yet another different bolt pattern. If that's the case you need this adapter, it will fit either the standard Holley or Carter carb to your WCFB manifold or the Holley to the AFB manifold. https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Holle...hoCdZAQAvD_BwE

    If you really want to make a spacer/adapter, make it from phenolic it'll help with heat soaking and fuel percolation. The currently available fuel boils quickly and anything you can do to avoid it is a good thing.
    YEEES! That’s exactly what I’m looking for, I bought it.

    Thank you, I still have the slab of 6061, I may still make it over the winter but cruisers weekend in ocean city, MD is coming up quick

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •