Thread: Axle ratio

Axle ratio

My 63 Lark was a six cylinder but has the 289 slotted in. Assuming the rear axle is the standard item, what final drive would I have?
    Cheers,
    Steve

There should be a tag on the differential.....
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LarkingAround View Post
    My 63 Lark was a six cylinder but has the 289 slotted in. Assuming the rear axle is the standard item, what final drive would I have?
    Cheers,
    Steve
    Steve,

The axle ratio could be different depending on the transmission it originally had - automatic, straight 3-speed, or 3-speed with overdrive. Plus, there were optional ratios that could be specified when ordering; for example, if you lived in a very flat area and didn't travel to mountainous areas much, you might choose a somewhat higher rear axle ratio for higher top speed.

Plus, unless you know all the history of the car from new, you don't know if the rear axle had been swapped sometime in the last 50 years.

Do what Lou suggested, look for the tag attached to one of the lower bolts on the rear axle cover. If the tag is gone, you can either remove the rear cover and count the number of teeth on the ring and the number of teeth on the pinion, then divide the ring teeth by the pinion teeth............or jack up one side of the rear of the car (assuming it is not a Twin Traction) and rotate the wheel twice counting the number of turns of the driveshaft. The number if turns of the driveshaft is the rear axle ratio. For example, if it turned 3 and 3/4 times, it's a 3.73:1 ratio.
    Last edited by r1lark; 09-16-2018 at 05:59 AM. Reason: corrected mistake
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

President Member Jerry Forrester's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by r1lark View Post
    Steve,

The axle ratio could be different depending on the transmission it originally had - automatic, straight 3-speed, or 3-speed with overdrive. Plus, there were optional ratios that could be specified when ordering; for example, if you lived in a very flat area and didn't travel to mountainous areas much, you might choose a somewhat higher rear axle ratio for higher top speed.

Plus, unless you know all the history of the car from new, you don't know if the rear axle had been swapped sometime in the last 50 years.

Do what Lou suggested, look for the tag attached to one of the lower bolts on the rear axle cover. If the tag is gone, you can either remove the rear cover and count the number of teeth on the ring and the number of teeth on the pinion, then divide the ring teeth by the pinion teeth............or jack up one side of the rear of the car (assuming it is not a Twin Traction) and rotate the driveshaft counting the number of turns of the driveshaft it takes to turn the wheel one complete revolution.
    I always turn the wheel TWO revolutions while counting the number of times the driveshaft has turned.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Unless it was an Overdrive Car, it would be a 3.73 Ratio, lightweight Dana Model 27 for a "6" or a 259 V8.

All of the above info works, OR you can pull the rear cover and read the stamped Ratio and Mfg. Date on the edge of the Ring Gear!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
    I always turn the wheel TWO revolutions while counting the number of times the driveshaft has turned.
    Whoops.........thanks Jerry, I'll correct my post.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

Thanks guys. In the UK we "got what we got" and there were no real options when it came to axle ratios. (As far as I'm aware anyway.) We had the option of overdrive on some cars and that was about it. My car does seem quite low geared, it accelerates like a cat with mustard up its a*se but cruising on the main roads is a no no above 60mph. It will do it but it sounds as if it needs another gear.
    However I may be expecting a little too much perhaps? I spoke to a friend of mine who has a Champion with a 170ci 6 pot and I believe he has a manual overdrive gearbox. He tells me his car is happy at 65mph on the open road so I thought with mine being a V8 it would be similar?
    Maybe I'm too mechanically sympathetic and I don't like to hear my poor old car revving at what I feel is too high for sustained cruising?
    The acceleration is nice though, it's surprised a few Gary boys from the lights in their Chav-mobiles
    Because I've only had the car a short time I'm not completely sure what I have. I know the S63 means it was a 6 pot but otherwise I'm discovering as I go along.
    What I do know is that Stude's are obviously a bug and I've caught it.

Your car seems to have a 3,73 rear end. It sure would be happier with a 3,31, which was standard on v8 models. Dont forget you can cheat a little by using bigger tyres. In any case, remove the rear cover to perform a thourough cleaning.
    Nice day to all.

Blog Entries
    Steve, what transmission are you running with the V8?
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

Thanks Christophe. My tyres are the wrong size being 195/65x15 I don't know why they were put on the car but even the spare is that size.

Paul my car has the three speed auto.

Availability perhaps.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Possibly in Japan?? But here in the UK 195/80's are readily available. I'll get a set soon either 195/80 or 205/75.

Unless you have power steering , I would not get larger tyres than 195. FWIW, I 'm very happy with my Retro Classic 001 but these are 185. My comment is based on my Hawk equipped with a Ross steering box. If you have the steering box with recirculating balls, this might be different. By the way, don't forget to grease the steering box with the proper lubricant.

I do have power steering but will probably still opt for the 195/80 for the slightly higher tyre wall. This should help a little more with the gearing.
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc...0r15-205-75r15

I've been running 215-75-15 on my Studebakers with no problems. Even ran 225-75's on the 66 Daytona and they touch the front fenders during a tight turn and a dip, but not bad.
    1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Good to know cheers. The 65 profiles I have on there at the moment look way to small. I would have liked whitewalls but the price of them here is horrendous. I found a set last year for my Vanguard and they were over £1,000 to buy, then obviously required fitting. I cheated and went for the Atlas flaps

DSCN0257.jpg

Wow, did they clone a 1950 Bathtub NASH?

It's a 1950 Standard Vanguard phase 1 beetle back. 2088cc 4 cylinder with an engine very similar to a Massey Ferguson tractor. It had a top speed of around 78MPH with a 0-60 time of a scorching 22 seconds. It was apparently based on a model of Plymouth. Can't remember which one though.

Silver Hawk Member
    Since it is your thread, getting half a world away off topic is no problem. So yes, the Vanguard, Nash and Plymouth were on the same dead-end styling.

jack vines
    PackardV8