Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: 1965 Daytona or Cruiser?

  1. #1
    Commander Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    53

    1965 Daytona or Cruiser?

    Having firmly caught the Studebaker bug with my ‘51 Champion, I’m currently chasing two completely different cars: a local 52 Starlight Commander but also a distant 65 2-door Daytona or Cruiser.

    First question I have that hasn’t been answered by this Forum nor the typical Google search: were the 2-door ‘65 models always Daytonas or were there 2-door Cruisers? It’s currently badged as a Daytona.

    Second is with the VIN on the car I’m chasing . As a Canadian vehicle, the first digit is a “C”, but the second is a “1” (letter I), and the limited info out there says this should be a Cruiser, where Daytonas apparently had “5” in the second place.

    Can experienced folks here enlighten me? What is this 2-door Studebaker VIN trying to tell me?

    (iI don’t have the body tag info at hand. Sorry).

  2. #2
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Northern Ca.
    Posts
    294
    There were not 2 door cruisers offered in 1965. Is it a hardtop?

  3. #3
    President Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    1,472
    You cannot determine any body styles by the VIN (or serial number). Look on the plate on the engine side of the firewall for that information. Cruisers were only 4 doors.

  4. #4
    President Member 2R5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Dunnville, Ontario, Canada.
    Posts
    4,943
    Quote Originally Posted by abkco View Post
    There were not 2 door cruisers offered in 1965. Is it a hardtop?
    therecwere no hardtops in ‘65...... it’s mostlikely a Daytona


    Home of the Fried Green Tomato

    "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

    1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

  5. #5
    Commander Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    53
    Many thanks to all - i learned a great deal from this.

    I’m awaiting the body tag info from the seller and will advise further.

  6. #6
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Wappingers Falls, New York, USA.
    Posts
    20,872
    Quote Originally Posted by NCDave51 View Post
    Having firmly caught the Studebaker bug with my ‘51 Champion, I’m currently chasing two completely different cars: a local 52 Starlight Commander but also a distant 65 2-door Daytona or Cruiser.

    First question I have that hasn’t been answered by this Forum nor the typical Google search: were the 2-door ‘65 models always Daytonas or were there 2-door Cruisers? It’s currently badged as a Daytona.

    Second is with the VIN on the car I’m chasing . As a Canadian vehicle, the first digit is a “C”, but the second is a “1” (letter I), and the limited info out there says this should be a Cruiser, where Daytonas apparently had “5” in the second place.

    Can experienced folks here enlighten me? What is this 2-door Studebaker VIN trying to tell me?

    (iI don’t have the body tag info at hand. Sorry).
    No two door Cruisers.
    In 1965 there were two door Commanders and Daytona Sports Sedans (no Cruisers).
    The C indicates Canadian production.
    The 1 or 5 is not related to the model, but rather is related to the engine - 1 for six cylinder and 5 for V8.
    The VIN is telling you that it is a six cylinder built in Hamilton (Canada).
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

    SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

  7. #7
    Golden Hawk Member StudeRich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ferndale, WA, USA.
    Posts
    28,277
    Being that it is supposed to be a 1965, the only 6 Cyl. available was the GM of Canada (McKinnon Motors) 194 c.i.d.

    If it were a '66, there was an option for either the "194" or the "230" 6 Cyl.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner




  8. #8
    Speedster Member ole 64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Henderson, NC
    Posts
    131
    Dave, PM sent.
    Wayne Elks

    66 Phantom Champ
    65 Cruiser
    64 2-Dr Challenger
    64 Champ
    64 4-Dr Commander Wagon
    40 4-Dr Commander

  9. #9
    Commander Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by NCDave51 View Post
    Many thanks to all - i learned a great deal from this.

    I’m awaiting the body tag info from the seller and will advise further.
    Here is the body tag area for the 2-door '65 I'm interested in. The smaller one clipped (12071) is likely the sequential body number....but what in the Canadian 1965 models would have this "S-F4" main tag. Seems awfully brief after the longer strings like 64V.......

    Any advice would be appreciated. And sorry if the pic displays upsidedown.


  10. #10
    Commander Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    53
    May have just unlocked my own mystery.....

    http://classiccardatabase.com/specs....=1965&model=96

    This is likely a rebadged 1965 Commander 6 two-door Sedan - the VIN starts with C11xxxx and the model is an F4....not a Daytona at all.

  11. #11
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Wappingers Falls, New York, USA.
    Posts
    20,872
    Quote Originally Posted by NCDave51 View Post
    May have just unlocked my own mystery.....

    http://classiccardatabase.com/specs....=1965&model=96

    This is likely a rebadged 1965 Commander 6 two-door Sedan - the VIN starts with C11xxxx and the model is an F4....not a Daytona at all.
    Yes, a 1965 SF4 is a six cylinder Commander two door sedan.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

    SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

  12. #12
    Golden Hawk Member 8E45E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    , , Canada.
    Posts
    15,518
    It also appears to be a very late one, looking at the body number.

    Craig

  13. #13
    President Member Jerry Forrester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Douglasville, Georgia, USA.
    Posts
    3,288
    Quote Originally Posted by NCDave51 View Post
    May have just unlocked my own mystery.....

    http://classiccardatabase.com/specs....=1965&model=96

    This is likely a rebadged 1965 Commander 6 two-door Sedan - the VIN starts with C11xxxx and the model is an F4....not a Daytona at all.
    Since that data base says it has ball joint front suspension, doesnn't that makes all their data suspect.
    Sortta like when someone lies on the witness stand, the judge will tell the jury they can disregard all of his testimony. Or is that just on TV?
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

    See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk


  14. #14
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Wappingers Falls, New York, USA.
    Posts
    20,872
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
    Since that data base says it has ball joint front suspension, doesnn't that makes all their data suspect.
    Sortta like when someone lies on the witness stand, the judge will tell the jury they can disregard all of his testimony. Or is that just on TV?
    That is a major one. It also says that two tone colors were available (perhaps special order fleet models, but it doesn't qualify it that way).
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

    SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •