1965 Daytona or Cruiser?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1965 Daytona or Cruiser?

Having firmly caught the Studebaker bug with my ‘51 Champion, I’m currently chasing two completely different cars: a local 52 Starlight Commander but also a distant 65 2-door Daytona or Cruiser.

First question I have that hasn’t been answered by this Forum nor the typical Google search: were the 2-door ‘65 models always Daytonas or were there 2-door Cruisers? It’s currently badged as a Daytona.

Second is with the VIN on the car I’m chasing . As a Canadian vehicle, the first digit is a “C”, but the second is a “1” (letter I), and the limited info out there says this should be a Cruiser, where Daytonas apparently had “5” in the second place.

Can experienced folks here enlighten me? What is this 2-door Studebaker VIN trying to tell me?

(iI don’t have the body tag info at hand. Sorry).

There were not 2 door cruisers offered in 1965. Is it a hardtop?

Comment

You cannot determine any body styles by the VIN (or serial number). Look on the plate on the engine side of the firewall for that information. Cruisers were only 4 doors.

Comment

Originally posted by abkco View Post
        There were not 2 door cruisers offered in 1965. Is it a hardtop?
        therecwere no hardtops in ‘65...... it’s mostlikely a Daytona
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Many thanks to all - i learned a great deal from this.

I’m awaiting the body tag info from the seller and will advise further.

Comment

Originally posted by NCDave51 View Post
            Having firmly caught the Studebaker bug with my ‘51 Champion, I’m currently chasing two completely different cars: a local 52 Starlight Commander but also a distant 65 2-door Daytona or Cruiser.

First question I have that hasn’t been answered by this Forum nor the typical Google search: were the 2-door ‘65 models always Daytonas or were there 2-door Cruisers? It’s currently badged as a Daytona.

Second is with the VIN on the car I’m chasing . As a Canadian vehicle, the first digit is a “C”, but the second is a “1” (letter I), and the limited info out there says this should be a Cruiser, where Daytonas apparently had “5” in the second place.

Can experienced folks here enlighten me? What is this 2-door Studebaker VIN trying to tell me?

(iI don’t have the body tag info at hand. Sorry).
            No two door Cruisers.
            In 1965 there were two door Commanders and Daytona Sports Sedans (no Cruisers).
            The C indicates Canadian production.
            The 1 or 5 is not related to the model, but rather is related to the engine - 1 for six cylinder and 5 for V8.
            The VIN is telling you that it is a six cylinder built in Hamilton (Canada).
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Being that it is supposed to be a 1965, the only 6 Cyl. available was the GM of Canada (McKinnon Motors) 194 c.i.d.

If it were a '66, there was an option for either the "194" or the "230" 6 Cyl.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Dave, PM sent.
                Wayne Elks

66 Phantom Champ
                65 Cruiser
                64 Champ
                40 4-Dr Commander

Comment

Many thanks to all - i learned a great deal from this.

I’m awaiting the body tag info from the seller and will advise further.
                  Here is the body tag area for the 2-door '65 I'm interested in. The smaller one clipped (12071) is likely the sequential body number....but what in the Canadian 1965 models would have this "S-F4" main tag. Seems awfully brief after the longer strings like 64V.......

Any advice would be appreciated. And sorry if the pic displays upsidedown.

Comment

May have just unlocked my own mystery.....

Classic cars,classic car, old cars,old car,antique cars,collectible cars,vintage cars,historic cars, classic car specs, old car specs, antique car specs, vintage car specs, classic car parts, antique car parts, old car parts, vintage car parts,car museums,antique muscle car, old muscle car, old poney car,old car repair,antique car repair, old car repair center, antique car repair center, classic car restoration, classic vintage car, classic auto, old classic car, old classic cars, car engine specs, car specification, car specifications, car database, engine specs, car specs, car restoration, car parts, car museum

This is likely a rebadged 1965 Commander 6 two-door Sedan - the VIN starts with C11xxxx and the model is an F4....not a Daytona at all.

Comment

Classic cars,classic car, old cars,old car,antique cars,collectible cars,vintage cars,historic cars, classic car specs, old car specs, antique car specs, vintage car specs, classic car parts, antique car parts, old car parts, vintage car parts,car museums,antique muscle car, old muscle car, old poney car,old car repair,antique car repair, old car repair center, antique car repair center, classic car restoration, classic vintage car, classic auto, old classic car, old classic cars, car engine specs, car specification, car specifications, car database, engine specs, car specs, car restoration, car parts, car museum

This is likely a rebadged 1965 Commander 6 two-door Sedan - the VIN starts with C11xxxx and the model is an F4....not a Daytona at all.
                      Yes, a 1965 SF4 is a six cylinder Commander two door sedan.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

It also appears to be a very late one, looking at the body number.

Craig

Comment

Since that data base says it has ball joint front suspension, doesnn't that makes all their data suspect.
                          Sortta like when someone lies on the witness stand, the judge will tell the jury they can disregard all of his testimony. Or is that just on TV?
                          Jerry Forrester
                          Forrester's Chrome
                          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                            Since that data base says it has ball joint front suspension, doesnn't that makes all their data suspect.
                            Sortta like when someone lies on the witness stand, the judge will tell the jury they can disregard all of his testimony. Or is that just on TV?
                            That is a major one. It also says that two tone colors were available (perhaps special order fleet models, but it doesn't qualify it that way).
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                            X