Lark Regal Dash pad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Lark Regal Dash pad

Has anyone tried or repadded their Regal dash? It seems like it's a straightforward sewing job of running lines (7?) of stitching to backing material with a piece of X thickness foam in between. Along with running the silver piping in front.
    Not that that's 'easy', but again, it appears straightforward.
    My Regal wagon had the interior redone, but they just did a Deluxe level dash pad.

Any decent auto interior person can sew up and stuff up a nice dash pad.....You could get lucky on the color, except I think they were black ?

Comment

I have to replace one as well. You can buy them online. Then just glue and stick it on.
      1960 Lark VIII Convertibe
      1964 Daytona *
      1956 Stude PU *
      1951 Stude PU *
      1963 Lark *
      1960 Lark Regal 4 door *
      *= previously owned.

Comment

Originally posted by LeoH View Post
        Has anyone tried or repadded their Regal dash? It seems like it's a straightforward sewing job of running lines (7?) of stitching to backing material with a piece of X thickness foam in between. Along with running the silver piping in front.
        Not that that's 'easy', but again, it appears straightforward.
        My Regal wagon had the interior redone, but they just did a Deluxe level dash pad.
        I'd like to hear from those that have done this on their '59-'60 Lark Regal. Mine is decent original shape but has some weathering, so it'll need replacing "someday".

Comment

My wife and I did the dash pad on our convert. There was nothing left of the original when we got the car and we were making an entire interior. Had purchased marine vinyl for the seats and used some of it on the dash as we wanted it all the same colour. Started be removing the top of the dash and brought it in to the "sewing" room . Also made a wood template of the radio plate that we fastened to the dash from behind using screws into the wood. Had placed the vinyl on top of the dash and this enabled us to perform the first rough cut on the vinyl. The stuff gets more flexible when you remove the excess material. After several attempts we found it best to sew the pleats and THEN add the padding. Completed the final instalation and trim using contact cement. Don't have it too thick on the windshield side as there is not much room to reinstall the trim. Not hard work, but fussy. Requires patience and lots of clamps.
          Good luck
          Bob
          Bob
          Welland Ontario
          60 Lark Convertible
          64 Daytona
          sigpic
          "They were meant to be driven ... so keep on cruizin"

Comment

Bob, can you post some photo's? Thanks
            1960 Lark VIII Convertibe
            1964 Daytona *
            1956 Stude PU *
            1951 Stude PU *
            1963 Lark *
            1960 Lark Regal 4 door *
            *= previously owned.

Comment

Thank you for the inputs. Not knowing much about sewing, it's interesting to learn that the stitching is more of a decorative touch than actually 'tucking' in the padding underneath, as it appears when I look at the pad. That makes the project seem a touch simpler than it seems like it is, looking at things. Was it 7 seams that you made over each side of the dash? Did you measure them, or just went with what was there on the original pad as you had it laid out?

Comment

I have a memory of my folks redoing the Lark interior I learned to drive on and they did the Deluxe level of covering of the dash I remember, more likely because that was what was there originally. The seats they had someone else do, but they did the dash and I replaced the carpet as my 'contribution' to the refurbishing of the previously inoperative vehicle.

Bob, was there anything challenging about the dash top remove?

Comment

I will try to answer your questions in this post and add photos in a second post as I have never done photos on the forum. Wish me luck.
                  First I must correct my initial instruction on sewing the pleats on the dash pad and then stuffing after. That's the method we used on the door panel as we used thicker padding for door panels. The dash we used Dacron Fusible interfacing ironed onto 1/4 inch Dacron polyester batting to give it some body and then was sewed to the marine vinyl which is also mold and mildew resistant. We had nothing left of our original pad so we worked off a photo of a dash in a sales brochure. We left 18 inches in the center and sewed 7 rows on each side 2 inches apart. Suggest you make a 2 inch template for consistency. My wife tells me all material is readily available at any fabric store.

As far as removing the top of the dash it was not that difficult.First you disconnect the battery so you don't short something working under there. If I recall correctly I just removed the trim next to the windshield and the glove box and you could see most of the nuts holding the top of the dash. You have to be flexible enough to get under there and I probably did not have seats in when I did it, which would have made it easier. Once you get 1 nut off you will get the feel for the ones you can't see directly. I thought the location of the nuts was shown in the shop manual, but I looked and can't find it. Now for pictures in the next post.

Bob
                  Bob
                  Welland Ontario
                  60 Lark Convertible
                  64 Daytona
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks Bob, good things to know! I figured the bolts would be something of a challenge underneath, but as long as there's nothing special, that's good. I've only seen photos of the Regal dash, so I would have thought the padding was thicker than 1/4" from just looking at them.
                    Looking at the picture of this example though, my impression was wrong, and the whole dash is equally padded, with the stitching more of a visual accent, as opposed to the mental picture I took away of the dash being 'padded' more on the 2 stitched sections of the dash. That's just because it's what I thought was the case. Incorrectly, it appears. This makes the project seem that much more doable, frankly. https://barnfinds.com/on-a-lark-1960-studebaker-lark

Comment

LeoH, I am unable to post the photos on my own and will have to get someone more technically literate to help. I have them saved as a document on my computer. I could e mail them as an attachment if you would like to provide an address.
                      Bob
                      Bob
                      Welland Ontario
                      60 Lark Convertible
                      64 Daytona
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pinehurstbob View Post
                        LeoH, I am unable to post the photos on my own and will have to get someone more technically literate to help. I have them saved as a document on my computer. I could e mail them as an attachment if you would like to provide an address.
                        Bob
                        Maybe this will help. If you save the photos as photos to a file on your computer, then go to the Picture tab on the reply function here that appears when you select Reply. It's the 3rd image to the right of the globe with a chain on it. Just to the right of the emoticon button. Click on the picture button and it will give you the option of Inserting an Image from your computer or the Web, select your Computer, Select Choose File, and then your computer files list will appear and you can select the picture file from there.
                        Does that help you any?

Comment

Message Sent though.

Comment

Without trying to sound like a completely thick Limey...... By dash pad do you mean the top of the main dash? Mine is ok but has some cracking and it's currently covered by a dash mat. A new item would make my interior much tidier. I've looked on Studebaker International but couldn't find a complete dash top. Any help on where to buy one would be great. Thanks.
                            The funniest thing about this signature is by the time you realise it says nothing important, it's too late to stop reading it.

Comment

Working...
                            X