Thread: how to stop "robo" calls , is there a sure way to stop them??

President Member

how to stop "robo" calls , is there a sure way to stop them??

We and several in my family are consistently bombarded with calls soliciting their services for student loans, life insurance , no one on the line, political calls from (?) somewhere unknown, and just a nuisance all day long.. We've received as much as 7 calls on our three phones a day.. Is there any way to stop this annoyance other than removing all telephones??

I put a voice message on my telephone: "Because of the abuse by robo-callers, we do not answer our telephone. If you are a legitimate caller, please leave your name and telephone number and we will call you back as soon as possible."

Works for us!
    Bill L.
    1962 GT Hawk

Sure fire method. Ditch your phone.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

President Member
    I use an internet phone service called OOMA. They have a blacklist feature where you can enter a phone # and never hear from the number again. My cell phone has an app that blocks number also, but the list is getting so long, I no longer use it and don't answer the phone anymore.
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Silver Hawk Member
    nomorobo is an excellent call blocker for known scammer #'s. You can have it block other calls but you need to tell it to block a number that is fresh to the system. It will then block that call next time it appears. It's free to land lines but charges a monthly fee to cell phones.

I've used truecaller for a number of years on my cell phone (free) but recently it's been trying harder to take over my phones caller functions so I've switched to "should I answer" which is also free but it's to early to judge. Truecaller does a great job however.

What I use on the land line is nomorobo teamed with a set of Panasonic wireless handsets. Nomorobo will take care of known spammer #'s and the handset will kill them once you tell it to block a number. The down side of most call blockers as you can still get political and a few other calls that are allowed. The Panasonic phone has a call blocker feature that blocks any call you ask it to block, including politicians. It don't care. It was quite peaceful on my land line last months when 95% of the calls were political. Hit block number once, no more calls.

Final thoughts, the scammers have gotten quite good at spoofing local numbers so I let an unknown number go to the answering machine. If it either hangs up or starts a crap speel, I just block it with the handset. No more calls from that number.

On my cellphone, the call blocker gives me the option to block a call so I wait to see what a number does and respond like I do at home.

Using Verizon to block calls is useless. After 5 calls they want a monthly fee. They get enough already.

Bob
    Last edited by sweetolbob; 09-12-2018 at 11:21 AM.
    , ,

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pile View Post
    Sure fire method. Ditch your phone.
    Agree 100%. I monitored and we averaged 12 solicitor calls a day and roughly ONE call a week that had some degree of relevance. Plus, unless you are in a “Bundle” where the phone is theoretically free (for the initial contract) the cost is $40-$50 a month otherwise.

On the cell phone I get maybe one or two calls of unknown origin a month and I just don’t answer. My attitude is that it is a privilege to call me, not my obligation to answer. I don’t say that arrogantly, but rather as someone trying to have a peace of mind regarding annoyances.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

President Member
    The answer is no, Federal no call registration is useless. You can merely block the number after the call but the ring is still annoying.

President Member Commander Eddie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tim333 View Post
    The answer is no, Federal no call registration is useless. You can merely block the number after the call but the ring is still annoying.
    I agree. The no call registry is of no value these days. Plus, many of these calls keep changing their number so the system can't keep up. I just don't answer my phone anymore. People I know leave a message. This goes for my cell phone AND land line.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

I have just recently (past three days) begun receiving robo calls on both my land line and my cell phone,... in Chinese! My employer did also. Not that there's anything wrong with Chinese; many people around the world speak it. But I don't! Where the heck did THAT come from out of the blue?

About four years ago I went to a Voice Over Internet Phone with a service called magicJack. I switched to them and kept our landline number. Originally that was sort of like an unlisted number, but robocallers don't know the difference. So, a couple years ago magicJack went to a free phone blocking service. The only problem with that was I had to enter the number to be blocked, but magicJack did completely stop calls from those blocked numbers. However, we get so many now that I was tempted to use a new free magicJack service called automatic call screening. All calls go to magicJack first. The caller is requested to enter one digit (randomly selected with every call) and the call to us would be completed. A robocaller can't deal with having to enter a digit to complete the connection and we never get a peep out of the phone unless a real voice caller completes the call by doing what magicJack requires. I tried it and it did work, but I'm afraid some of our legitimate callers might not understand the process and their call to us would never be completed.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Golden Hawk Member
    Two of you said that you do not answer the phone and let people leave a message for you to call back. If the caller is doing the same thing as you, you will never make contact.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Speedster Member
    There are apps for this . Check app store on your phone.

Quote Originally Posted by rockne10 View Post
    I have just recently (past three days) begun receiving robo calls on both my land line and my cell phone,... in Chinese! My employer did also. Not that there's anything wrong with Chinese; many people around the world speak it. But I don't! Where the heck did THAT come from out of the blue?
    I am not promoting Kim Komando and her program, but over the years I have subscribed to her newsletters without the subscribing to her paid service. However, here's an explanation of the scam you have been targeted with. I have found that such information is worth the email clutter and advertising I often delete. So here's the link...

http://lists-tracking.komando.com/Cl...15108945321772

I often don't answer the phone unless the caller ID indicates it is someone I know. If you have your name blocked from caller ID, I will never call you back unless you leave me a message so that I know it is a legit call.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

Unfortunately blocking the numbers is not effective anymore. The number is different every time. They spoof the number and calling back to it shows it is disconnected or, worse, someone else that has nothing to do with the original caller. I no longer answer numbers I don't have in my contacts list. This is a problem because my number is on our club website and if a Studebaker person calls to ask questions about our chapter, I want to answer. I've taken to calling back each call I ignore on my work phone and I find that it's 95% robo calls will fake numbers that are not in service.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    Two of you said that you do not answer the phone and let people leave a message for you to call back. If the caller is doing the same thing as you, you will never make contact.
    In simple theory, yes. But, realistically the initial caller will know the number (sort of a password) of the returning call and answer as they would be expecting a call back from that number.

I'll add another question here. Who in their right mind buys products from someone who cold calls them??? With Big Box Warehouse stores everywhere and Internet sales/deliveries don't we have convienience enough? Are people THAT niave to know that phone soliciting is the gutter of any sales method and to be avoided at all costs? I mean it annoys me enough when I just walk into a brick and mortar store and I get the robotic, "Can I help you" from five people in five minutes. Then the one in a hundred times I actually need assistance the "associate" can't give an answer..., and can't find anyone else inth store to do so also (wasting 10 minutes of my time on these fruitless inquiries).

I can't help but think that it is any less than one in a hundred that don't just outright hang up on these solicitors. And out of the one who stays on the line are they even buying???
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Commander Member
    Now that I am retired. Since I dislike having to deal with left messages when I arrive home; I don't usually have the answering machine on. If we are going to be out for awhile I have the house phone transferred to the wife's cell phone.
    I have my house phone through Spectrum over the internet. Bundled with TV and internet. They offer a service where you can enter a number to have it blocked and also the option of having those calls that do not show their number and a few other services. All at no additional cost. It has reduced the number of nuisance call I receive.
    Ron

..."(your county name) County Sheriff's Department, Fraud division, Deputy (your name). How may I help you?... It has yet to fail. INSTANT hang up, no recalls.

President Member Commander Eddie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
    ..."(your county name) County Sheriff's Department, Fraud division, Deputy (your name). How may I help you?... It has yet to fail. INSTANT hang up, no recalls.
    I love it. I may try it. But, it won't work with automated calls where there is a computer making the call. Still, sounds fun!
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus