Hurricane Florence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane Florence

To all our friends in Georgia, Carolinas etc. We wish you safety through this yet another catastrophe which now seem to be the new normal. We just got over our second worst wildfire season ever. It just doesn't seem to quit.
    Safely stash those Studebakers and keep yourselves SAFE.
    Good Luck.
    Your Canadian Friends

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
    To all our friends in Georgia, Carolinas etc. We wish you safety through this yet another catastrophe which now seem to be the new normal. We just got over our second worst wildfire season ever. It just doesn't seem to quit.
    Safely stash those Studebakers and keep yourselves SAFE.
    Good Luck.
    Your Canadian Friends
    Thanks for your concern. As you might have read on another post, we are planning our 50th celebration of the Tri-State meet in western North Carolina. I believe I have made all but about five of these gatherings. Traditionally, it has always been one of the most looked forward to, and most enjoyable regional meets of SDC members. Through the years, we have drawn members from Florida, Arkansas, New Mexico, Michigan, Missouri, Pennsylvania, Georgia, Tennessee...you get the point.

As of now, I am still planning to show up. However, I am keeping my eye on forecasts and weighing my options. As far as I recall, the Tri-State was my very first Studebaker meet. I know of no other regional gathering where the volunteers work any harder to make sure everyone has an enjoyable time. I want to do my part to see that they are rewarded for their efforts and support the club with my registration fees and attendance. Due to family health issues, everything here is day to day and long range planning is difficult.

I have thought about calling and offering my room reservations to coastal evacuees, but I have looked over the motel's confirmation rules and it looks like if I don't show up, I'll be charged anyway. However, if things become catastrophic...I'll do what I need to do and battle over consequences later. Fortunately for me, Maggie Valley is close enough to be a "day trip," so except for the ability to hang around after supper for some relaxed casual fellowship, I don't really have to stay overnight. There are others fleeing the coast that should be happy and relieved to have my room. I don't think any motel should be able to charge for canceled reservations unless they could prove the room went vacant. These are exceptional circumstances.

Anyway, I'm still planning to show up. Just hope the worst part might be wet feet with no swimming necessary.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Latest track (Noon Wed 3/12/2018) has the track moving more westward than expected.
      Keep a close eye out.

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks for the update, Jeff. For us car folks, this is a stressful time, but when viewed toward our regional population as a whole, our concerns are small. Coastal residents have not only their homes, but life and limb are at risk. Then, think of the scale of other activities this is messing up. From professional sporting events, long planned, millions of dollars, and hundreds of thousands of people. Even within thirty miles of me, the WORLD EQUESTRIAN GAMES is taking place in a brand new facility. People from all over the world have flown in horses to this event and we are not talking about your average run of the mill trail horse nags.

While our little concerns might be big for us...other's stand to lose more money in this storm than many of us have seen in our lifetime. Curling up into a fetal position and trembling in fear will probably only cause loss of sleep and cramps. We, humans, are very adaptable, and resilient, so I'm going to do my best to stay alert, and adapt.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

My point was not to say the sky is falling. But rather to help people make good decisions ahead of time.
          Speaking of horses, South Carolina waived all the interstate horse transport restrictions (Coggin's tests, etc)..
          More a comment just to have people prepare for a massive influx of people trying to get off the coast.
          And, in this case, the exodus path inland is double confusing as that is the potential storm path.
          Hopefully Florence will fizzle quickly. But if you have ever been in an area that receives evacuee's... Things get crazy.
          I have seen ten thousand plus people living at several of the Florida Turnpike Oasis locations.
          There was no place else to go except for out in the Everglades.
          Asheville is a popular area this time of year. It will get inundated with people. Maggie Valley will get a lot of overflow.
          I do hope it just rains a little and we all can get about our normal election year gyrations...
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Predictions I've seen have it stalling against a front halfway inland and hanging there a while. Be extra cautious; and help your neighbors. Especially look out for your elderly neighbors.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
              Predictions I've seen have it stalling against a front halfway inland and hanging there a while. Be extra cautious; and help your neighbors. Especially look out for your elderly neighbors.
              Thanks for your timely remarks, Brad. Especially your compassion for the elderly!

As it turns out...I have lived here so long...I AM THE ELDERLY NEIGHBOR!
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I just read Talladega motor speedway is opening up part of their campgrounds to people affected by the storm. Including water and showers , Ed

Comment

We hope everybody fares well in the insuing storm! Batten down the hatches, and get the heck out! When the US Navy issues a "Sortie Alert" (all ships get the hell out of dodge ASAP) You know that sucker is going to be a bad one!

Our plans to go to Myrtle Beach the first week of October, MAY not happen! But, since we are going to look at property there, might be a good time to "look"!

Jim
                  "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                  their Memorials!

Comment

Wasn't Florence George Jefferson's feisty maid? Seriously, we have sandbagged the shop and tied the house shutters closed. Cars are high and dry.
                    The stray cat has been fed but won't come inside. He has a secret hideway somewhere. We have Yahtzee and wine to ride the storm out. Only 2 blocks from Cooper River!

Comment

Originally posted by rbruner View Post
                      Wasn't Florence George Jefferson's feisty maid? Seriously, we have sandbagged the shop and tied the house shutters closed. Cars are high and dry.
                      The stray cat has been fed but won't come inside. He has a secret hideway somewhere. We have Yahtzee and wine to ride the storm out. Only 2 blocks from Cooper River!
                      Been thinking about you. Thanks for checking in. In Charleston, I have witnessed folks having to swim out of their cars during a brief thunderstorm, can't imagine what it would be like during a hurricane!

How are you healing from your fall? Hope all goes well during this storm and for all living in the downstream path as it dumps water inland.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Hi, John. I am slowly healing and go to physical therapy 3 times a week. They are teaching me to walk again. Our neighborhood is mostly empty except for the looters who were caught in the act down the block yesterday aft. Just par for the course. It was their own relatives!
                        We are watching the storm closely but prefer to be home for the duration.
                        Thanks, all for your concern and we are praying for the test of the coast too.

Comment

Last time I was on the Outer Banks was the week after Hugo made landfall at Charleston. Stay safe!
                          Brad Johnson,
                          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

We are in the middle of NC (Winston-Salem) and started to feel just a tiny bit of Florence late this afternoon as the skies clouded up and the wind picked up quite a bit.

Nothing like the coast is experiencing, however.
                            Paul
                            Winston-Salem, NC
                            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                            Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Just heard tale of Break- In party around the corner. The intruders helped themselves to the home owner's food and drink after his family evacuated. They left after cleaning out the pantry!

Comment

Working...
                              X