Bill Cathcart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Cathcart

This is a big loss in the Studebaker community. I have just received word that Bill Cathcart died this past March. He was a long time member of the Nutmeg Chapter here in CT. He was well known in the Studebaker world as a quiet, unassuming man and had more knowledge about how to hop up a flat head six than anyone. After his life long friend Pete Fryer died in 2011 he slowly went downhill. If anyone in the CT area is able to help, his wife is asking for help in cleaning out his stash of parts. Contact me for her telephone number. RIP Bill.
    Chip
    '63 Cruiser
    '57 Packard wagon
    '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
    '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

So sad to hear. One year a the York swap meet, he sold me the engine that resides under the hood of my '48 business coupe! Even allowed me to negotiate the price down a few bucks and accepted a personal check. Another of our great talents deposited in our memories. I wonder how much of his work resides in vehicles throughout the world? I didn't know him personally. Time and distance would have made that difficult, but I'm surprised that we are just now hearing about this. I have known very talented members who were very private in their social lives away from their business life. This could very well be the case with Bill, (I don't know). But, as with others who fall into ill health, hopefully, local members reached out and kept in touch. It is understandable that many older members, do not use this forum as the center of their SDC universe.

In my mind, a person who had a great impact on the SDC experience and provided the service that permitted many members to enjoy their vehicles for years to come! Rest in Peace, Bill...and prayers for his family & friends.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I am saddened to read this. I knew Bill for decades, but we sort of drifted apart in recent years (definitely not due to any problem). Bill used to be a big parts vendor at meets in the NE and York and Reedsville. I sold him my NOS and used parts stock (mostly C/K) in 1990-1991. He came with truck, trailer and helper, loaded everything and brought it back to Connecticut.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Sorry to hear of this. RIP, Bill. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Very sorry to hear this. Bill was an immense help to many in the hobby.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I'd known Bill since 1989, my having been a member of SDC Ocean Bay Chapter since then. Bill was a real gentleman and a pleasure to deal with. He gained a well-deserved reputation as an expert on Champion sixes and provided many speed equipment parts for them. He will be missed by the Studebaker community. Rest in peace, Bill.
            Bill L.
            1962 GT Hawk

Comment

When we arrived in CT in 2008 we met Bill during a tour by the club. He was very friendly and helpful. I was aware that he had reduced his activity because of health issues. RIP
              "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Bill was the expert on rebuilding Champion flathead 6 engines, both stock and high performance. Some years ago, Hemmings Classic Car magazine ran an article on Bill and his work, see photo below. He'll be missed by many people.

Attached Files
                Gary Ash
                Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                '48 M5
                '65 Wagonaire Commander
                '63 Wagonaire Standard
                web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Even though Bill was known for his Champion engine work, he split a Commander 6 intake for me. Great Studebaker guy.
                  George Rohrbach

Comment

RIP Bill , Ed & Laura

Comment

Originally posted by garyash View Post
                      Bill was the expert on rebuilding Champion flathead 6 engines, both stock and high performance. Some years ago, Hemmings Classic Car magazine ran an article on Bill and his work, see photo below. He'll be missed by many people.

Great picture Gary!
                      Chip
                      '63 Cruiser
                      '57 Packard wagon
                      '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
                      '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Very sorry to learn of Bill's passing, R,I,P.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Don't usually read these things, as to many friends are finding their way onto the long list of passing Studebaker iconic figures. Bill was the only man that I've ever met that could get 240 horses out of a Champion 6 cylinder. The only man that ever met that could/did out run a chevrolet 350 hands down with a Studebaker 6 cylinder. One of the few gurus that really was a guru. God's speed on that long windy highway you've taken.
                          Bo

Comment

Working...
                          X