Thread: TracFone issues

President Member

TracFone issues

We are from Canada so can only use a cell in USA while we winter, or travel there as in the Tacoma trip. We had a TracFone we have used in the past with reasonable success. This trip however we added airtime via using a hotel's phone & my credit card but still didn't update available service days etc. So we purchased a $20.00 60 minute service plan and followed instructions to add to our phone. All went as it should BUT no time ever was added to OUR phone. I spent a long time on the Tracfone chat line as with no service time I couldn't phone them. The associate was a b*&%h and told me all our time was going to someone else's phone due to serial number screw up. There was no offer to fix just to have me buy more time and see if would go to my phone. Has anyone got any dealings with other pay as you go companies that don't treat you like crap and actually want to fix your problem? We have heard of Verizon but perhaps there has been good luck with other carriers. Our Canadian phone will work in USA but you have pay huge roaming charges. Any suggestions are appreciated.
    Thanks, Bill

Silver Hawk Member
    Straight talk is essentially tracfone through Walmart. We used them until I needed Verizon to have cell service in Florida.

I'm not sure what plans they still have but you can deal with them directly to buy minutes and handle issues at the Walmart stores that sell phones. Never had an issue in dealing through Walmart. They'll even load your minutes if you ask.

BTW, Verizon has been good to deal with the last few years but I don't know if they offer the low cost plans you are using.

Bob
    , ,

Silver Hawk Member
    I have T-Mobile here that has 4 bars for service & am very satisfied. $25 per month per line with unlimited talk & text. I believe that also includes a mobile hot spot that I use for the I-Heart Radio traveling back & forth to California. The only place I have found where there isn't any service is a 2 mile stretch in Chino Valley. Very pleased & satisfied with the service.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Golden Hawk Member
    I have had a series of TracFones over more years than I can remember. Perhaps I am lucky as I have had no problem in adding minutes or days. The cost (phone, minutes & days) is now up to about $75 per year.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    I have had a series of TracFones over more years than I can remember. Perhaps I am lucky as I have had no problem in adding minutes or days. The cost (phone, minutes & days) is now up to about $75 per year.
    I'm with Gary on this. I buy the 60-minute 90-day plan for $21 and change each every three months which gives us each triple minutes including taxes. I consider my TracFone to be just a telephone for the most part and my current available balance is 2674 minutes, 542 mg data and 1803 texts. My wife's balance 2580 minutes, 2.53 gb data and 1365 texts. I have had a couple annoying experiences, but nothing a chat or a call couldn't clear up. First was signing up for their autopay with a five percent discount. That didn't include the triple minutes so I cut that off then tried autopay again a few months later and found that the triple minutes were covered, but they were running the charge about a month and a half early so I cut that off too. My only minor complaint is that the TracFone website could be better.

Our first cell phone was a Cingular, but there was no service at our house so we only used it on the road. I finally determined that it was costing me about $4.65 a minute so it got cancelled and the first TracFone was purchased. There was little to no service on it at home either so it too was only for the road. Then I bought another so each of us would have a phone (both flip phones). When we moved to Martinsburg we were only a couple miles from a tower so we had full bars. Then she wanted a "smart" phone so rather than spend megabucks for something she wouldn't use, I went to K-Mart and bought two smart Alcatel phones for $20 each. Both were too smart for us, but I still have and use the $20 one- suits my needs. Wife didn't like hers- too small a keyboard so I bought her an $80 five-and-a-half inch screen Alcatel at Best Buy and bought the TracFone SIM for $1. It has too many functions (sigh).

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

President Member
    Thanks for all the info guys. I guess our biggest problem is only being parked in America for our winter (3-4 months) and after that just the odd trip. The USA phone will not call Canada and cannot be used in Canada and vice versa for our Canadian cell phone.
    I'll investigate your suggestions, thanks.
    Bill

President Member
    I've been a Tracfone user at least 10 years. I live within range of a US cell tower and use my phone in Canada to call both Canadian and US numbers, I can use an international routing number to call Canadian numbers and they allow me to per-set 10 Canadian numbers.
    I am able to buy time on line and I always choose the annual plan which gives me more airtime, data time and texts than I can use in a life time of a septuagenarian for around $100 a year.

My brother is visiting from Zimbabwe and his phone costs less than most Canadian cell phone plans.

In Canada cell phone service is very expensive with punishing roaming charges...Tracfone has none.
    Bill Foy
    1000 Islands, Ontario
    1953 Starlight Coupe