Portland Art Museum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portland Art Museum

After Tacoma, I made the two hour trip south to Portland to take in the 'Shape of Speed' presentation of cars from 1930-1942. I was unaware of it until someone mentioned it on the AACA Forum just before I departed for Tacoma.

The Bendix Steel Wheel Corporation concept car will be familiar to many as its on loan from the SNM:

A nice Lincoln Zephyr V12

Air-cooled rear-engine V8 Tatra:

Sharknose Graham:

Bugatti:

FCA's 1930's styling efforts:

1938 Mercedes Benz 540K Streamliner

1938 Talbot Lago T-150-C-SS

1939 Steyr Type 55:

It would not be complete without a Cord:

I may post more photos later.

Craig
    Last edited by 8E45E; 09-06-2018, 07:22 PM.

I'm a fan of any car from Auburn Indiana, especially Cords! I like that Graham as well and that Talbot Lago is really sweet!
    As for the Bugatti....too many rivets!
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Bugatti appears to be the recreation by The Guild of Automotive Restorers in Ontario. A great watch. https://autoweek.com/article/car-lif...upe-replicated

Thanks for the post, lovely cars.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
        Bugatti appears to be the recreation by The Guild of Automotive Restorers in Ontario.
        That is correct, as was the body on the 1938 Mercedes Benz 540K Streamliner. The chassis was original, but the body had to be recreated from original factory photos and existing blueprints by Mercedes Benz's in-house restoration shop.

Craig

Comment

Thanks, Craig. I like unusual cars. The Bendix takes me back MANY years when I saw it being driven at normal road speed (not just being moved around).
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
            Thanks, Craig. I like unusual cars. The Bendix takes me back MANY years when I saw it being driven at normal road speed (not just being moved around).
            You're welcome!

Also on display was the 1936 Stout Scarab:

And the Hoffman with a rear-mounted 'X8' engine:

I posted photos of this car before when I first saw it in the Brooks Stevens Museum in Mequon: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...8-1935-Hoffman

Craig

Comment

I like that 38 mercedes 540k. Also the talbot Lago, the Lincoln, and others. The graham seems out of place to me, sorry if anyone owns one here.
              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
              X