Results 1 to 27 of 27

Thread: The meet - photos

  1. #1
    President Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    british columbia
    Posts
    1,173

  2. #2
    President Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    british columbia
    Posts
    1,173

  3. #3
    Silver Hawk Member 52-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Searcy, Arkansas, USA.
    Posts
    7,236
    Thanks for posting. Our plans for the trip fell through.


    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

  4. #4
    Golden Hawk Member jclary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Greer, sc, USA.
    Posts
    10,309
    Grateful for any postings of pics from the International Meet! I fully support moving the meet around the country as it gives folks in different regions an opportunity to share in the experience when expense and distance would otherwise not be practical. In years gone by, everyone would have to wait for the meet issue of Turning Wheels for a glimpse of what went on. Now, with technology and this forum, we can share in a much broader way, since Turning Wheels is limited in what they can include in any published content. Those who take the time to share on the forum do us all a favor and I really appreciate it. It even adds to the anticipation of the Turning Wheels Meet Issue and adds to the depth of what ends up getting published.

    Also, lest I forget, thanks to all who volunteer and work to organize and carry out these meets. Even when things don't work out to everyone's expectations, those who make it happen should be supported and thanked. Sometimes things don't live up to my expectations because I let my anticipation(my overactive imagination) and excitement get the best of me and develop unrealistic expectations. While these things get planned years in advance, there is little club members can do about how motel employees, public works, or local government municipalities will behave to accommodate our interests. After all, fewer & fewer people remain who even associate quaint word Studebaker with a vehicle of any type.

    Thanks to anyone who takes the time to post pictures!
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

  5. #5
    Silver Hawk Member Chris Pile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Wichita - The Air Capital of the World
    Posts
    6,359
    Great pix! Thanks for keeping us in the loop.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

  6. #6
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Wappingers Falls, New York, USA.
    Posts
    21,133
    Thanks to John Clary's usual great post, I do not feel like I can add anything, so I will just say that I agree with John.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

    SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

  7. #7
    President Member Colgate Studebaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Citrus Springs Florida
    Posts
    941
    I also agree with John's post. I really wanted to attend this years meet but it just wasn't to be so any pic's are greatly appreciated. We are looking forward to next years meet in Ohio and with any luck John will also be able to be there. I would like to meet John in person and I'm sure many others feel that way also! Thanks to all that make these events happen and those that share their experience. Bill

  8. #8
    President Member Jerry Forrester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Douglasville, Georgia, USA.
    Posts
    3,344
    Quote Originally Posted by Colgate Studebaker View Post
    I would like to meet John in person and I'm sure many others feel that way also! Bill
    I don't know about that Bill.
    I've met John in person and it wasn't nearly as exciting as I thought it would be. LOL
    John, ya know I luv ya.

    Also Bill, we're looking forward to You and Patti's visit later this month.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

    See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk


  9. #9
    Golden Hawk Member jclary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Greer, sc, USA.
    Posts
    10,309
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
    I don't know about that Bill.
    I've met John in person and it wasn't nearly as exciting as I thought it would be. LOL
    John, ya know I luv ya.
    Yeah...well...(as I'm sitting here in my recliner 'bout to go stir crazy dealing with a rare summer cold) I must admit I am flattered that you remembered and would confess to having met me.

    I will return the, ugh...compliment(?)... by saying that I did not find meeting you an unpleasant experience.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

  10. #10
    President Member Jerry Forrester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Douglasville, Georgia, USA.
    Posts
    3,344
    Quote Originally Posted by jclary View Post
    Yeah...well...(as I'm sitting here in my recliner 'bout to go stir crazy dealing with a rare summer cold) I must admit I am flattered that you remembered and would confess to having met me.

    I will return the, ugh...compliment(?)... by saying that I did not find meeting you an unpleasant experience.
    Thanks, I think.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

    See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk


  11. #11
    President Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,825
    I do not see Mark Halsbands '64 R2 Avanti in the pictures?
    He is reputed to have the finest restored R2 Avanti in existence.......perhaps the drive from Rumson New Jersey to the meet proved to be too daunting to undertake??

  12. #12
    President Member StudeNewby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Knightdale, NC
    Posts
    965
    Despite Jerry's less-than-enthusiastic recollection of meeting Mr. Clary, I can say that meeting John at Maggie Valley was one of the highlights of Tri-State for me a couple of years ago, although I do not think John will remember our chat next to his truck(s). John, I hope to see you again this year and hope you are fully recovered by then as well. With any luck, I will be able to come back through Maggie Valley as I'm returning from Minnesota with my new-to-me 58 Champion.

    And yes, Jerry, I know you were kidding...I think...
    Mike Davis
    Regional Manager, North Carolina
    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

  13. #13
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Hamburg/Germany
    Posts
    122
    I only have take a few Photos with my mobile phone.
    When I'm back home, I will upload some more Photos from my camera
    20180830_002204.jpg
    20180830_002146.jpg
    20180830_004651.jpg
    20180830_004805.jpg

    Martin

  14. #14
    President Member StudeNewby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Knightdale, NC
    Posts
    965
    Martin, what's going on under the hood of that 2R? Is that a nuclear reactor or a flux capacitor???
    Mike Davis
    Regional Manager, North Carolina
    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

  15. #15
    Golden Hawk Member jclary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Greer, sc, USA.
    Posts
    10,309
    Quote Originally Posted by StudeNewby View Post
    Martin, what's going on under the hood of that 2R? Is that a nuclear reactor or a flux capacitor???
    To me, it looks like a totally electric power setup. I want to know more!
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

  16. #16
    Silver Hawk Member StudeDave57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NorthWest Washington State (Lynden, WA)
    Posts
    7,326
    Quote Originally Posted by StudeNewby View Post
    Martin, what's going on under the hood of that 2R? Is that a nuclear reactor or a flux capacitor???
    That truck was the 'hit' of The Pacific Can-Am Zone meet a few years ago.

    It's electric!!!
    As seen Saturday afternoon~


    DSCN9377.jpg
    StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

    3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

    past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

    past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

  17. #17
    President Member TWChamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    4,800
    Wouldn't the box space be used up just carrying all the batteries?

  18. #18
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Hamburg/Germany
    Posts
    122
    I have more of this Electric driven 2R5 on my camera.
    Here 2 more pic from the "Battery-Compartment"

    20180830_005021.jpg20180830_005012.jpg

  19. #19
    Golden Hawk Member StudeRich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ferndale, WA, USA.
    Posts
    28,495
    Thanks David (altair) for posting the nice pictures of our Studebakers Northwest LOGO and our Huge outdoor swapmeet space, the one with the Cargo Van and Tent.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner




  20. #20
    Golden Hawk Member jclary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Greer, sc, USA.
    Posts
    10,309
    Quote Originally Posted by TWChamp View Post
    Wouldn't the box space be used up just carrying all the batteries?
    After seeing the pics of the truck bed, looks like a little less than a third of the space is used for the batteries. Of course, who's really concerned about this trucks "bed capacity," at this point? I would say that the experiment, customizing, and for nothing more than the "cool factor"...practical truck use is secondary.

    My questions are more toward performance, like speed, acceleration, and range? Also, with all the batteries in the bed, what is the purpose of that lone marine battery box under the hood? With the weight of those batteries, how much of the truck's officially rated load capacity remains? What kind of drivetrain is involved? Is it direct drive, or is there a transmission? In addition to the batteries, are there plans to add solar panels to the remaining bed space to extend the range?

    It is very appropriate that a Studebaker is constructed and modified in this way since the company has a history (1902) of electric powered vehicles.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

  21. #21
    Silver Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Spokane, WA, USA.
    Posts
    8,144
    It is a really well-done project. The wiring and engineering appear professional. IIRC, it uses a direct drive forklift motor and has an estimated 60-mile range around town. Highway speeds drain the battery bank quickly.



    BTW, both of Gary's trucks are for sale; so those who think the electric is so cool, now's your chance to own it.



    jack vines
    PackardV8

  22. #22
    Golden Hawk Member BobPalma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Posts
    22,628
    Quote Originally Posted by jclary View Post
    After seeing the pics of the truck bed, looks like a little less than a third of the space is used for the batteries. Of course, who's really concerned about this trucks "bed capacity," at this point? I would say that the experiment, customizing, and for nothing more than the "cool factor"...practical truck use is secondary.

    My questions are more toward performance, like speed, acceleration, and range? Also, with all the batteries in the bed, what is the purpose of that lone marine battery box under the hood? With the weight of those batteries, how much of the truck's officially rated load capacity remains? What kind of drivetrain is involved? Is it direct drive, or is there a transmission? In addition to the batteries, are there plans to add solar panels to the remaining bed space to extend the range?

    It is very appropriate that a Studebaker is constructed and modified in this way since the company has a history (1902) of electric powered vehicles.
    Yes, John; there is a conventional three-speed, column-shifted transmission behind the forklift motor. Note the shift rods and linkages visible in the one photo. I'm not sure how you "shift" it, though; there doesn't appear to be a clutch as we know it.

    Sadly, I was not around the truck at the appropriate time to talk to the owner/builder. It certainly was an interesting, well-done project. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

    Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

    G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

  23. #23
    President Member (S)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ferndale, Washington
    Posts
    1,885
    More modern batteries like from a Prius would extend the range, and INCREASE the load capacity being a bit lighter. This truck was done a bit prior to them being available. Solar panels would be nice, but are only good enough to 'float charge' a small battery and not practical on an electric car. A stand alone battery is needed on most electric cars, all of these questions are basic 'google them' type of questions if you are interested in how electric cars work...

  24. #24
    Silver Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Spokane, WA, USA.
    Posts
    8,144
    Quote Originally Posted by (S) View Post
    More modern batteries like from a Prius would extend the range, and INCREASE the load capacity being a bit lighter. This truck was done a bit prior to them being available. Solar panels would be nice, but are only good enough to 'float charge' a small battery and not practical on an electric car. A stand alone battery is needed on most electric cars, all of these questions are basic 'google them' type of questions if you are interested in how electric cars work...
    Extend the range? A Prius only has 25 miles of battery range. OTOH the battery pack from a Bolt or Tesla would give 250 miles of range in an E5.

    jack vines
    PackardV8

  25. #25
    President Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    british columbia
    Posts
    1,173
    s-l1600.jpgIt appears the post office used the cargo vans

  26. #26
    President Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    british columbia
    Posts
    1,173
    I thought it was a postal van my error.

  27. #27
    President Member (S)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ferndale, Washington
    Posts
    1,885
    Yes, like I said. Google it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •