61 T cab engine mount question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: 61 T cab engine mount question

Would the frame on a 61 Champ pickup have the V8 engine mount location even if they were built for a 6 cylinder engine?
    Jim Kaufman
    Kearney NE

1952 2R10
    1953 Champion (sold it and still kicking myself)
    1962 GT Hawk
    1963 R3984 Avanti R1

I think You'll find two sets of holes in the brackets that ere welded to the Frame. one for 6s and one for 8s.
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Most Stude frames and even X members had the holes drilled for all of the combinations. You will need V8 Truck engine mount brackets, or the whole engine assy from a truck. A car was way different, but the truck brackets will fit a 'car block' . A truck bell housing and its brackets complete the swap, and a car bell housing is just no fun .

Comment

I have the engine from a 61 Tcab and its going into a 52 2R10. I have all the mounts from the 61 engine so I'm good there, but the issue is the bracket that is welded to the Tcab frame that the engine mounts on. The C cab does not have these and I need to fabricate them. I have a T cab, with a factory 6 cyl, some what close to look at but before I travel there I wondered if anyone knew about the mounts on the frame. Would a 6 cylinder truck have the brakets welded to the frame to support a V8 even though it was factory fitted with the 6? I want to make a template of these mounts. Or better yet does anyone have a template of these mounts already drawn up?
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	1721817Click image for larger version

Name:	Mount.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	1721818
        Last edited by Never Enough Studebakers; 08-17-2018, 07:13 AM.
        Jim Kaufman
        Kearney NE

1952 2R10
        1962 GT Hawk
        1963 R3984 Avanti R1

Comment

The long slotted holes are for the 6, will take either the big or small 6. and the Holes 20 1/2" apart are for a V8. I have never had a Stude truck older than a 60, so I can not tell you how or when they changed.

Comment

Only if you want the engine to sit too tall. (those brackets compensate for the T cab Mod) Notice the T cab uses a car engine mount (biscut)

The C cab uses smaller doughnuts and has a cast iron 'leg' . The cast iron leg takes the place of that bracket you see on the T cab frame.... Use the C cab engine mount brackets.

Comment

To answer your question about those six cylinder frame Brackets fitting V8's also, you have to remember that there were NO V8's in 1/2 and 3/4 Tons until 1955, in 1954 for Heavy Trucks only. So an R Series would not have any provisions for a V8.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                To answer your question about those six cylinder frame Brackets fitting V8's also, you have to remember that there were NO V8's in 1/2 and 3/4 Tons until 1955, in 1954 for Heavy Trucks only. So an R Series would not have any provisions for a V8.
                This I realize, that is why I mention the need to fabricate mounts to the frame as seen in my photos. The original question was, will a 61 T cab have the V8 mounts, as seen in the photos, on the frame even though it was factory equipped with a 6 cylinder.
                Jim Kaufman
                Kearney NE

1952 2R10
                1962 GT Hawk
                1963 R3984 Avanti R1

Comment

Originally posted by Never Enough Studebakers View Post
                  The original question was, will a 61 T cab have the V8 mounts, as seen in the photos, on the frame even though it was factory equipped with a 6 cylinder.
                  Jim, the answer to your original question is YES. Looking at the parts book, the frame assembly part number is the same for a 6E5, 7, 10, & 12. Also, the right and left side 'Brace with engine support' are the same for a 6E5, 7, 10, & 12.

I'm still a little unsure what you plan on doing.......are you going to use the 6E frame brackets as a pattern to make brackets for the earlier chassis? As Mike noted in post #6, this may not work because of the engine mounting height differences between the C-Cab and the T-Cab (ie, Champ).
                  Paul
                  Winston-Salem, NC
                  Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                  Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Mounts are easy to build. You have to give us pics. of what you want to do to keep us from guessing.

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
                      Jim, the answer to your original question is YES. Looking at the parts book, the frame assembly part number is the same for a 6E5, 7, 10, & 12. Also, the right and left side 'Brace with engine support' are the same for a 6E5, 7, 10, & 12.

I'm still a little unsure what you plan on doing.......are you going to use the 6E frame brackets as a pattern to make brackets for the earlier chassis? As Mike noted in post #6, this may not work because of the engine mounting height differences between the C-Cab and the T-Cab (ie, Champ).
                      Well I found a 7E pickup and the answer to my question in post #1,#4 & #8 is Yes. The '61 Champ has a bracket to accommodate both a 6 and 8 cylinder engine. The frame on the T cab has the same dimensions as my C cab.

I want to drop a 259 into the '52 C-cab.

I'm not sure as to what height issues you speak of at this time?

I have to create a frame mount as there is nothing to support the front engine mounts.
                      Jim Kaufman
                      Kearney NE

1952 2R10
                      1962 GT Hawk
                      1963 R3984 Avanti R1

Comment

Originally posted by Never Enough Studebakers View Post
                        I'm not sure as to what height issues you speak of at this time?
                        See post #6.
                        Paul
                        Winston-Salem, NC
                        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
                          See post #6.
                          not sure how the 6 cyl engine mount will bolt to a V8? as stated in post #6
                          Jim Kaufman
                          Kearney NE

1952 2R10
                          1962 GT Hawk
                          1963 R3984 Avanti R1

Comment

Jim, 61 is a good year, steering wise. I would have to see some pictures of the frame. The way you are explaining it, it is hard to get my head around.

Comment

Working...
                            X