160mph speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mch View Post
    you are correct Xcalibur, I just want a speedo and not an "authority" to speak for me or others. I suppose my request with the aforementioned information was just too amateurish for such an authority
    BTW I was informed of a 62 Super Hawk being parted out as this car was the victim of a Ohio flood event years ago. The appearance of the speedo and other gauges were just damaged beyond my needs. This forum does provide great assistance from many of not most.
    thanks
    Mark
    No such thing as a "62 Super Hawk".
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

LOL......the only "problem" here is your foolish insecurity, not one person on this board is speaking for you, I suggest you return to school and delve into the definition of "opinion"...at this juncture it's time for a trip to Birravina for a shot of Grappa.
      Originally posted by mch View Post
      you are correct Xcalibur, I just want a speedo and not an "authority" to speak for me or others. I suppose my request with the aforementioned information was just too amateurish for such an authority
      BTW I was informed of a 62 Super Hawk being parted out as this car was the victim of a Ohio flood event years ago. The appearance of the speedo and other gauges were just damaged beyond my needs. This forum does provide great assistance from many of not most.
      thanks
      Mark

Comment

I think a "shot of Grappa" might do us all good. The 60% version.
        Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

My treat..........Bio Nardino.......may I pour?? :-)...additionally I'll "spring" for two Cohiba Behike 56's...it will be a very mellow enjoyable day for the two of us.:-)
          Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
          I think a "shot of Grappa" might do us all good. The 60% version.
          Last edited by Hawklover; 08-18-2018, 09:02 AM.

Comment

mch, purchase a 160 mph faceplate for the 120 mph unit and have it installed and the unit re-calibrated to 160mph. SI or Jon Myer have the faceplates. Bezhawk on this forum may be able to help with the conversion.

Comment

Yes indeed no super hawks in 1962
              Originally posted by studegary View Post
              No such thing as a "62 Super Hawk".

Comment

Originally posted by jnormanh View Post
                That surely sounds like a baloney story to me. Of all the cars I've insured, some high performance, some grocery getters, I've never had an insurance company ever look at any one of them.

To the extent an insurer would care, the VIN tells the whole story anyway.

The one car I have insured as a "classic car" with J.C. Taylor, they did ask for a single side profile photo. They didn't ask, and I didn't offer that it has twice the HP it left the factory with.
                I will not disagree that it may be baloney, but it was a common belief about 30-40 years ago. Back around that time, I bought a slightly used Z-28 and insured it as my daily driver. The agent on the phone asked whether it had 4-wheel disc brakes. I said no, but couldn't figure out why they would care. I later heard that that particular run of Camaros only used 4-wheel disc brakes on the 1LE option built for racing. I doubt that -- although it is true that the 4-wheel disc option was only available with the 350 (instead of the 305), a 4.11 rear, bigger sway bars, etc. So that may have been what they were confirming. The 350 by itself (available separately) was indicated in the VIN, but not the other stuff.
                Last edited by Skip Lackie; 08-20-2018, 12:59 PM.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

I cant bother with the authority speaker. If indeed the daughter who sold me her parents car, what difference does it make if she is accurate, or in error. I just shared a story. Obviously this is an emotional event.
                  Moving forward, the gentleman in Ohio shared his story too, to me in a PM. His pictures did show a full set of gauges that had significant water damage. Speaking with another vendor, he shared his ability to silk screen a new gauge and then service the speedo to correct the 120 to a 160mph. Currently, Ill wait to see what my trusty supplier Dave Thibeault can come up with.
                  So, a story shared is a story shared. I am just looking for a true 160 speedo for a 64 Super Hawk as was so clearly written days ago by Xcaliber.

Comment

BTW WCP I have called around and no one as yet has one. If I can get a really clear photo of one, the suggestion of a silkscreen face and re calibration will be the answer. For all of you who have taken the time thanks,

Comment

Yea, and my Sicilian girlfriend wants a new mink:-(
                      Originally posted by Xcalibur View Post
                      Ah, come on, guys; the fellow just wants a speedo.

Comment

Moving forward, I am still looking for a 160speedo for my 64 Superhawk. If anyone has a photo of one, I can get a copy made for sils screening and then have the 120speedo adjusted.
                        So, a very very clear photo of a 160speedo for a Superhawk is still my needs.
                        thank you for those who responded without judgement.
                        Mark

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawk 160 speedo.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	1723509Click image for larger version

ID:	1723509
                          Mark, here you go. Not sure why 16x!? You'll have to photoshop the glare/reflections: this is the best I can get.
                          You know the redline Tach is also different. The original owner didn't switch that, I guess?
                          Dan

Comment

I have no particular knowledge to contribute to your quest except to suggest that you make an attempt to contact Stewart Warner's current corporate division to see if they might have some kind of customer "legacy" service that could provide a service to assist you in either providing a face or at least a print guide for restoring old gauges. Absolutely nothing to lose by making the inquiry. A company with a history back to 1905 might just have good records and be proud to share it.
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Is the speedometer the same as 1963?
                              I stripped out a 1963 Superhawk and still have the complete dash and R2 engine.
                              Red line tach and 160 speedometer.
                              Stop by on your Tacoma return trip.
                              I am close to the intersection of Interstate 80 and Interstate 55 in Illinois.
                              I also have a similar setup for a Lark. 160 and redline tach.

Comment

John, have you had good history with Stewart Warner in similar requests?
                                Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X