Thread: HEI distrubitor , electronic ignition

HEI distrubitor , electronic ignition

I have installed a HEI distributor in almost everything, my 46 cadi, 78 Jeep etc. I would like to install one in my father in-laws 64 commander. Does anyone make a HEI for a Studebaker? I cant seem to find one and electronic ignition Thanks Russell

Champion Member
    I have a 64 Hawk, would my tach still work on the ebay distributer? Thanks

President Member
    Here's a data point / (64GT Hawk) I had a Pertronix installed , tach worked... / The Pertronix failed, and I installed a Mallory ( Thibeault unit). Then, the tach would only read accurately to 1500 RPM and dance around there, but nothing higher. The Mallory coil requirement wasn't addressed in the install paper, since it (ASS)umed you would use your Studebaker application. However, I wanted a baseline for an entirely new system. The Mallory forums indicated a Mallory 29219 coil and the surge suppressor (Mallory #29371) was the cats ass and didn't use a ballast resistor. This was great until the Optical unit failed after 3 years. The Optical unit was replaced and things were ok again (no tach improvement tho)
    The car engine ran well ( sans tachometer over 1500 rpm) and then another Mallory revelation (3 years later) indicated the 29219 coil was ok to run without a ballast if you were racing and if not, then their part MSD 8214 was needed to improve reliability on the street. So, I installed a MSD 8214 Ballast resistor and the engine still starts and runs fine, but now, the tachometer needle has NO movement at all. ....
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tman1912 View Post
    the ebay distributer? ....
    What Ebay Distributor, the MAXX or CRT?
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

It turns out that the MAXX and CRT are the SAME! Why not buy the lower cost MAXX?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner