1950 2R5 Engine Swap or Overdrive Installation: Recommendations Requested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
    I have a tranny with overdrive that came out of a 1953 Champion.
    Car or truck? IIRC, the cars use the light duty T96 and the trucks got the medium duty T90.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

All good suggestions. One other option that has not been mentioned is to put a Stude V8 in it. As with the Commander 6, a V8-equipped parts truck would make it an easy swap.

I know you didn't miss the suggestion to take it slow and drive the truck as is before you start removing parts -- but left unstated was the fact that all of us here have seen dozens of restorable or hot rod-able Studes reduced to near-junk status by botched modifications. (Take a look at ebay -- they come up all the time.) These are usually caused by folks whose skill levels don't match their grandiose ambitions. If you like doing mods and the challenge of fabricating parts (like SOB and PackardV8 above), then go ahead -- but don't try to do it all at the same time. You'll find plenty of help here for whatever you choose to do.
      Last edited by Skip Lackie; 08-14-2018, 04:05 AM.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
        Car or truck? IIRC, the cars use the light duty T96 and the trucks got the medium duty T90.

jack vines
        It was in a car that got rodded.

Comment

If the OD and 245 go together I'd use that set up; the 245 is a great motor for trucks! My buddy had a 3/4 ton 2R with the 245/OD set up, and he drove that thing all over Seattle, and beyond occasionally.

Comment

Originally posted by BRUCESTUDE View Post
            If the OD and 245 go together I'd use that set up; the 245 is a great motor for trucks! My buddy had a 3/4 ton 2R with the 245/OD set up, and he drove that thing all over Seattle, and beyond occasionally.
            Thank you for the suggestion. Just to confirm I'm understanding the possible configurations correctly, it is possible to use a car 245-cu.in. Commander with matching OD in my truck, but I could not use the car OD with my existing 170-cu.in. Champion motor, correct? I wasn't clear where the mis-match poses a problem?

Comment

Actually with a few small mods, a champion car engine will fit. Myself, I am not sure of the Commander, as it may hit the firewall.

Comment

I'm happy with my stock set up of Commander 6 w/ OD behind. Very seldom need 1st gear or any downshifting. OD w/ 4.55's out back give comfortable 55 mph in the travel lane....

Comment

Originally posted by sampsonka4 View Post
                  Thank you for the suggestion. Just to confirm I'm understanding the possible configurations correctly, it is possible to use a car 245-cu.in. Commander with matching OD in my truck, but I could not use the car OD with my existing 170-cu.in. Champion motor, correct? I wasn't clear where the mis-match poses a problem?
                  Although there were "HD" 245 engines for truck use, the car and truck versions are identical externally, and they are essentially interchangeable for modern driving. Truck transmissions originally came with different gearing, but a car OD trans will fit fine with the right bell housing. You might want to consider the purchase of a 49-56 truck parts book -- it would make clear what engines, transmissions, and bell housings will fit each other.
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                    Although there were "HD" 245 engines for truck use, the car and truck versions are identical externally, and they are essentially interchangeable for modern driving. Truck transmissions originally came with different gearing, but a car OD trans will fit fine with the right bell housing. You might want to consider the purchase of a 49-56 truck parts book -- it would make clear what engines, transmissions, and bell housings will fit each other.
                    Thanks Skip, I just ordered the parts manual for this truck and will have a great reference. I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

Comment

Although it will take some note-taking, the parts manual will show you which assemblies can be interchanged. Basically, a different bell housing is required for each engine-transmission combination. However, the car and truck transmissions share many parts -- but you might need a car parts book to know that. A hint: part numbers unique to trucks start with a 6 or 16. Parts that were first used on cars often start with 5 or 15 -- but they often were used on trucks, too.

FYI: Jerry Kurtz (jerezstude on this forum) rebuilds Stude transmissions and also can modify a truck trans with easier-shifting car gears.
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                      X