Thread: How many bulbs in a 64 Hawk Dash cluster

Speedster Member

How many bulbs in a 64 Hawk Dash cluster

I've been looking in the manuals and can't find how many bulbs to buy before I climb under the dash. If I go LED do I have to install a resistor?

Sometimes that information is in the owners manual - the little booklet in the glove box.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Speedster Member
    Looked there too Roy. They number 57 or 57 R but doesn't tell location or number per gauge.

I'm thinking there are 8. You can get from 10 to 50 of them on ebay for $5 to $10, depends on color and seller. It's a BA9S base, I used blue, 20 were about $4 then. Just plug and play no thing else needed. If you replace the turn park/signal and tail/brake/signal bulbs you will need a different flasher, about $1.50 on ebay.

Speedster Member
    Thanks Rick, I just didn't want to get under there to realize I was short on bulbs. Once is enough

Keep in mind that for the "Correct" look with the "Clear Window Gauges", you do need Transparent RED #57TR & #53TR Bulbs on all '64's except Trucks.

On Hawks, only the Turn indicators, high beam indicator and with Automatic, the Shift Dial Light gets the small #53 Clear bulbs, but Lark Types use the #53TR Red in the Switch lighting boxes and the elongated "Tube" shaped glass Bulbs go in all Radios, Red in '64's.

Modern replacement Bulbs do have crossover Part numbers from the original to current nowadays.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 08-13-2018 at 02:51 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Speedster Member
    Thanks Rich

Quote Originally Posted by StudeRich View Post
    Keep in mind that for the "Correct" look with the "Clear Window Gauges", you do need Transparent RED #57TR & #53TR Bulbs on all '64's except Trucks.

On Hawks, only the Turn indicators, high beam indicator and with Automatic, the Shift Dial Light gets the small #53 Clear bulbs, but Lark Types use the #53TR Red in the Switch lighting boxes and the elongated "Tube" shaped glass Bulbs go in all Radios, Red in '64's.

Modern replacement Bulbs do have crossover Part numbers from the original to current nowadays.
    I'm not sure what a "clear window gauge" is but are you saying the gauges are supposed to glow red? How about '62? Mine were clear when I got it so they just glowed white. I wouldn't want red in any case.

All Stewart Warner made for Studebaker, round cased Hawk Type gauges have small windows in the sides to admit the Light from the light surround boxes, they are Robin Egg Blue to soften the light, on '64's they are Clear to allow the Red light from the Red Bulbs to show. No "Glow" just Red light.

I recently restored a set of Super Hawk GT gauges for a well known club member restoring one. It had the blue tinted side windows. I replaced them with clear when I rebuilt them. It wouldn't make sense that they would be blue with red bulbs. Might have been a running change like everything else Studebaker did.20180718_141924_resized.jpg20180718_142032_resized.jpg
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by bezhawk View Post
    I recently restored a set of Super Hawk GT gauges for a well known club member restoring one. It had the blue tinted side windows./Cut/
    They probably came from a '63, even if they were going in a '64.

No, the gauges were original to the car. Now it being the the first production R2 off the line they may have used the 63 gauges, but I know they were original to the car.
    It is an addiction!