No announcement yet.

1963 Avanti Air Conditioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are not doing a judged restoration, the best thing you can do is ditch the York for a sanden compressor. Lighter, More efficient, and Better looking, and less of a drag on the engine. (less HP to run)
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Brad, I would agree if one were converting to 134A....but if one is sticking with R-12, why bother??...bracket changes, hoses etc....
      Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
      If you are not doing a judged restoration, the best thing you can do is ditch the York for a sanden compressor. Lighter, More efficient, and Better looking, and less of a drag on the engine. (less HP to run)

Comment

Last information had him living at 5342 Harris Circle Dunwoody, Georgia, owns '64 Avanti R-5522
        Originally posted by spokejr View Post
        If anybody has pictures of Ed's upgrade, I'd sure like to see.

Ken
        Last edited by Hawklover; 08-18-2018, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
          The compressor on my car is 25 plus years old, oil is leaking out in great amounts...so ordered a new York from 4-seasons....I am keeping the system R12, but swallowed a bit hard when given the price......a bit over $400.00, let me tell you the brackets as engineered by Studebaker for the Avanti are well just say I can't use the words I would like to....and that belt tension-er....what kind of engineering is that POS???
          Your money, your choice.

But for $400 you could buy a new Sanden/Sanyo which will come with a new clutch, then add all new hoses, belts, R134a refrigerant, new dryer, and you'd have a completely new system under the hood. It would use a bit less HP and will cool at least as well as the York. Total less than $400.

Then sell your supply of R12, and use the money to take your significant other out to dinner.

Comment

All you say are good salient points! But......I do not want to go through the PC BS of selling(on E-Bay) all of the R12 I have, the hassle of shipping etc.Additionally I already installed a re-built receiver/dryer and a new discharge hose. The car is utilized about three months out of the year during the summer,the other nine she sits covered up in the garage. Candidly I just want to keep the car as it was built to a point. As to your point of replacing all the hoses, I just do not want to go through the hassle of taking them out and bringing to a place like Moreland Hose here in New York to make up a complete new set.....each hose will be about $100.00. Then I would have to purchase new brackets....and who knows what else. As I previously said, you make good legitimate points, I'll let the next owner tend to that....which may be soon as I have had the car since 1966:-)
            Originally posted by jnormanh View Post
            Your money, your choice.

But for $400 you could buy a new Sanden/Sanyo which will come with a new clutch, then add all new hoses, belts, R134a refrigerant, new dryer, and you'd have a completely new system under the hood. It would use a bit less HP and will cool at least as well as the York. Total less than $400.

Then sell your supply of R12, and use the money to take your significant other out to dinner.
            Last edited by Hawklover; 08-18-2018, 12:24 PM.

Comment

My new Sanden compressor, condensor, drier and all the hoses came to less than $200. I made the bracket to adapt the Sanden to the york mount but they can be had for about $50. You can get a Sanden compressor for R12 too. I think they're even cheaper too because nobody wants them.
              Last edited by bensherb; 08-19-2018, 02:36 PM.

Comment

A new Studebaker condenser for the Avanti is about $1000.00 alone, I applaud your ability to make brackets etc....just too much forme at this time:-(
                Originally posted by bensherb View Post
                My new Sanden compressor, condenser, drier and all the hoses came to less then $200. I made the bracket to adapt the Sanden to the york mount but they can be had for about $50. You can get a Sanden compressor for R12 too. I think they're even cheaper too because nobody wants them.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
                  A new Studebaker condenser for the Avanti is about $1000.00 alone, I applaud your ability to make brackets etc....just too much forme at this time:-(
                  New condenser? Naw. The condenser doesn't care whether it's on R-134a or R12. I've switched back and forth using the same condenser, evaporator and compressor, changing only the oil.

Comment

Originally posted by jnormanh View Post
                    New condenser? Naw. The condenser doesn't care whether it's on R-134a or R12. I've switched back and forth using the same condenser, evaporator and compressor, changing only the oil.
                    Very true. I changed it because I was changing to a different style fitting and it was just easier. $1000 for a condenser? That's crazy! I guess that's the cost of keeping everything stock. I think the largest generic one that could possibly be made to fit the Hawk was about $60. The one I opted for is larger than the one I replaced but easily fit and was around $40.

Comment

Working...
                    X