Thread: electronic valve acuation

Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Blog Entries
    Very interesting article, thanks for sharing Bez. Being able to shift a motor from 4-stroke to 2-stroke is about the craziest thing I have ever heard of, the advantages could be tremendous. I hope this company succeeds!

1961 Flamingo Studebaker Hawk

" Camcon's IVA (Intelligent Valve Actuation) system is fully electronic, making it the first valve system on the market that has no mechanical attachment to the crankshaft."

The claim that that this is an original idea, or that they are the first to build it is nonsense. Many years ago, maybe early 90s, a guy was driving around the country putting miles on a camless Ford sedan, with computer controlled solenoid operated valves. It never achieved satisfactory reliability because it was just too much load for a solenoid. All the modern systems now have moved to pneumatic valve actuation, and many have been tested for 20 years or more. The one automotive genius who seems to be smarter than all the others is Christian von Koenigsegg :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3cFfM3r510
    Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
    See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

I merely supplied a link. This is not a pissing match. I could not care less who is first or better. It's not up to me to decide for you!!!!
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Sorry you were offended - I was merely trying to point out that what you have been telling us is true. It is you who said we should not believe every internet quote. I thought the forum members would like to know that this technology has been studied, researched and tested for many years by many companies. I am sorry that you do not seem to think so.
    Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
    See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Silver Hawk Member
    I have thought for years when I first heard of electronic valve actuation that it could be such a break through. A computer could control & make available a 4 valve or 2 valve, change duration & really enable a ICE to run at full efficiency all the time. All that weight off the valve train too just adds to the effectiveness and it's potential.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Quote Originally Posted by 48skyliner View Post
    Sorry you were offended - I was merely trying to point out that what you have been telling us is true. It is you who said we should not believe every internet quote. I thought the forum members would like to know that this technology has been studied, researched and tested for many years by many companies. I am sorry that you do not seem to think so.
    There is an addendum published this morning at the end of the article linked in the first post:

"Update (Aug 13, 2018): As some commenters have noted, this system bears some similarities to the FreeValve system from Koenigsegg, as demonstrated in the Qamfree motor from Qoros – but we'd highlight that the FreeValve's electro-hydraulic-pneumatic actuation system uses valve springs instead of a mechanical system to close its valves. Thus, it's vulnerable to high-rpm valve float and doesn't offer quite the desmodromic precision the Camcon system does. However, it's fair to call the difference academic when it comes to roadgoing cars, whose motors rarely rev high enough to make that a problem anyway."

Craig

President Member
    Lots of things that can also be used for engine braking too. As to the variable active cylinders, I'm wondering if leaving a properly timed exhaust valve open somewhat can have two advantages:

1. It was mentioned that the variable active cylinder had issues with, for lack of a better term, "raw oil" and temperature balance. If the exhaust in the manifold was allowed to bleed back into the deactivated cylinder that might help negate those issue.

2. If that exhaust was fed back into the deactivated cylinder on the firing stroke there might be a small gain to push the piston down. And in the world where every little bit helps ... .
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.