Thread: Truck on VA Craigslist

Speedster Member

Truck on VA Craigslist

I found this - not mine, not near me. Not a lot of information, but not an outrageous price. May be worth a look.

https://fredericksburg.craigslist.or...665697859.html

Golden Hawk Member
    It is a nice appearing pickup, but on my small picture of it, it looks like a 1957-1958 (not 1956).
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

President Member
    "So abla esponal" ......??!!
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

President Member
    We speak Spanish. I think.

"Se habla Espanol" would be the proper term.
    Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Speedster Member
    This is a great looking truck and the deal of the century at $5,900............it's too bad the truck needs to be sold for medical treatment,

I'm not sure what kind of operation could be performed on ""stage 4 tinea crusis", especially in the sensitive area that the tinea crusis usually occurs.

Don't discount the possibility of a scam here. Very small picture, almost zero details, and a tug at the heart. Don't go near these folks, especially if you are asked to go to an unfamiliar location, or after dark, and certainly don't go alone or unarmed. I too have sympathy for those caught up in misfortune, but something just "ain't right" here.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike cenit View Post
    I'm not sure what kind of operation could be performed on ""stage 4 tinea crusis", especially in the sensitive area that the tinea crusis usually occurs.
    My first thought when I read the ad also. That's a lot for Gold Bond and anti-fungal cream.

Bob
    , ,

Jock itch, also called tinea cruris, is a common skin infection that is caused by a type of fungus called tinea.

Stage 4 Jock Itch???

Speedster Member
    that's exactly what it is, jock itch, I was trying to be "nice", it's likely a scam, and not a very good one.

Maybe I can trade treatment for the truck? I saw the ad earlier in the week but was not willing to drive 5 hours round trip for a scam.
    Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

President Member
    [QUOTE=daytonadave;1122212]Jock itch, also called tinea cruris, is a common skin infection that is caused by a type of fungus called tinea.

Stage 4 Jock Itch???

I guess if they don't get him treatment, stage 5 is where body parts start coming off. Must be serious to have to sell a truck. I would check the lug nuts on the truck to make sure they don't have stage 4 tinea cruris.

Bob Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Maybe I can trade treatment for the truck?
    Yeah...a good dunk in a tub of turpentine should do the trick!
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

Back in April, I found this car on Ebay. I contacted the seller to verify that he had the car and clear title, he assured me he did. He said he was selling it "for a friend". This was in Tacoma, Washington. I was curious why some of the locals were not crazy about the Commander and suspicious because they weren't, but after communicating with him about it as well as talking on the phone I thought he was a nice young man so I'll put in a bid and see what happens. So, I was going to be gone and my wife put a bid in for me. I was shocked that we won the car for $4250.00 and thought something stinks here, and, where in the heck am I going to put it??!!!

Here comes the OH, BY THE WAY........All of a sudden he has a Portland, Oregon reference for location of the car. I question him about it and he says it's in Tacoma problem #1.

Then he says you need to send me the money now! I say, well, that is probably not going to happen. I'll send you $1000 now and I can be in Tacoma in 3 days to pick it up, but no full payment before I even see the vehicle to verify condition and VIN etc. He, of course, spouted eBay rules about payment. problem #2.

Again I tell him I will send him the grand and be there in 3 days. He says, OK I'll get the title by then......problem #3 I say, I thought you had the title? He says, no the owner has it but I can get by tomorrow. I tell him I am sending him nothing until he has the title.

About three days goes by, and I hear nothing. problem #4.

I finally contact him and NOW the story is, well, the owner is in Hawaii and I well have the title overnighted. problem #5

So this is becoming a little humorus in a way because this is SO ....... messed up and frustrating in another. So a few days later he says he has the title. I tell him I would like a photo copy of both sides. So he sends it.....problem #6

I get the title and look it over and the first thing I see is that the VIN does not match the title. Then the title is not signed properly. I inform him of this and he says, WOW! I didn't even notice that. Yeah, right...problem #7 that is craps in my book. So, tell the guy that there is no way this is going to happen. He's pissed....like I really care about that.

Anyway, I contact eBay a relay this to them and they write back from India saying contact someone else I can't help you. BUT, you can't contact ebay by email anymore only by phone........probably in India!

https://www.ebay.in/itm/1957-Studeba...53.m2748.l2649

1957 Studebaker Commander Eight Studebaker Commander V8 Original Patina Condition

1957 Studebaker Commander V8 Matching # 65k Mile's In Original Patina Condition

Studebaker In Original Condition V8 Automatic Patina

As you walk down the fairway of life you must
    smell the roses, for you only get to play one round.

Ben Hogan

Golden Hawk Member
    56PHawk - Isn't that 1957 listed on eBay India? Why would you even consider it?
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Speedster Member
    I'm not really good at this EBAY stuff and I like auctions even less, but the ad clearly stated the car was in Tacoma, I don't see anything about India, so how did EBAY India get involved? Then the seller's history seemed good.

What's strange to me is the English style the ad used and the fact that the "Patina" was the feature pushed the most, not a common feature selling a used care, classic or not. then there's the price, like the truck above, seems too good to be true.

There seems to be a common thread with these scamer's, one the price, then the style of the ad and the English (the prose) is different, and in the case of the truck, the need for cash for health reasons for a rash. I guess it's back to buyer be ware.

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike cenit View Post
    I'm not really good at this EBAY stuff and I like auctions even less, but the ad clearly stated the car was in Tacoma, I don't see anything about India, so how did EBAY India get involved? Then the seller's history seemed good.

What's strange to me is the English style the ad used and the fact that the "Patina" was the feature pushed the most, not a common feature selling a used care, classic or not. then there's the price, like the truck above, seems too good to be true.

There seems to be a common thread with these scamer's, one the price, then the style of the ad and the English (the prose) is different, and in the case of the truck, the need for cash for health reasons for a rash. I guess it's back to buyer be ware.
    The eBay listing is eBay.in, not eBay.us or even eBay.ca.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Speedster Member
    got it, thanks

I had to do a search for this ad since it had expired. Obviously it was also listed like this on the India site. I didn't really notice that when I posted the link here. But the listing was a US listing when I was doing my bidding. The page I was looking at did not include any currency equivalent and was US $. Had it been from India of course I wouldn't bid or consider it. Just another scam.

Here is the page I was looking at. I found it in a old email. The weird thing is, ebay allowed this guy to put this out there and when he couldn't deliver the goods he was allowed to "remove" my negative feedback with no other action by ebay. That was when I contacted ebay and got the return email say talk to someone else.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273169900971?ul_noapp=true
    As you walk down the fairway of life you must
    smell the roses, for you only get to play one round.

Ben Hogan

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonadave View Post
    Jock itch, also called tinea cruris, is a common skin infection that is caused by a type of fungus called tinea.

Stage 4 Jock Itch???
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinea_cruris