Thread: Looking for a Mint 1950 Commander Hood Ornament

Looking for a Mint 1950 Commander Hood Ornament

I thought there was someone reproducing the clear plastic part (#290407) of the 50 Commander hood ornament a few years ago. I thought it was selling for about $35. Does anyone know if this is right?

I don't see anything listed in the SI catalog, and all day long I only got a busy signal when I tried to call them.

President Member
    The 50 if I remember right and I am 75 so you can be a little suspect. Did not have the Studebaker name on the the top of the plastic badge. The ones sold by SI have Studebaker on top. Same size, but different. Ed was selling them at the different swap meets for $35.

Golden Hawk Member
    No reproductions available anywhere as far as I know. Stephen Allen's has NOS, but it's a little more than $35.

That is nice, but what does the whole thing look like? I don't recall seeing a '50 with anything except the one on Champions with the little clear 'fin', or was that 1951? Thanks..

1950 Champions had the shark fin, except the cheap models with no hood ornament other than the crest.
    1950 Commanders had the rocket, or whatever you'd call it.
    I've wondered if Studebaker had an official name for each of these 2 hood ornaments?

1950 Commander Hood Ornament.jpg

President Member
    In order to reproduce them you have to supply one or two NOS ones to use to make the mold. That is not necessary to do when they are that hard to find. I have a couple NOS ones and I would not personally want to use them for cores.

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by unclemiltie View Post
    In order to reproduce them you have to supply one or two NOS ones to use to make the mold. That is not necessary to do when they are that hard to find. I have a couple NOS ones and I would not personally want to use them for cores.
    Milt, I’m currently trying my hand at casting the plastic bullet nose inserts for ‘51’s. I need to find the right silver paint to coat the inside of the clear as-cast bullet but overall I’d say it’s promising. I’m on my third type of casting resin (learning as I go) and I think it’s a winner.

As far as the 50 Commander hood rocket goes, I could make a mold off of one of our NOS ones without harming it, I just don’t think there’s enough demand to warrant the effort and expense.
    Last edited by mbstude; 08-11-2018 at 07:59 AM.

Like I thought, I have never seen one of those. Thanks.

President Member
    Chuck did the inserts for the 50 Commander fender ornaments some years back. I bought some and they were nice and he sold out fairly quickly I think. I understand about income versus investment on the hood ornaments but I wonder if someone made a mold and did low volumes on them manually pouring them if they could not sell them and made a few. I would not expect one of our vendors to necessarily do this as the $ would have a better return on other more needed parts but maybe an opportunity for someone to get started in a small new business opportunity.

I think it was Hemmings where I saw the ad for the clear plastic 50 Commander inserts.
    It might have been 10 years ago, but I think they were about $35, and I didn't buy any because I thought that was too much money.

I always thought it odd that the '50 Commander ornament had a blunt concave nose. First time I saw it (back when I bought a '50 LC) I thought for certain it was broken. What WERE they thinking?

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TWChamp View Post
    I think it was Hemmings where I saw the ad for the clear plastic 50 Commander inserts.
    It might have been 10 years ago, but I think they were about $35, and I didn't buy any because I thought that was too much money.
    It ain’t a cheap hobby.
    Last edited by mbstude; 08-11-2018 at 03:20 PM.

President Member
    Didn't Roy Valdez make or have these made several years ago?
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    The 50 if I remember right and I am 75 so you can be a little suspect. Did not have the Studebaker name on the the top of the plastic badge. The ones sold by SI have Studebaker on top. Same size, but different. Ed was selling them at the different swap meets for $35.
    You might be thinking of the coat of arms crest/badge, rather than the hood ornament.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Quote Originally Posted by rockne10 View Post
    I always thought it odd that the '50 Commander ornament had a blunt concave nose. First time I saw it (back when I bought a '50 LC) I thought for certain it was broken. What WERE they thinking?
    The concave nose might have to do with how the light plays on it. This would be particularly true if the designers had intended to light it internally.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 08-12-2018 at 04:41 PM.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

President Member

Red face

Roy, You wouldn't call the badge, medallion a hood ornament? I call that speer a pedestrian impaler.

President Member Commander Eddie's Avatar
    I thought SI had these reproduced for about $245.00 each. I almost bought one but found a really nice one on eBay at the last minute for less.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Nothing listed in the SI catalog.

I thought Roy Valdez was reproducing those things. He is a member of the forum.
    Jon Stalnaker
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC