Thread: '50 Champion windshield

Speedster Member

'50 Champion windshield

Can a one-piece '51 Champion windshield be installed in a '50 Champion by removing the center post? That was a common trick with early 50s GM cars, removing the center post from a '52 Chevy and installing a one-piece '52 Oldsmobile windshield. Can a similar thing be done with a Champion, or is the roof shaped differently? Just curious. Thanks.

The window frame is shaped different then the 2 piece windshields along with the roof and cowl area. If you had a section of the roof and cowl from the 51, you might fabricate them into the 50 to to use a 1 piece glass.
    My 50 Champion Starlight Coupes and my 50 convert are one piece. My 50 4 Dr is 2 piece.
    1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

I like the classic old car look of the divided windshield, and it's easily available if one side gets damaged.
    Just the other day I was wondering about the availability of the curved windshield in my 50 Land Cruiser, if something happened to it?

Commander Member

Two piece vs one piece windshield

Quote Originally Posted by dstude View Post
    Can a one-piece '51 Champion windshield be installed in a '50 Champion by removing the center post? That was a common trick with early 50s GM cars, removing the center post from a '52 Chevy and installing a one-piece '52 Oldsmobile windshield. Can a similar thing be done with a Champion, or is the roof shaped differently? Just curious. Thanks.
    Because my 1950 Champion has two piece windshield I was able to get all new glass from a local supplier except for the curved rear window.

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dstude View Post
    It is odd that you mention this now. This evening, I was watching a rerun of the Mecum Harrisburg auction. There was a customized 1951 or 1952 Chevrolet that had the two piece windshield. I wondered why they did not replace it with a one piece as we did in the 1950s to my friend's customized 1951 Chevrolet convertible.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

President Member
    Short answer to original poster: NO

How badly you want it and how much money you have is another answer...
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln