Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help identifying some old tin

Hello all.

I am an archaeologist in Calgary Alberta. I recently did an impact assessment of some land in Saskatchewan. On that land I found the remains of a Studebaker. Not much remains but identifying the vehicle might help us to date the site at which it was found. The site is an old homestead dating from the first part of the 1900's and possibly used into the 1930's.

If you can identify the model and approximate year, that would be great. There is a small badge on the firewall with the number 2853. Does this mean anything? I've noticed similar badges in photographs on the web, but no mention of what they mean. Serial number?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim Light

So, here are some photographs of the car:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020761.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	1758365

Name:	P1020763.jpg
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	1758366

Name:	P1020762.jpg
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	1758367
    Attached Files

From the shape of the cowl, I would say the car was from the 20s, but there are people on here who can tell you a lot more about pre-war Studebakers than me.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

If no one wants the steering or frame, at least save that nice STUDEBAKER tag.

Comment

I agree with Howard (52-fan): It appears to be from the 1920's. The tag is most likely a body number. Studebaker used tags like that right up 'til the end in '66. I'm sure one of our esteemed pre-war experts (calling Mr. Quinn!) will chime in shortly with more precise identification.
        Mike Davis
        1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

That body tag was used all through the 1920's, not sure when it started. The car looks like a 1922-26. The number tag only means the body number..... Need more numbers off of the frame tag. The frame tags were about 4x5 inches down on the outer left frame rail. The 'body by Studebaker ' was only used until 1933 or 34 ish. ? There are more experts than me on these but I thought I'd give up a little, since the post is just sitting.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. I did wonder if the number tag referred to a body style. If so, does anybody know if there is a listing of body styles published anywhere?

My best guess - based on looking at photographs - is that the body looks like a Standard Six, possibly from about 1925 to 1927. I've come across some pictures showing the firewall and the hole pattern seems about the same.

If anyone has more information on this I'd appreciate it.

thanks again,

Jim

Originally posted by (S) View Post
            That body tag was used all through the 1920's, not sure when it started. The car looks like a 1922-26. The number tag only means the body number..... Need more numbers off of the frame tag. The frame tags were about 4x5 inches down on the outer left frame rail. The 'body by Studebaker ' was only used until 1933 or 34 ish. ? There are more experts than me on these but I thought I'd give up a little, since the post is just sitting.

Comment

That tag on the firewall is an in-house tracking number for THAT one body alone. It tells nothing as to body style or equipment - at least, not to anyone outside of the plant. The tag on the outside of the left frame rail would yeild more defining info if it's still intact.
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Looks more like someone picked it over and dumped the remnants on an abandoned farm. Commonly enough done in the U.S, I wouldn't know about Canada. Here in Fawn Lodge, the driveway used to be the county road into Lewiston. Hence we have a LOT of old cars dating from the twenties up to the thirties dumped over the side of the road into the canyon. Most of them have been thoroughly picked over and some even chopped up. The subject car looks a lot like them.
                Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Hi Jim, I have a 1925 Studebaker Standard Six Duplex Hardtop Roadster in Calgary. IF you have more photos it would be helpful. If you want to see mine I an in the NW, near Canada Olympic Park. Pete

Comment

Working...
                  X