• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hudson Lovers Must be Rejoicing!

Nothing further needs to be said.

Craig

Super!
    Another marque that we wish had survived. They made some fine automobiles.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

In 1951 Hudson won 12 races with Herb Thomas winning 5 races. Winning at Darlington SC, Langhorne Pa, Charlotte SC, Occoneechee NC and Jacksonville Fla. Marshall Teague won 4 races in 1951. Other winning drivers for Hudson are Lou Figaro, Dick Rathman and Tim Flock.

John S.

Comment

Ah, yes, Hudson. Once-upon-a-time a very fine brand. The final examples were, regrettably, ugly, nasty, garbage, thanks to George Romney.

Comment

Sad to see all of them leave Northern Indiana. Especially this one.

Comment

Originally posted by 556063 View Post
            Sad to see all of them leave Northern Indiana. Especially this one.
            As I stated here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...hlight=gilmore a dedicated H-E-T building could have been built at the Gilmore Museum, an hour-and-a-half drive north for the collection. Even if it didn't remain it Shipshewana, it would have still more or less honored Hostetler's request that they all remained together in one spot.

Craig

Comment

I attended the opening day celebration of the Hostettler Hudson Museum and visited many times. Seeing cars sold Saturday was a sad day. From what we could see most of the cars were purchased by other than members of the Hudson Club. The prices were fair on some, high on most. I saw several sell off for much less that they were purchased for. The World Wide Auction was very professionally done. Time will tell if we see the fabulous Hudsons again.

Comment

1.27 mil! Astonishing.
                Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

My visit to the museum a few years ago was thoroughly enjoyed. It included the opportunity to chat with Mr. and Mrs. Hostetler who happened to be present. i have a 1905 calendar for the Freeby-Bryant Hardware Store in Shipshewana which was owned by my uncle and grandfather. The store sold harnesses and buggies, but I have never learned if the buggies were Studebaker products. Another uncle had a restaurant there for a while prior to the depression. My mother graduated from SHS. Craig's suggestion was a good one. As a kid I remember a local father and son carpenter team and they both had Hudson pick-ups. I thought Mr. Hostetler's later green Hudson p/u creation was very attractive.
                  "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

The sale was sad for everyone who loves old cars and enjoys something different. There were cars there that most people will never see again. As far as the high prices, it is hard to put a price on a beautiful classic era car that has been restored to perfection, and which is the only one of it's kind in existence.

Much has been said about the city's need to close because of financial losses. To me it was a case of the city's greed, lack of deference to the wishes of Hostettler, and an Amish community with no affinity for the automobile. If the city fathers had wanted they could have easily covered any deficit in operating expenses by selectively selling cars as deemed necessary, but the fact is that they just didn't care, or they didn't want to be bothered.

Comment

Originally posted by Packard53 View Post
                      In 1951 Hudson won 12 races with Herb Thomas winning 5 races. Winning at Darlington SC, Langhorne Pa, Charlotte SC, Occoneechee NC and Jacksonville Fla. Marshall Teague won 4 races in 1951. Other winning drivers for Hudson are Lou Figaro, Dick Rathman and Tim Flock.

John S.
                      Smokey Yunick was his crew chief in that period. Smokey was ahead of his time in the rule stretching department.
                      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
                      X