Mecum- 51 Commander Convertible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mecum- 51 Commander Convertible

Went for $16,000.00. Would have been tough for me to keep my hand down if I were there..
    -Matt

1963 GT Hawk
    1960 Metropolitan Convertible
    1972 AMC Javelin/ AMX
    1956 Cushman Eagle

It was a beautiful example. Love the red with white interior. The commentators had some nice things to say about the car and Studebaker in general, although they seemed confused about who merged with who, Studebaker and Packard.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

That was a steal! Was it a no reserve auction?

Comment

Originally posted by nels View Post
        Boy, that's for sure. Not even close to the worth of a car like that. Should have brought MORE than twice or three times of that price.

Comment

Originally posted by nels View Post
          Yes, it was no reserve. I sure hope the seller did not suffer cardiac arrest when they saw what it sold for.
          Ed Sallia
          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Wonder why such a nice car sold for so little? Must be because the end cap was gone off the plastic shift knob.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
              Wonder why such a nice car sold for so little? Must be because the end cap was gone off the plastic shift knob.
              Maybe there was no battery hold down.
              Ed Sallia
              Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
                Yes, it was no reserve. I sure hope the seller did not suffer cardiac arrest when they saw what it sold for.
                I do not think that it was worth two to three times that in today's market. If the seller thought that he could get that much more, he could have purchased it himself and paid the premium/commission.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Very Nice Convert, but wouldn't you stay up nights worrying about how to Weld up that Wrong Antenna Hole in the Right Fender instead of the Left Cowl?

Bob P. may have his Battery Hold Downs, but I've got my Antenna Mountings!
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The car brought what it was worth , up close within 10 foot the car showed alot of flaws, i talked to the seller and he did not expect it to bring to much more.

Comment

Originally posted by lugamatic View Post
                      The car brought what it was worth , up close within 10 foot the car showed alot of flaws, i talked to the seller and he did not expect it to bring to much more.
                      Thanks, lugamatic. Interesting.. That's what the photos don't tell you.
                      I take it you were at the auction (looks like you didn't have too far to go!). Did you pick up anything for yourself?
                      -Matt

1963 GT Hawk
                      1960 Metropolitan Convertible
                      1972 AMC Javelin/ AMX
                      1956 Cushman Eagle

Comment

I certainly hope the buyer does not think that the "restoration" was done accurately. There are almost too many non authentic things about the car to list.
                        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I have one of these in the same color requiring restoration. According to Hagerty, it should be at least $27,200 for a #3.

Comment

Originally posted by 55s View Post
                            I have one of these in the same color requiring restoration. According to Hagerty, it should be at least $27,200 for a #3.
                            That's nice, but Hagerty, or any other price guide, is not going to give you cash for it. The current market is what determines the price.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

No i did not buy anything , i ran the 51 to 15000.00 then stopped, i ran the 36 street rod to 100,000.00 but quit there. I would love to see studebakers bring what hargety says they are worth, i have about 200 that would be for sale then. Food for thought thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X