My '49 Commander gasser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My '49 Commander gasser

I found this '49 Commander a couple years ago here in my home town.
    Turns out I am only the third owner. It was purchased new right here in Santa Maria, Ca. in 1949.
    I wanted to build an as period correct, unique, early '60's gasser as I could. I didn't really know what I wanted to build yet.
    After looking all over the internet for gasser ideas, this one basically came to me.
    My buddy told me about a car that I really needed to see.
    He wouldn't tell me what it was, only that it might fit the bill for what I wanted to build. When I saw it I knew that it would make a very cool, unique gasser.
    When I brought it home, we (my twin 26 year old sons) proceeded to remove the engine, front sheet metal and front sub frame. We welded in a new box steel frame, straight axle, a narrowed and rebuilt 9" and built the tilt front end We re wired the whole car, installed a built "327"? small block with a Muncie 4 speed.
    It has only been on the road for about the last month, so I am still breaking in the engine and rear gears.
    It is an absolute blast to drive and it sure gets the looks.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	FB95IMG951532375316937.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	1758318Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6457.jpg
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	1758319Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6467.jpg
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	1758320Click image for larger version

Name:	20180721_111702.jpg
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	1758321

Welcome to the SDC Forum.
    I am glad that you built what you wanted and are enjoying it.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Very nice job! Welcome to the forum.

Comment

Nice car. I especially like the fact that it has paint and looks finished. Any pictures of the interior?
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Bravo...awesome job of nailing the period-perfect look! Would look real nice in my garage. cheers, junio
          sigpic
          1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Looks great. I have a 59, four door Lark, that is too rough to restore. My plans were to build a gasser, with minimal interior. Not to race, just a unique car to run around in the summer.
            Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

That does look great! Can someone enlighten me on the philosophy of the stance/drive train arrangement in these early cars?
              Last edited by 62champ; 08-04-2018, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                That does look great! Can someone enlighten me on the philosophie of the stance/drive train arrangement in these early cars?
                These type of cars mimic the '60s drag strip "gassers" that raised the front ends to help weight transfer to the rear tires. As the decade continued, the rear tires (slicks) got better (ie, stickier, more grab on the pavement) and the front ends of the gassers started coming back down to make the cars more stable and improve aerodynamics.
                Paul
                Winston-Salem, NC
                Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Thanks for the compliments.
                  Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                  Nice car. I especially like the fact that it has paint and looks finished. Any pictures of the interior?
                  Here are a few pictures of the interior.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	20180804_164336.jpg
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	1721633Click image for larger version

Name:	20180804_164348.jpg
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	1721634Click image for larger version

Name:	20180804_164419.jpg
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	1721635Click image for larger version

Name:	20180804_164442.jpg
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	1721636Click image for larger version

Name:	20180704_131727.jpg
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	1721637Click image for larger version

Name:	20180704_131735.jpg
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	1721638

Comment

I have (2) SBC powered Gasser's, a '41 Stude Champion Coupe and a '54 Ford Customline Sedan and was wondering who made your fender well headers since they are not the more commonly seen Hooker Competition Series?

Comment

Interior looks good. I especially like the steering wheel. I still have the one I ran on my 64 Plymouth when I was in college. The small diameter makes it harder to steer, but they look cool.
                      "In the heart of Arkansas."
                      Searcy, Arkansas
                      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Tony,
                        Very nice period correct Gasser. It must be a blast to pull into the parking lot of any car show you attend. Thanks for the pics.
                        Cheers, Bill

Comment

Nice! Are you going to eventually make any passes in it at Eagle Field, or Kingdon just for fun?
                          Dean Seavers
                          Sacramento, CA

Comment

For street driving, do the front wheels have brakes?
                            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                              For street driving, do the front wheels have brakes?
                              if you enlarge photo 1 in post #1 you should be able to see disc brake rotors...so I'm assuming the car has front brakes...at least I hope it does. cheers, junior
                              sigpic
                              1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Working...
                              X