An ostrich suit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An ostrich suit?

I do NOT want to trigger a political discussion, but I was dumbfounded by the accusation that Paul Manafort, who is currently on trial for bank fraud, had invested his ill-gotten gains on (among other things) a $15,000 jacket made from an ostrich. How do you make a jacket out of an ostrich? From the feathers? And how do you spend $15K on a single piece of clothing? At one point in my life, I had jobs that required a suit and tie, and don't think I spent $15K on clothes in 50 years of employment.
    Skip Lackie

Maybe for a high society Halloween party? When one travels in such high dollar social circles there seems to be lots of fetishes or the desire to stand out (or fit in). The rest of us would be considered crazy...they would simply be called eccentric.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

The coat would have been made from the ostrich's hide a very high grade leather.

Comment

Would this be an appropriate time to joke about ostriches sticking their heads in the ground?

Comment

Ostrich hide boots, ostrich hide belts; why not ostrich hide suits? Not that any sane person would wear one.
          My wallet is actually made from tanned salmon skin, which is not a bad idea when you think about it. You eat the fish and normally just throw away the skin. And salmon, like ostrich, wears like iron.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Skip, it's also pretty popular with the custom car guys ! https://www.google.com/search?q=ostr...w=1600&bih=805

Comment

I saw a picture of the jacket (not really a suit, based on what I saw) and it was made of ostrich skins.
              Since each ostrich doesn't have all that much skin, and these skin sections have to pieced together by a person, on a custom basis, by hand, this is pretty labor-intensive work. (Plus add whatever value an ostrich has before you kill it, since you can't use live ones the way you would with wool that you shear off, leaving the living sheep).
              Then the sheets of ostrich skin have to be custom cut to the customer's exact size, and sewn.
              I can see how such a garment would be very pricey. Basically, this is the same thing as a mink coat, but where you leave the hair on the minks, you take the feathers off the birds.
              I can therefore see how the dang thing cost that much. I can't comprehend why anybody would want one (or why somebody would want a mink coat for that matter. When I think of all the little electrocuted minks that had to die to make it I know I don't).
              But I can see why it would be that expensive.

Comment

And to think, after ditching my decades-old Honda for a BMW motorcycle...I'm balking at spending $600 bucks for ballistic fabric safety riding gear to save my hide!

That reminds me...several weeks ago, I engaged in a little "profession shaming" of my best buddy. We rode our motorcycles to a restaurant he had bragged about. Told me how great the place was. Then, while looking at the menu, he seemed repulsed by the prices. The conversation went something like this...Mike, "I'll be danged if I'm gonna pay over $15 for a sandwich!"

Me..."Hey Mike, this was your idea! You said you have eaten here before! And besides, you are a successful veterinarian! Some of these folks have probably paid your prices for treating their cats or horses! You can afford to ride a BMW!...so, let's eat!... So we did and had a great time. Sometimes, a little perspective will automatically adjust an attitude.

As for me, dress me in an ostrich suit and I'll still be a hillbilly capable of embarrassing my wife. However, today I drove a Studebaker truck. I was wearing coveralls...seemed appropriate.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

My dad still has his ostrich boots and matching ostrich vest.... both dyed amber. He looks sharp when wearing them. They weren't cheap.

And Skip? The last time I checked, it's not illegal in this country to be rich or buy nice things. So don't be jealous.
                  The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

mon·ey laun·der·ing

[money laundering]

NOUN

• the concealment of the origins of illegally obtained money, typically by means of transfers involving foreign banks or legitimate businesses.
                      "he was convicted of money laundering and tax evasion"
                      I believe this is what the hub bub is all about. And yes, it's still against the law......comrads

Bez Auto Alchemy
                    573-318-8948
                    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

OH, REALLY? Is the trial over? Ever heard of "innocent until proven guilty"? Thought not.
                      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Everything today is not tried in the courts of justice, but by public opinion. This is nothing new; it has been a part of our country since George Washington's second term. Wait for the trial to end and it will still be going on long after the verdict. Let the investigation continue on other matters; there will still people that will hold to one side regardless of the findings of the investigation.

Heard any good theories lately on the Kennedy or Lincoln assassination or the fake moon landing? This will probably end this thread but as long as we allow this country to be divided it will not stand.

Patrick Henry used this phrase in his last public speech given in March 1799 where he said "Let us trust GOD and our better judgement to set us right hereafter. United we stand, divided we fall. Let us not split into faction which must destroy that union upon which our existence hangs" This thought goes further back to Aesop in the 6th Century BC. Two fables: The four Oxen and the Lion, and The Bundle of sticks.

Let us go back to enjoying our family,food,sunsets and working on a Studebaker.

Bob Miles
                        Vietnam Veteran

Comment

I had a pair of ostrich skin Cowboy Boots once, They were TOUGH! I wore them for years as dress boots until they started to show their age then wore them to work. Wore the soles and heels completely out and the ostrich leather was still good.

But to beat that, We have a club member who has a 36 Dictator coupe with Ostrich covered running boards! They look great.
                          Neil Thornton

Comment

But to beat that, We have a club member who has a 36 Dictator coupe with Ostrich covered running boards! They look great.
                            Boy, I'd like to see that.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
                              My dad still has his ostrich boots and matching ostrich vest.... both dyed amber. He looks sharp when wearing them. They weren't cheap.

And Skip? The last time I checked, it's not illegal in this country to be rich or buy nice things. So don't be jealous.
                              Not jealousy -- ignorance. Sears Roebuck and Macy's have been my clothiers for decades. I lead a sheltered life.
                              Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                              X