Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could an Early 1966 Cruiser this have left the factory that way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could an Early 1966 Cruiser this have left the factory that way?

Here is a 1966 Cruiser that was bought new in Charlottesville, VA of all places -- right down the road from me --

Seems that it is now in Ohio --

Seller says it is a very early 1966 model with 1965 side moldings that may have been built that way at the factory --

I really doubt that -- but Studebaker was in parts using-up mode --

A little worn inside and color was changed -- says never rusted -- mileage not bad at 74K -- not a giveaway but priced reasonable to start the auction and I think to sell --

It is a nonstarter for me with automatic and those incorrect side moldings -- but has AC (not working) -- could be a nice driver --
    Bill Jackameit
    1964 Challenger Wagonaire
    1964 Daytona Sedan
    Total of 10 Studebakers owned since 1961
    Bill Jackameit's Studebaker Page online since October 1995
    https://billstudepage.homestead.com/files/studpg.htm

sigpic

Originally posted by bjackameit View Post
    Seller says it is a very early 1966 model with 1965 side moldings that may have been built that way at the factory.
    In one word, no. The 1966 restyle with the lower side mouldings was locked up as early as May/June of 1965, well before this car was built.

Craig

Comment

From the pictures, the car looks great! Even the side molding looks good. Somebody buy this and enjoy it.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Not likely, usually something like that is a body shop repair using the only parts they could find., nice car, trim is easily correctable.

Comment

The engine bay area looks freshly painted as well; do you suppose the internals were removed prior to new paint job?

Comment

Originally posted by chet445 View Post
            The engine bay area looks freshly painted as well; do you suppose the internals were removed prior to new paint job?
            I noticed the complete and thorough color change from Arctic White as per the Production Order.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by mike cenit View Post
              trim is easily correctable.
              You would have to fill all those holes and repaint to remove the trim...............(unless it was put on with something like 3M 2-sided emblem tape).
              Last edited by r1lark; 08-01-2018, 06:33 AM. Reason: added word "emblem"
              Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC
              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
              Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Interesting, because I also have a 1966 two door with 1965 moldings in storage. I have not looked at it closely, so I don't know if it has these changes because of collision damage...

Comment

Can I assume that the seats have been recovered? Or is this a 65 Cruiser bench style/fabric configuration.That fabric is definitely not 66 Cruiser style or fabric. Also, the dash/glove box metal trim is not right either. Should be fake wood surface the entire area - dash looks correct for a 66 Cruiser. Are you sure this is not a 65/66 hybrid??
                  1966 Daytona Sport Sedan - Richelieu Blue

Comment

This car is way past the "Missing 12" 1965 cars that were converted by the factory into 1966 models.
                    My Daytona was the 6th V8 built and the build sheet has the 65 Vin# crossed out and the 66 Vin# hand written in.
                    All my exterior trim is 1966 correct. The only carry over from 65 was the white sun visor clips and pins. 66's were silver.
                    Stu Chapman has mentioned that 12 might not be the correct number, but is close. 20th V8 car would be more like the 40th car produced when you count in the 6 bangers too.
                    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                    1950 Champion Convertible
                    1950 Champion 4Dr
                    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by 55s View Post
                      Interesting, because I also have a 1966 two door with 1965 moldings in storage. I have not looked at it closely, so I don't know if it has these changes because of collision damage...
                      55s - do you have the serial# of that car?

Comment

Has the correct Refreshair tail lights

Comment

But they are chrome - isn't that a production change later on in the model year?

Comment

The chrome tail lights were always an accessory that the dealer or owner could have added at anytime.

I'm at work & can't see the ad. Do they list the vin or body number? Does it have the black switches & knobs (including the window cranks)? I agree that the High mounted trim would be highly unlikely.

I am currently working on using a '65 Cruiser body to restore my '66 Commander. I will have to weld up all those holes also to eliminate the high mounted trim.
                            Mike Sal

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sal View Post
                              The chrome tail lights were always an accessory that the dealer or owner could have added at anytime.

I'm at work & can't see the ad. Do they list the vin or body number? Does it have the black switches & knobs (including the window cranks)? I agree that the High mounted trim would be highly unlikely.

I am currently working on using a '65 Cruiser body to restore my '66 Commander. I will have to weld up all those holes also to eliminate the high mounted trim.
                              Mike Sal
                              C 530020 Black switches yes. Black knobs yes

Comment

Working...
                              X