Wiring In My Electric Fuel Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Wiring In My Electric Fuel Pump

Tomorrow’s the day that I install my Holley Mighty Mite electric fuel pump on my ‘63 Hawk. I’m no electrical or wiring expert, but I’ve studied the wiring diagrams on Bob’s resource page thoroughly. I just wanted to check with those of you I would consider experts to verify that I understand what I’m doing.
    I’m using both an oil pressure switch and inertia switch as well as a Summit Racing fuel pump relay. The relay has a red (term 30), grey (term 85), purple (term 87) and yellow (term 86) wires. I’ve sketched the wiring diagram as I understand it. Is this correct?
    Attached Files

Do you really need both an oil pressure switch and an inertia switch? I don't think you do,but I'm no expert. I would wire the inertia switch with the pump ground wire going though the inertia switch.
    JB

Comment

I think this one would do the trick.
      Best of luck with your new setup.
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the reply Christophe. The oil pressure switch in your schematic is missing a terminal, there are 3. Also, I don’t see any wire going to the ignition switch. Is all this correct?

Comment

What type/brand inertia switch are you going to use?
          Mike Kelly
          Regional Manager
          Texas
          1963 Lark Cruiser
          1962 GT Hawk
          1965 Commander 2dr v8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by Mrkelly View Post
            What type/brand inertia switch are you going to use?
            Mustang.... they used to be pretty cheap on ebay, but today, the pick
            ings are slim
            64 GT Hawk (K7)
            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I’m using one out of a 2001 Ford Explorer.

Comment

Coloradohawk;
                Either diagram will work
                On Christophe's diagram I would relocate the fuse so that all added wires are fused.
                On either diagram I would add a momentary contact switch to power terminal 85 (power to the relays coil) in order to fill the carburetor with fuel prior too trying to start the car.
                On either diagram; change the cars oil and there is a good chance the oil pressure will not be built up before the engine starts. No problem as long as the carburetor is full of fuel.
                On Christopher's diagram the blue wire is from the ignition switch.
                Ron

Comment

Ron, where would you relocate the fuse to protect all the added wires?
                  Would the momentary switch go between the 2 wires coming off the oil pressure switch?

Comment

& all these years I've just had + from ingition to the pump & the other wire from the pump grounded & it has worked... & still does. With a fuse thou...
                    Last edited by Noxnabaker; 08-17-2018, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Here is the schematic with a 3 terminal pressure switch.
                      I hope this helps.
                      Nice weekend to all.
                      sigpic

Comment

coloradohawk;rs
                        Using Christophe latest drawing; you could either supply 12 volts to terminal 86 or if the momentary contact switch is heavy enough; wire it to jump out terminals 30 and 87 on the relay. As far as fusing goes; I would like the wires going to the added wires going to the oil pressure switch and the inertia switch to be fused. An easy way to do it would be to install an in line fuse in the power wire to the ignition switch.
                        Ron

Comment

One last post with questions about wiring this up. Installing a momentary switch jumping the wires going to the I & P terminals of the oil pressure switch, I can then prime the carb. Correct?
                          Also, I don’t have to actually run a wire from the I terminal of the oil pressure switch to the ignition switch, I can go to the I terminal on the starter solenoid. Correct?
                          Finally, the S terminal of the oil pressure switch goes to the S terminal of the starter solenoid. Correct?
                          Thanks for all your help and patience.

Comment

Christophe,
                            Thanks for input helping with wiring my fuel pump. Where would I add the inertia switch in your diagram, and where would a priming switch be wired in?

Comment

Hey Kyle,
                              Here are two diagrams I found on a Corvair Forum.
                              Oddly, pictures did not want to appear, so I had to use the attachment.
                              I hope this helps.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by christophe; 08-17-2018, 05:11 AM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X