What numbers? Where?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What numbers? Where?

If I wanted to find out more about a 1966 Cruiser, I know there's two numbers to look at. I think there's one on the frame when you open the driver door, right? Is there another one under the hood in some place in the engine compartment? What does each one indicate?

Thanks for any help.

The one on the driver's door frame is the vehicle serial number, which should be the legal identity of the car (but isn't always for a variety of reasons). The plate on the cowl under the hood gives the body type (identifying the model and trim level) and the body sequence number.
    Jim K.
    63 Hawk

Comment

You can compare your VIN number to those listed in the 1966 registry & it will give you an estimate on when it was built too. Other than that, ordering a copy of your build sheet from SI is the only way to get more details about your individual car.
      Mike Sal

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sal View Post
        You can compare your VIN number to those listed in the 1966 registry & it will give you an estimate on when it was built too. Other than that, ordering a copy of your build sheet from SI is the only way to get more details about your individual car.
        Mike Sal
        The one on the A-pillar (between the hinges) is a VIN for 1966 models, not a S/N.

The production order can be ordered from the SNM (I don't think that "SI" does this.).

The body number under the hood will not tell you much. You already know that you have a 1966 Cruiser. The other number will only tell when in the order your body was built.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks to all for your help!

Comment

Working...
          X