1951 Commander Radiator coolant question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1951 Commander Radiator coolant question

Now that all seems to be good. I will address the minor issues. I am fine tuning the cooling system. I have a Working NOS 160 thermostat installed, good mix of Coolant and the water within 1 inch of the cap. The manual says it should be to the bottom of the overflow tube. I have a 4lb cap. Granted I tested this in 105degrees outside, but she boils over. Good water pump, can see water moving, temp drops when thermostat opened.
    Questions: where is the best top level for the water to be in the radiator? 160 or 180 thermostat? Is occasional boil over just a normal thing?
    Jim
    Last edited by lelshaddai; 07-22-2018, 10:01 AM.
    51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
    53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
    62 Volvo PV544 Sport

As long as the fluid is above the rad tubes its good. If you put to much in, the excess will puke out the tube. It will find its own coolant level if everything is working correctly.

Comment

My 1950's never boil over, and my 1952 Land Cruiser never had a problem in the heat of El Paso, TX back in the early 70's.
      I always use 50% antifreeze.

Comment

It will take several heating / cooling cycles for the rad to adjust the coolant level. Also it will take a couple of cycles to expel any air in the cooling system. So you may need to top off the coolant a couple of times.

Comment

For the 232 is it better to have the 160 or 180 thermostat? Why? It is close to 50/50 coolant right now. It will be 116 degrees on Wednesday. That should be a good test. Can these radiators take a higher pressure cap?
          62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

The older radiators I have used a lower pressure cap w/o problems. Like the others have said the coolant level should stay the same after it pukes out excess. The 160 stat should be fine; if you drive a lot in the winter a 180 would help it run warmer thus less carbon deposits.

Comment

We do not have winter here
              62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

My shop manual says fill "to just below the top of the filler tube". Huh?
                As already stated in another post, fill to about an inch above the top of the core. Anything more will be expelled. One other thing that might help; remove the thermostat and look down inside at the coolant bypass hole. Early '51s had a 5/16" hole. That should be increased to 7/16".
                Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

When I lived in hotter country, I liked to use the 160 Stat, a 7 Lb. Rad. Cap with the rubber Gasket on the brass ring at the top of the Cap for a coolant recovery system and install one.

They are simple enough to make or buy and there are several advantages:

(1) You can maintain more coolant to help cool the engine better.

(2) there will be no air in the system to deteriorate/oxygenate the coolant, cause rust etc.

(3) There will be no loss of coolant or adding coolant when Temp changes cause different amounts to dump out of the Rad.

(4) You will always know at a glance that the coolant is 100% full and the system is working properly by the level in the clear Overflow Bottle.

If this '51 has an original Radiator it will have a 1 Inch Reach Rad. fill neck, so that requires a special Cap not used for 63 years, so will not be found at your Local Auto Parts Store.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich, thanks,
                    I was thinking of an overflow system. Do you have a size recommendation for the tank? Currently I have a 4lb cap with the 1 inch reach. Will one of the tube type tanks be large enough? I have a 2" x 16" tube tank left over from a different project.
                    62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Don't the Parts Stores still stock the square plastic tank type kits that hold a little over a Quart? I have never needed a huge one. I have no idea what a Tube type is, except a 1 Liter Coke bottle.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                      X