1965 Daytona AMP Meter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 1965 Daytona AMP Meter

I am planning on upgrading the original alternator on my 1965 Daytona V8 to one I can find at the auto parts store, either a GM Delco 3-wire of a Honda Civic style. The question is what is the output of the stock Prestolite alternator and what can the stock gauge in the dash take?

JK

63amp is sufficient if u go w/gm ask for lester#7127 SE (self igniter) this way only wire to hookup is Bat wire on Bat post of Alt, hope this helps!

Comment

3x2 stude;
      The original Prestolite alternator in the 64 Daytona had a 35 amp max output. I don't know what alternator was used on the 65 Chevrolet engine. All the ammeter shows is the amount of current going to and from the battery. If you do not change the connections on the existing ammeter; the only time more then 35 amps will flow through the ammeter is with a weak battery and only if the alternator that can put out more then 35 amps. All the cars electrical accessories (except the starter motor) should be connected to the alternator side of the ammeter; not the battery side.
      I don't know how much more then 35 amps can be drawn through the ammeter before the internal shunt in the meter burns out.
      If you want to avoid any chance of trouble. Take all the wires off of the 2 ammeter terminals and place them on one of the terminals and install a volt meter.
      Ron

Comment

The stock alternator met the needs of the car, so unless some heavy power-using accessories have been added, the new alternator should not be called upon to put out any more than the old one did, in which case the factory ammeter will work fine. In the unlikely event that the ammeter continually pegs out, you could add a shunt, which is just a short piece of thinner-gauge wire than is used in the ammeter circuit, connected from one ammeter post to the other.
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
        X