R-series 1/2 ton long bed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R-series 1/2 ton long bed?

I will admit my knowledge of R-series trucks is not that vast, but I wonder if someone has created something that Studebaker did not make.

I thought all the 1/2 tons made from 1949 to 1953 were all short beds (6.5 ft.) and 3/4 tons were all long beds (8 ft.). This truck for sale is a 1/2 ton (running gear wise) but with an 8 ft. bed. Did someone take 1/2 ton running gear and put it under a 3/4 ton truck? Looks good, and I guess someone could always say it was a factory test mule or something...

If it is the 51 Inch wide P1 from a '56 to '61, that would prove it did not come that way.

Wow really "detailed" Ad, doesn't even say or show if it is a 2R5 or 2R6.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It appears that the bed is the earlier width - tailgate has the three horizontal bars above and below the STUDEBAKER - believe the later, wider bed only had two horizontal bars in the same place.

And it fits the rear of the cab as well - newer and wider bed would not fit the same.
      Last edited by 62champ; 07-16-2018, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Agree with above. I spose it wouldn't be too difficult to add some extensions to the rear of the frame on which to bolt the rear of the bed and the rear bumper.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

This is not unheard of - this 5E Champ is on the forum registry and although it is a E7, it has 3/4 ton running gear.

It would be fun to take the "2R5-22" to a meet and see how many people notice something odd about it...

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
            Agree with above. I spose it wouldn't be too difficult to add some extensions to the rear of the frame on which to bolt the rear of the bed and the rear bumper.
            Skip, there's the ten inches between the wheels to be accommodated. IIRC, the extra bed length is not all at the rear.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
              Skip, there's the ten inches between the wheels to be accommodated. IIRC, the extra bed length is not all at the rear.

jack vines
              Good point. So maybe a frame swap?? Or how about a "super rare engineering prototype"? Asking price 50K.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                Good point. So maybe a frame swap?? Or how about a "super rare engineering prototype"? Asking price 50K.
                Find a factory bed for this truck and you could double your money...

Comment

OR, sell it to someone who actually needs a real work truck! On the Road Maintenance and Repair business?
                  StudeRich
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Finally a box which is a more awkward fit on a Stude than the Dodge box on the Champ.

Yes, it would be interesting to see that 112" 3/4-ton would look with an OEM short box. If it has the 3/4-t spring pack, I'd probably be removing all the bottom half the stack and a couple from the top half.

Also, anyone have a better photo of the front wheels? It's in a dark corner and I can't be sure what's on there.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                      Find a factory bed for this truck and you could double your money...

Where is this one and how much? Steve
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
                        Where is this one and how much? Steve
                        Was on Craigslist a couple years ago. California plates. I think at the time when it's origins was questioned, several people stated it was a Bell Telephone truck from somewhere out west that were special ordered as short wheel base 3/4 tons...

Comment

I bet the Craigslist truck at the beginning of this thread is a 2R10 or 11 with 1/2 ton axles. Not a difficult thing to change.

Yes, it would be interesting to see that 112" 3/4-ton would look with an OEM short box.

jack vines
                          Ted Jensen built one a few years back.

Comment

I went for a short ride in that Truck Matthew, unique for sure and had some get up and go too
                            Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                            I bet the Craigslist truck at the beginning of this thread is a 2R10 or 11 with 1/2 ton axles. Not a difficult thing to change.

Ted Jensen built one a few years back.

Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Finally a box which is a more awkward fit on a Stude than the Dodge box on the Champ.

Yes, it would be interesting to see that 112" 3/4-ton would look with an OEM short box. If it has the 3/4-t spring pack, I'd probably be removing all the bottom half the stack and a couple from the top half.
                              Also, anyone have a better photo of the front wheels? It's in a dark corner and I can't be sure what's on there.
                              jack vines
                              Jack; I am pretty sure the wheels are the Cool cast type used at that time on 3/4 Tons.
                              StudeRich
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X