Thread: '51 Champion body trim

Champion Member

'51 Champion body trim

I'm looking for a good pair of the chrome castings that were sometimes used on the top of the front fenders, above each headlight, on a '51 Champion. They were probably an option since I see more cars without them than with them. I don't know the correct name for the trim pieces, but they're spear-like, tapered towards the rear and something over a foot long.

Can anyone tell me what Studebaker called these pieces, possibly provide a part number and does anyone have a pair for sale? Thanks.

dstude

We've generally been calling them fender spears but Studebaker called them "ornaments". There was also a set available for the rear fenders; even rarer yet.
    For either '51 Champion (10G) or Commander (H):

ORNAMENT, front fender; part# 291678
    001.jpg

A complete kit with both ornaments AND all commensurate hardware would be part# AC-2026
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Champion Member

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rockne10 View Post
    We've generally been calling them fender spears but Studebaker called them "ornaments". There was also a set available for the rear fenders; even rarer yet.
    For either '51 Champion (10G) or Commander (H):

ORNAMENT, front fender; part# 291678
    001.jpg

A complete kit with both ornaments AND all commensurate hardware would be part# AC-2026
    Thanks for the good information. Now I'll just have to wait for a pair to turn up. Though I'm definitely not a fan of the one-of-everything restoration, I think the spears are a nice addition to the aircraft look of the car's front end. Thanks again.

Golden Hawk Member
    I think we have some used front spears, and a handful of NOS rears. http://mystudebaker.com/

Quote Originally Posted by dstude View Post
    Thanks for the good information. Now I'll just have to wait for a pair to turn up. Though I'm definitely not a fan of the one-of-everything restoration, I think the spears are a nice addition to the aircraft look of the car's front end. Thanks again.
    I'm obviously biased but, I would tend to agree. '51.jpg
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"