'51 Champion body trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '51 Champion body trim

I'm looking for a good pair of the chrome castings that were sometimes used on the top of the front fenders, above each headlight, on a '51 Champion. They were probably an option since I see more cars without them than with them. I don't know the correct name for the trim pieces, but they're spear-like, tapered towards the rear and something over a foot long.

Can anyone tell me what Studebaker called these pieces, possibly provide a part number and does anyone have a pair for sale? Thanks.

dstude

We've generally been calling them fender spears but Studebaker called them "ornaments". There was also a set available for the rear fenders; even rarer yet.
    For either '51 Champion (10G) or Commander (H):

ORNAMENT, front fender; part# 291678
    Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	1721388

A complete kit with both ornaments AND all commensurate hardware would be part# AC-2026
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks.

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
      We've generally been calling them fender spears but Studebaker called them "ornaments". There was also a set available for the rear fenders; even rarer yet.
      For either '51 Champion (10G) or Commander (H):

ORNAMENT, front fender; part# 291678
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]73838[/ATTACH]

A complete kit with both ornaments AND all commensurate hardware would be part# AC-2026
      Thanks for the good information. Now I'll just have to wait for a pair to turn up. Though I'm definitely not a fan of the one-of-everything restoration, I think the spears are a nice addition to the aircraft look of the car's front end. Thanks again.

Comment

I think we have some used front spears, and a handful of NOS rears. http://mystudebaker.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dstude View Post
          Thanks for the good information. Now I'll just have to wait for a pair to turn up. Though I'm definitely not a fan of the one-of-everything restoration, I think the spears are a nice addition to the aircraft look of the car's front end. Thanks again.
          I'm obviously biased but, I would tend to agree. Click image for larger version

Name:	'51.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	1721397
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
          X