Thread: My 63 GT

Champion Member

My 63 GT

Hi,

Yesterday finally my GT arrived to my driveway! Overall a fairly decent car, but in bad need of some detailing... Interior needs new carpets and repair to driver seats. Mixed situation regarding rust, the body is very solid, but there is some rust in the floor and the underside of the drain sills. Some rust in the boot around the fuel and body mount (common on these?) some spots here and there on the undercarriage.. But rest seems good as the car was undercoated when new and you can still see factory paint underneath.

First order of business was pulling out the interior to inspect the floors. I will need to order new carpets straight away, any suggestions?

Studebaker1.jpgStudebaker 2.jpgInerior 1.jpgengine bay 1.jpgLooks familiar?Flor rust.jpgFlor rust 2.jpgOver-all the floor is not to badfloor rust.jpgRed oxy 2.jpgYes Pebble beach quality Red Oxide floor paintRust 1.jpgRed Oxy.jpgMy goal is nice car that can be used in the summer

You are off to a great start! Looks like a very nice car to start with - will be a lot of fun on some B-roads when the weather is nice.

Rust that your took photos of does not look unusual at all - in fact that front floor looks very good. If it might make you feel a little better, here is how bad it can get...old friends '64 GT looking forward from the left rear wheel opening - rear fender had been removed.

As for carpeting, I was quite satisfied with Automotive Interiors for $295 (+ shipping) for my 1962 GT. They have a separate web page just for Studebakers. http://www.automotiveinteriors.com/s...wk-s/17765.htm

IMG_1891.jpg

Bill L.
    1962 GT Hawk

Champion Member
    Ouch! I will leave my fender on for the time being:P

Champion Member
    Ouch I will leave my fender on for now

Quote Originally Posted by 62champ View Post
    You are off to a great start! Looks like a very nice car to start with - will be a lot of fun on some B-roads when the weather is nice.

Rust that your took photos of does not look unusual at all - in fact that front floor looks very good. If it might make you feel a little better, here is how bad it can get...old friends '64 GT looking forward from the left rear wheel opening - rear fender had been removed.

Champion Member
    Ohhh black car red interior! Thanks will order!

Quote Originally Posted by 56GH View Post
    As for carpeting, I was quite satisfied with Automotive Interiors for $295 (+ shipping) for my 1962 GT. They have a separate web page just for Studebakers. www.automotiveinteriors.com/studebaker-replacement-carpet-kit-hawk-s/17765.htm

IMG_1891.jpg

Champion Member

Update

Well it's amazing what 2 stage rubbing compound followed with polish can do to a dead paint job! The interior has turned out very nice after a serious clean. No cleaning agent would touch the dirt I tried some strong stuff.. So the solution was Methylated spirit... Followed by treating it with a protective formula. The last photo was from when I was cleaning the seats. So I had to align both cars for photo shoot
    Attached Images Attached Images