Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 63 GT

Hi,

Yesterday finally my GT arrived to my driveway! Overall a fairly decent car, but in bad need of some detailing... Interior needs new carpets and repair to driver seats. Mixed situation regarding rust, the body is very solid, but there is some rust in the floor and the underside of the drain sills. Some rust in the boot around the fuel and body mount (common on these?) some spots here and there on the undercarriage.. But rest seems good as the car was undercoated when new and you can still see factory paint underneath.

First order of business was pulling out the interior to inspect the floors. I will need to order new carpets straight away, any suggestions?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Studebaker1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	1758196Click image for larger version

Name:	Studebaker 2.jpg
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	1758197Click image for larger version

Name:	Inerior 1.jpg
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	1758198Click image for larger version

Name:	engine bay 1.jpg
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	1758199Looks familiar?Click image for larger version

Name:	Flor rust.jpg
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	1758200Click image for larger version

Name:	Flor rust 2.jpg
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	1758201Over-all the floor is not to badClick image for larger version

Name:	floor rust.jpg
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	1758202Click image for larger version

Name:	Red oxy 2.jpg
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	1758203Yes Pebble beach quality Red Oxide floor paintClick image for larger version

Name:	Rust 1.jpg
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	1758204Click image for larger version

Name:	Red Oxy.jpg
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1758205My goal is nice car that can be used in the summer

You are off to a great start! Looks like a very nice car to start with - will be a lot of fun on some B-roads when the weather is nice.

Rust that your took photos of does not look unusual at all - in fact that front floor looks very good. If it might make you feel a little better, here is how bad it can get...old friends '64 GT looking forward from the left rear wheel opening - rear fender had been removed.

Comment

As for carpeting, I was quite satisfied with Automotive Interiors for $295 (+ shipping) for my 1962 GT. They have a separate web page just for Studebakers. https://www.automotiveinteriors.com/...wk-s/17765.htm

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1891.jpg
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	1721384

Bill L.
      1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Ouch! I will leave my fender on for the time being:P

Comment

Ouch I will leave my fender on for now

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
          You are off to a great start! Looks like a very nice car to start with - will be a lot of fun on some B-roads when the weather is nice.

Rust that your took photos of does not look unusual at all - in fact that front floor looks very good. If it might make you feel a little better, here is how bad it can get...old friends '64 GT looking forward from the left rear wheel opening - rear fender had been removed.

Comment

Ohhh black car red interior! Thanks will order!

Originally posted by 56GH View Post
            As for carpeting, I was quite satisfied with Automotive Interiors for $295 (+ shipping) for my 1962 GT. They have a separate web page just for Studebakers. www.automotiveinteriors.com/studebaker-replacement-carpet-kit-hawk-s/17765.htm

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73825[/ATTACH]

Comment

Update

Well it's amazing what 2 stage rubbing compound followed with polish can do to a dead paint job! The interior has turned out very nice after a serious clean. No cleaning agent would touch the dirt I tried some strong stuff.. So the solution was Methylated spirit... Followed by treating it with a protective formula. The last photo was from when I was cleaning the seats. So I had to align both cars for photo shoot
              Attached Files

Comment

Great looking GT Hawk. Where did this car come from-US?

Comment

Mitka, great job on cleaning that GT Hawk up!! Amazing what some elbow grease will do!

(My example - purchased a low mileage 6-cylinder '64 Commander for parts. Got it home, and started looking at how nice the interior and most of the outside paint (except front fenders/hood) were. Took a weekend to clean the interior, and it came out so very nice that I fixed the car. Outside just needed front fender/hood painted, and one rear door dent fixed.)

Keep us posted as you do more. How does it run and drive?

By the way, love that Corvair!!
                  Paul
                  Winston-Salem, NC
                  Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Originally posted by daytonadave View Post
                    Great looking GT Hawk. Where did this car come from-US?
                    New York. I ordered the documents from Studebaker museum and found it was bought new in New Jersey 20.06.1963 Prepaid! That was a lot of dough to put on the table back then... So it has probably been in New York state most of it's life. Like expected it's also a matching numbers car!

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
                      Mitka, great job on cleaning that GT Hawk up!! Amazing what some elbow grease will do!

(My example - purchased a low mileage 6-cylinder '64 Commander for parts. Got it home, and started looking at how nice the interior and most of the outside paint (except front fenders/hood) were. Took a weekend to clean the interior, and it came out so very nice that I fixed the car. Outside just needed front fender/hood painted, and one rear door dent fixed.)

Keep us posted as you do more. How does it run and drive?

By the way, love that Corvair!!
                      I'm still waiting for the last of the paper work to come back so have not been able to drive yet. It's okay as I also have the red car Its been starting straight away and idles nicely. I inspected a spark plug and it looked very clean. Car stops in the driveway (good start) I do not know New York safety tests, but it passed in May this year so that must be a good sign.. I have tinkered around a little fixing the left wing light and installed two new horns as the old ones where dying. I'm waiting for a new carpet, so I'm exited to get that installed. The last oil change the car had gone 82XXX miles and now its gone 83xxx miles but the label was marked 1983... So Yes changed all fluids and greased the joints I'm saving up for some new tyres as the ones on the car have good thread, but I believe they stopped producing Sears Allstate in 79

Comment

Being in Britain you surely must be the talk of the neighbourhood(queen's spelling) owning not one but two orphans (Corvair not Chevrolet). Congrats on your acquisition.
                        Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                          Being in Britain you surely must be the talk of the neighbourhood(queen's spelling) owning not one but two orphans (Corvair not Chevrolet). Congrats on your acquisition.
                          Bill
                          Haha most people have no clue what they are.. And those who knows what they are say they have not seen one in a long time:P

Comment

Probably a silly question, but what is the black frame over the transmission tunnel for?

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi1 View Post
                              Probably a silly question, but what is the black frame over the transmission tunnel for?

On my '62 Hawk, the seats mount to it. You've done a remarkable job on cleaning that car up Mitka. How did you repair the rust holes? Did you just make patch panels? What sort of primer did you use? My 62' have tin worm as well, hopefully not as bad as that 64.
                              "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

Working...
                              X