• Show
Clear All

• 1949 c-cab 2r5-12

Just got a 2R5-12 pickup
    What does the -12 designate ?
    Rick
    Attached Files
    Last edited by CAPTJ; 07-12-2018, 05:47 AM. Reason: year wrong

First, you have the year wrong. It will be 1949 thru 1953. See chart in Post #16here to determine your year: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-Buy-me-Buy-me

Craig

Comment

sorry saw that too late
      made change and added pic

Comment

Originally posted by CAPTJ View Post
        Just got a 2R5-12 pickup
        What does the -12 designate ?
        Rick
        That number indicates the wheelbase - 112 inches. Although they did not build any (that I know of), but if Studebaker had built a long bed half-ton that year, it would be designated as a 2R5-22 - the eight foot bed trucks rode on a 122 inch wheel base.

Good luck

Comment

the VIN plate says 2R5-12 and it measures as a 112 WB
          Thank u

Comment

I like your boat. That will look good being towed behind the Studebaker pickup.

Comment

it is a 62 Dorsett
              Also designed by Raymond Lowery

Comment

That's cool. I had no idea Raymond Loewy also designed boats.

Comment

I did not either until I researched boat
                  Look at the top windshield on the boat
                  It is almost identical to the rear window on a Hawk
                  I have a 56 Skyhawk and they look like twins

Comment

It will be interesting pulling that boat with a Champion six.
                    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Just remember, it takes a special puller to get the rear hubs off. Don't try it any other way when it comes time to do the brakes.

Comment

yes thank you
                        I have one I use on my Hawk

Comment

haven't decided on how to go on this project
                          I could "p--- Off " a lot of people if I Restomod or I can restore as original
                          I would like to be able to drive it on a regular basis
                          I have no motor or tranny now

Comment

Hey...it is YOUR vehicle...and you will probably not be happy with restoring a useless relic that mainly takes up space and is not much more than a museum piece without a museum to display it in. Especially a larger slow heavy-duty truck that was originally intended for chugging grunt work for businesses in small towns and rural farms. They were built before interstates, cell phone distracted drivers, and traffic closing in from behind at 75mph while on cruise control!!!

All of my Studebakers are pretty much original except for the horribly dangerous original flaking away wiring insulation. It has been replaced and I apologize to no one. Mine are mainly original because I found them that way...I am familiar with the technology...it is simpler to follow the instructions in the manuals...and I ran out of youthful years to go through the trouble to re-engineer them.

If you have the resources, time, and energy...make it into something enjoyable...celebrate with those who appreciate your creativity, and ignore the shallow grumps that envy your success. Even when these "commercial" vehicles were new, business often bought a cab and chassis and modified them for specific tasks. From milk trucks, coal hauling dump trucks, fuel oil trucks, fire trucks, to Book-Mobiles that some dainty little Librarians would deliver books throughout rural communities. So, making one of these vehicles functional for modern traffic should increase the possibility of survival.
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

My 52 pickup came to me with a 64 V-8. It still looks stock and most people wouldn't know the difference. If it had been stock I would have driven it that way for a while and adjusted for its limitations, but a V-8 was in my plan all along.
                              You should do whatever works best for you. You might find a good original drivetrain from a nearby chapter member or someone may have a later V-8 truck with all the pieces you need. Be patient, have a plan, have fun. It's your truck.
                              "In the heart of Arkansas."
                              Searcy, Arkansas
                              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
                              X